PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Pool Water Temperature

pogo
05-24-2007, 09:51 PM
We've had our pool open for about two weeks now and it's warming up slowly. :(

Today after I got done mowing the lawn I dove in and went for a swim.:diver: After all... it was in the high 80's today and it felt good.;)

My DW thinks I'm nuts,:crazy: but I enjoyed it ! So it inspired this question........:shades: What is the coldest water temperature that you will swim in ?:) Be honest. :D

crazypoohbear
05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
My DS's have gone swimming in the Ocean at Hampton beach NH in early MAY. I don't know what the the water temp was by my sister was standing on the shore line wearing her winter coat!!!
I'm guessing the water may have been around 50 degrees. but I have no idea.
I do know they stayed in the water maybe half an hour. My sister keeps calling them freaks:freeze: :crazy:

Beast_fanatic
05-24-2007, 11:17 PM
I like to wait until the water is at least 80 degrees. Ours was, but we've had some cooler temps and now the water temp has dropped. I may heat it up a bit for the holiday weekend.

DisneyMP3Maker
05-24-2007, 11:43 PM
the coldest water that i've gotten into on my own power was somewhere in the 40 degree range. growing up in MI, the lakes are always cold, but we stayed at a hotel near Mackinac and the pool water was colder than the lake water! My dad and I stayed in maybe 15 minutes, and that was only up to our waists.

MsMin
05-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Since none of you can tell my mom :D
When I was in HS I went to an all girls school and we used to sneak out in Feb. and go swim in the river that ran through town. Not that it gets that cold here but it was the coldest I've been in w/o a wet suit. River water always feels cold to me. What do you think it could have been? 65 or 70 degrees? We used to water ski in January in Lake Pontchartrain when I was young but w/ wet suits.
Now swimming for fun and not dares??? I like my water a little warmer esp. since I'm older.

vizsla
05-25-2007, 05:42 AM
As long as the water is over 80 I will go for a swim. The warmer the better for me. I just opened our pool last night and the water temp was only 74. To cold for me.

pogo
05-25-2007, 07:07 AM
I like to wait until the water is at least 80 degrees.
You are just like my DW.... she waits until 80 and sometimes she only gets in a few times a summer. :(

the coldest water that i've gotten into on my own power was somewhere in the 40 degree range. growing up in MI, the lakes are always cold, but we stayed at a hotel near Mackinac and the pool water was colder than the lake water! My dad and I stayed in maybe 15 minutes, and that was only up to our waists.
Northerners seem to be a hardier bunch but even I won't swim in 40 degree water and everyone knows I'm a little :crazy:

As long as the water is over 80 I will go for a swim. The warmer the better for me. I just opened our pool last night and the water temp was only 74. To cold for me.It must be nice.:blush: When I opened my pool the water temp was only 54. Just for the record.... last night it was 70 degrees and I thought it was perfect.:thumbsup: Thanks for the answers. :D

Carol
05-25-2007, 08:26 AM
This New Yorker hasn't even opened her pool yet. We'll do it next weekend. Too cold for me. I need 80+.

Mickey'sGirl
05-25-2007, 08:31 AM
It must be nice. When I opened my pool the water temp was only 54. Just for the record.... last night it was 70 degrees and I thought it was perfect.:thumbsup: Thanks for the answers. :D
You are making me so jealous! We've moved over the winter, and we don't have a pool anymore :( . That said, I'm a good Canadian girl, and I am sure that I have swam in lakes in the 50 degree range as a kid . It needs to be 80ish now that I'm all grown up! :snorkel: :diver: :surfing:

conorsmom2000
05-25-2007, 08:50 AM
We opened our pool last weekend and the temperature was 62 degrees!!! :snowball: I believe it's now up to 75+, which is still way too cold for me!

I start at 80 degrees, where I may put my feet in....as the degrees go up, the more body parts I'll lower into the pool! :D

We have a solar cover which it would have been helpful to put on for yesterday and today as it's almost 90 here - but, alas, my poor hubby ended up in the ER with a kidney stone last night - so, no work on the pool until the arrival of a bouncing baby stone! :D

:surfing:

we've been talking about different heater options for the pool - does anyone have a heater??

Mickey'sGirl
05-25-2007, 08:52 AM
we've been talking about different heater options for the pool - does anyone have a heater??

We had solar heaters.....panels that the water ran through and then was pumped into the pool. They really worked well...and less expensive than running a gas heater. :thumbsup:

I hope Mike is feeling better soon! He has work to do! ;)

conorsmom2000
05-25-2007, 09:02 AM
We had solar heaters.....panels that the water ran through and then was pumped into the pool. They really worked well...and less expensive than running a gas heater. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jenn! That's exactly what we were looking at - we don't want to run a gas line down to the pool and we're afraid the electric heaters would be expensive to run - so, Mike's been researching the solar panels. The problem is the way the sun hits the pool - they would have to be right in front of the pool and he's not sure how that would look. But, still, we think that's going to be the way to go! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the good thoughts for Mike - I just hope this passes quickly so his long weekend isn't ruined! :beer:

Disney Doll
05-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I hate cold water now, but as a kid I can remember begging my mom to swim as soon as the pool was open. She always made us check the outdoor air temp. If it was 90 degrees or more she figured the water had to be warm enough.

SgtTigger
05-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Since none of you can tell my mom :D

One day just one day I will meet your mom........... :D

80 plus for me.... 83 is ok.......
Now if they finish the new pool I could go swim....

:cop: :tigger: