PDA

View Full Version : Never should have watched the new DVC DVD

Tink&Goofy
05-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Boy was that a mistake! Now I want to add points at the new AKV!! I've never even been there - but then again, we bought into the Beach Club when we had never even been to WDW!! We were not disappointed then (and we're pretty picky people!), so I'm SURE we wouldn't be disappointed at AKV!
So for those of you that have stayed at AKL, give it to me straight. The good, the bad (is there anything bad??). Its such a unique place that the only downside I see is the proximity to other parks. Is that an issue??
Our original DVC purchase was my doing - and DH was very unsure, but went along with it. I KNOW he would be OK with adding on because the other day when the AKV info arrived he got very excited and asked if I had bought more points! I guess that implies his agreement - so the decision is up to me! So, give me some honest feedback on the AKL!

mprewitt
05-28-2007, 08:53 AM
I've never stayed at the AKL. However, during our 1st trip to WDW in early May 2007, we visited the AKL in order to have dinner at Jiko - the cooking place.

We thought the theming was excellent, and the idea of having animals outside was great. Imagine waking up in the morning and having a giraffe walk by your window.

We ended up going over to SSR and taking the DVC tour. They showed us the SSR rooms as well as the AKV rooms, and we loved the latter.

We signed up as DVC members on the spot and bought into AKV as our home resort. Our first trip "home" will be Dec 2007.

The only negative may be the construction noise while they complete the rooms on the 5th/6th floor of AKL to villas, and when they build Kidani Village.

locodemickey
05-28-2007, 10:43 AM
I must be crazy!!!:D We own 170 pts at BWV and just added 100 pts at AKV last week. We have 3 trips planned this summer about 2 weeks apart in between each(I am a teacher:D). I can't wait to stay at AKV - I hope to make reservations there tomorrow for our July trip. I just couldn't pass up $108 r/t fare from Detroit with no layovers!!:cloud9:

Fortgoofy97
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
We haven't looked at the DVD as yet. But we are planning on adding on more pts. We have go to visit the AKL but not stayed, but friends have and loved it. We want to add on when they started selling AKL pts but still have to pay off last add on first!

Maleficent's Dad
06-04-2007, 04:57 PM
That temptation to add on points is tough to resist, isn't it? ;)

VAKL look fabulous - the water/pool area(s), coupled with the fact that you're at the AKL... If I get the "go ahead" from DW, we'll be adding more points there as well. :mickey:

Deesdisney
06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
We have staryed AKL 2 times know. We love it. However, if you fly and take the bus to the parks it might be a little tough. We always take our car and drive everywhere. The hotel is out away from parks and other hotels. I think that is why I like it. It never seems to be packed with people until dinner because of the restaurants. I am going to buy my first timeshare points at AKL. I hope..

Sharon1026
06-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Our home resort is SSR. We've stayed there and OKW, which people complaing about being far from the parks. That makes me laugh, since AKL is just as far... except to see AK, of course.

Anyway to answer your question - we have stayed at AKL and used the bus system without a problem. Personally, I don't have an issue with using the buses at Disney - it's just part of the deal. Does it take a bit longer than the ferry from boardwalk to mgm or epcot? yes, but honestly, you are on vacation, an extra 15 or 20 minutes isn't going to kill you.

enjoy, enjoy!

cindymouse6
06-09-2007, 11:46 PM
I believe this is the best DVC DVD's since the original ---- member since 2004 and kept my first VCR tape for a year prior to purchasing. This recent DVD is awesome! Have 4 contracts and will be giving a set to someone who is looking to purchase. Does make you want to add on except for one thing ------ prior to adding BC points, the guy at the desk said there was a rumor that a DVC will be build on the monorail system --- that so many requests had been made. He had suggested that they were going to tear down the garden wings of the Contemporary (which appears that is happening from our march visit) and build DVC wings of approx 5-6 stories.... now this was told to us in 2003 --- anyone else heard of a monorail DVC?? I am holding out for that possibility -- we have added 3 times now, and won't add again till there is a monorail DVC.

AKL lodge is stunning, but would rather do concierge service with cash there -- heard it is so worth the money. Now, you can't pool hop to AKL and the pool is fab! That's why we added BC points when the pool hopping privilege was revoked. Can't go wrong, though.

Good luck!:mickey:

Roo Girl
06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
If you think the temptation to add points was bad after watching the DVD, then do not under any circumstances tour the sample AKV rooms at SSR. DH and I took the tour just out of sheer curiosity during our honeymoon this past April- we bought!!!! We added 100 AKV points on the spot. How could we not?? The rooms are FANTASTIC (as shown at SSR preview center) - the selling point for us was the 2 bathrooms in the 1BR accomodations- sure, the 1 bathroom is fine but if we bring our best friends, having that additional bathroom for privacy is something else! We have our first trip "home" to AKV on Dec 5th. CANNOT WAIT!!!