PDA

View Full Version : Jimmies or Sprinkles?

Tinkermom
05-24-2007, 08:40 PM
My 12 year old son and I have been arguing over what you call those little colorful (or chocolate) candies that go on top of ice cream. DH and I were raised on the east coast (N.J.) and have always called them jimmies. We have lived in Kansas now for 10 years and my kids call them sprinkles as that is what they are called around here. So what do you call them?:cool:

EmiB
05-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm from North Jersey and we call them sprinkles here.

Although, my boyfriend (from South Jersey) calls them jimmies. We argue over this all the time.
We've actually gotten free ice cream from people working at Ben and Jerry's shops because we usually cause the whole place to argue over it.
I find it's usually split 50/50.

goofiecrazy
05-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I am from Wilmington Delaware and we call them jimmies.

snifflesmcg
05-24-2007, 09:35 PM
I thought I was the only one that argued over this issue. I've been going back and forth with my boyfriend for a year over the jimmies/sprinkles debate. I grew up in North Jersey, I call them sprinkles. He in South Central PA and calls them jimmies.

PirateLover
05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
It's always been jimmies around here. I'm from Philly. I think "sprinkles" sounds really...girly I guess is the word? I can't imagine a man asking for sprinkles haha.

SBETigg
05-24-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm from MA and I have heard people call them sprinkles and jimmies in equal measure. My family has always said sprinkles.

MissStyles
05-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Jimmies all the way!!! (I'm from Massachusetts). I always feel so weird ordering sprinkles, but I must since I live in the south now. As long as they dip the entire cone in the pile of jimmies I'm content. I can't stand when I get jipped! :secret:

Melanie
05-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Never even heard the term 'jimmies'. :shrug:

Sprinkles for me! :magic:

pogo
05-24-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm from the Central New York area near Rome and I've always called them sprinkle's. Here in Rochester, about 150 miles away my DW has always called them Jimmies. In honor of her, I voted for Jimmies. :D

crazypoohbear
05-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Jimmies definately.
I don't know where we learned they were jimmies as we lived all over the place:D
Sprinkles are what happens when it's not really raining out;)

Namine'
05-24-2007, 11:27 PM
I am from Brooklyn,N.Y. and we always called them sprinkles. Moved more north (upstate) thats were I heard about jimmies:)

January-2007
05-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Sprinkles. When wondering what jimmies were when reading the title of the thread I thought maybe another kind of candy or something. Sprinkles all the way. We like chocolate sprinkles on chocolate soft serve from a local place across the street from our favorite camping spot. Good stuff. We're in Maryland by the way, and I've never heard of jimmies. Everybody calls them sprinkles.

MsMin
05-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Sprinkles. When wondering what jimmies were when reading the title of the thread I thought maybe another kind of candy or something. Sprinkles all the way. We like chocolate sprinkles on chocolate soft serve from a local place across the street from our favorite camping spot. Good stuff. We're in Maryland by the way, and I've never heard of jimmies. Everybody calls them sprinkles.

:ditto: I must be too far south b/c I've never heard of Jimmies either......I thought that was a truck or SUV???

Jimenyfan
05-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Born in Philly, raised in South Jersey and they have always been jimmies to me.

mrsgaribaldi
05-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Staten Island NY, sprinkles. But I have heard the other term used too:mickey:

Bethanymouse
05-25-2007, 07:18 AM
I always called them sprinkles but my mom calls them jimmies!

Vigan
05-25-2007, 07:41 AM
I couldn't vote for either!!!

In England we call them 'hundreds n thousands' :clappy:

MissStyles
05-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I couldn't vote for either!!!

In England we call them 'hundreds n thousands' :clappy:

I don't know why but that is so cute to me. I love England! :thumbsup:

Carol
05-25-2007, 08:23 AM
New Yorker = Sprinkles

ChipnDaleGal
05-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Born and raised in northern Indiana and I have never even heard of the term "jimmies". Guess it is somewhat of a non-issue for me because no matter what they are called they are kinda gross to me.

DizNee143
05-25-2007, 08:43 AM
sprinkles!!! i still remember when i first heard the term jimmies..i didnt want to sound stupid and ask what they were talking about so i just waited to see what it was...and when i found out they were talking about sprinkles..i though it was rather weird...ive lived in NY, PA, and NJ..and they have always been sprinkles to me...but whatever!! the rainbow ones are the best of top of soft vanilla ice cream!!! yummmy!!! :D

conorsmom2000
05-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Another one in North Jersey and we call them sprinkles!

Just for fun, I looked in my cabinet to see what the containers say (with a 7 year old, we have a wide variety of sprinkles - all shapes and sizes!!) They all say "sprinkles" with the exception of the little tiny ones that just say "nonpariels" :D

ElenitaB
05-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Brooklyn born and Long Island bred and they've always been sprinkles for me. Nothing like a Mr. Softee vanilla cone with chocolate sprinkles in the summer! :cloud9:

mtown71
05-25-2007, 09:02 AM

Same here...new word for me.
Sprinkles for me! Love the different color ones!

disneydrmr
05-25-2007, 10:09 AM
I have ALWAYS called them sprinkles and that is the only word I've ever heard for them.. until.. I began working at the food storage place I work at.. we carry them and in our system they are called "Jimmies"... I had to ask what they were when I first saw the word in our system. My husband used to drive a Jimmie...

ChipDale
05-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Never heard of "jimmies" until I saw them on "Unwrapped". :shrug:

We've always called them sprinkles.

Tinkermom
05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
My son is very happy to have proven his case (at least by the poll). :rocker:

In reading the replys it seems that most of us that call them "jimmies" are from the South Jersey/Philly area. I grew up in South Jersey. Maybe it is a very local thing. :shrug:

Whatever you call them I love them! My favorite is chocolate jimmies (sprinkles :rolleyes:) on top of vanilla soft serve. YUM!

JessicaRabbit
05-25-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm from MA/NH and we have always called them "jimmies". I wonder how this candy got the nick-name "jimmies" and why it is so regional.:confused:

emmatink
05-25-2007, 12:20 PM
I am originally from Maine and we always called them jimmies too. I went to college in Connecticut and all of my friends there thought it was funny because they called them sprinkles. My hubby is from Georgia which is where we live now and they are called sprinkles down here too. It's just like soda, pop and coke. Soda in the northeast, pop in the midwest and coke down south. My husband still to this day makes fun of me if I ask him if he wants a soda....he says it's called coke and then I am supposed to ask him what kind of coke he wants...weird huh?

DisneyDog
05-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I remember we had this same exact debate my freshman year of college (many years ago!). The folks from the Philly area called them jimmies and the folks from North Jersey called them sprinkles.

We decided to comprise: the chocolate ones were jimmies and the colored ones were rainbow sprinkles. I've called them that ever since.

Riri529
05-25-2007, 12:38 PM
I've lived in Brooklyn and Staten Island. I've gone to school in Queens and Manhattan. All over NYC these are called Sprinkles. However, when visiting family in NJ only 75 miles away from NYC they were always called Jimmies! Hmmmm
This is similar to the Hero/Hogie/Grinder issue.

pshokie
05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
As a kid I called them sprinkles, then Jimmies as a teen/adult.

Now that I have kids, it's back to sprinkles again!

ariel03
05-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm in burlington county NJ which is half way though the state so we have ppl call them both here. I have always called them sprinkles. I have heard more ppl call them sprinkles then jimmies in my lifetime here.

Disney Doll
05-25-2007, 01:53 PM
I'd never even heard of jimmies until I read your post. I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life and it's sprinkles around here.

PirateLover
05-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Just for the heck of it, I checked out personal jimmie/sprinkle supply. They just say "decors" on them. Lol.

Bethis26fan
05-25-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm from SC and I call them sprinkles

Belle619
06-05-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm from the Central New York area near Rome and I've always called them sprinkle's. Here in Rochester, about 150 miles away my DW has always called them Jimmies. :D

Yes, I was born and raised in Rochester, NY and we always called them jimmies.

MScholl13
06-05-2007, 06:17 PM

I'm another one who has never heard the term "jimmies". I grew up in Oklahoma and we've always called the sprinkles. :)

BronxTigger
06-05-2007, 07:05 PM

Ditto!

DMApixie
06-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Just for the heck of it, I checked out personal jimmie/sprinkle supply. They just say "decors" on them. Lol.

Me too, I checked in my pantry and fully expected for them to say "sprinkles"!

Never heard of "jimmies" until I saw them on "Unwrapped". :shrug:

We've always called them sprinkles.

Out here in So Cal, I've only known them as sprinkles...Jimmies are SUVs. ;)

Epc0tphr34k
06-06-2007, 01:57 PM
we call them peuch in my family. its some italian word, its what my grandfather called them. most people here in CT call them sprinkles tho

Tinkerfreak
06-06-2007, 02:53 PM
I remember we had this same exact debate my freshman year of college (many years ago!). The folks from the Philly area called them jimmies and the folks from North Jersey called them sprinkles.

We decided to comprise: the chocolate ones were jimmies and the colored ones were rainbow sprinkles. I've called them that ever since.

I was just going to say that for some reason here in Maine the brown ones are Jimmies and the rainbow ones are sprinkles.

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
06-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I am from the suburbs of Philadelphia. We always called them jimmies. As a matter of fact, I had a friend in grade school that had a brother named Jimmy. She was jealous that the "sprinkles" were named after him so she used to order Marys on her ice cream. :geek2:

aprilisis
06-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Born & raised in MA and always called them Jimmies. I have heard people call them sprinkles, though. Either way, I like the colored ones. :D

Dsnygirl
06-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Born & raised in NY and we've always called them "sprinkles"... they do where we vacation in Maine, too. Yumm!!

Tinkermom
06-06-2007, 11:18 PM
I. She was jealous that the "sprinkles" were named after him so she used to order Marys on her ice cream. :geek2:

I love that! Too funny!:rotfl:

Patti
06-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I have lived in South Jersey all my life and we call them jimmies.

DREAMADREAM93
06-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Born in raised in Dixie.
Down here, we call them sprinkles :]

i didnt even know people called them jimmies...

JOrdan:]

5fromabove
06-08-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm from New England and they are definitely jimmies to me. Funny though because when I lived out west for awhile, they were sprinkles out there. When my DD goes out to there to visit, she gets into arguments with her relatives about what they are called. :blush: Mmmm...Dairy Queen vanilla ice-cream cones with chocolate jimmies :cloud9: