PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever eaten at ...

dog-ears
05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
the Teppanyaki restaurant in Epcot?

the Crystal Palace (for dinner) in MK?

the Brown Derby in MGM?

Portobello Yacht Club or Raglan Road in DD?

or Jiko at the AKL?

Did you like it? What did you get? Would you go again? or any tips pertaining to the specific restaurant? :chef:

Going to make our ADRs this weekend and want to try some places we've never been. Over the years, we've been to everything else and of course, we have some favorites that we always go to.

Any advice/opinions on these restaurants are welcome! THX !!

offwego
05-24-2007, 03:19 PM
We've done Jiko's several times.

The halibut with burre blanc is amazing, the steak and mac and cheese are great and so is the lamb shank & the desserts are all good! (and we've enjoyed most of the apps too). It's my eleven year old's fave spot.

Jimenyfan
05-24-2007, 03:28 PM
We've eaten at both Teppanyaki and Crystal Palace. Crystal Palace is a buffett with a large variety of food. At Teppanyaki we have had chicken and steak and shrimp and scallops all of the food was very good.

tink'72
05-24-2007, 03:44 PM
I ate at the Crystal Palace for the first time December of 2002...and go back each time we visit!

It is one of my families favorite restaurants. The food is good, character interaction is great and the service is fabulous.

pox24
05-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Jiko... the rest were just average.

Quasimodo
05-24-2007, 03:52 PM
I've been to all except Jiko and Raglan.

Teppanyaki is pretty much the same as any other Japanese hibachi grill style restaurant you can find outside of WDW. The food is good, but we never go there because its so similar to Japanese restaurants here in Atlanta. If you never eat at Japanese hibachi restaurants at home, its worth trying.

Crystal Palace, as already mentioned, is a buffet style restaurant. The food is average. Nothing spectacular, but definately better than counter service food. Its a character meal with Pooh characters. So if the kiddies are into Pooh, its a good choice.

Brown Derby is the nicest restaurant in MGM. Its slightly upscale compared to other MGM restaurants, and little pricey. The food is just ok in my opinion. But this is probably just my tastes. Others may find the food very good. Definitely check the menu first.

Portobello Yacht Club is also a bit upscale and pricey. However I think the food here is very good. I recommend it if you are going to be at DTD or PI in the evening.

Katarch
05-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Ate at Jiko just last week for the 1st time - it was excellent! :thumbsup: Taste of Africa appetizer & chicken dish were really good!
The Cobb Salad at the Brown Derby is really good - menu is a little pricey though.
Teppanyaki is good but it's your typical Japanese Hibachi steakhouse.:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
05-24-2007, 04:37 PM
the Teppanyaki restaurant in Epcot?
Fancier version of Benihana chain throughout the US. Very good food IMHO. Nicer atmosphere as there are separate "rooms" and each hosts two hibachi grill tables.

the Crystal Palace (for dinner) in MK?
It's a buffet - a good one, but still a buffet.
Added bonus of Pooh & pals. Cute (albeit small) "children's buffet area." Nice dessert selections.

the Brown Derby in MGM?
One of Disney's finer dining establishments. Amazing that this place is in a theme park! Excellent service, great food - including good rolls! Cobb Salad always makes for a fine lunch.

Portobello Yacht Club or Raglan Road in DD?
Prefer Portobello over Raglan Road - Felt Raglan Road was expensive for what you got, very crowded and very loud.
Portobello was a fine experience and we had outstanding food & service.

or Jiko at the AKL?
Another example of excellent food at WDW - you can't go wrong here!!!

Crow
05-24-2007, 04:46 PM
the Teppanyaki restaurant in Epcot? yes few yrs ago. might go in Sept

the Crystal Palace (for dinner) in MK? No

the Brown Derby in MGM? Yes twice and liked it. i would again, mayb as part of the Fantasmic pkg. its the best of the places ive tried at MGM

Portobello Yacht Club or Raglan Road in DD?No but im thinking about Raglan in Sept

or Jiko at the AKL? Yes twice on dates w ex. filet & mac n cheese good. but doubt if i will again. too many other places to eat, and its further from my usual stomping grounds when im at WDW

Did you like it? What did you get? Would you go again? or any tips pertaining to the specific restaurant? :chef:

Going to make our ADRs this weekend and want to try some places we've never been. Over the years, we've been to everything else and of course, we have some favorites that we always go to.

mrsgaribaldi
05-24-2007, 05:16 PM
We love Brown Derby and Crystal Palace:thumbsup:

thejens
05-24-2007, 11:01 PM
If you are at MGM/studios Brown Derby is the place to go, excellent. The food was very good. Very calm and relaxing, fine dining, but not fussy.

JCDarzi
05-24-2007, 11:14 PM
We loved Teppanyaki in Epcot. We make a point to eat there every trip. True, it is like many Japanese steakhouses but just like Disney, it just seems better.

We have only had CP for breakfast. Love the atmosphere and the Pooh characters.

Kairi_7378
05-24-2007, 11:53 PM
My husband and I dined at the Brown Derby on 3/26/07. I had the crab cake, salmon, and the bananas foster cake. Husband had mushroom ravioli, fillet, and the white chocolate cheesecake. We were on the dining plan, otherwise this meal would have cost $95! The service was excellent and the food was very good. However, I thought the portions were a little small (my crab cake was about 2" in diameter.) Additionally, a lot of people had children in the restaurant who were tired from a day of touring in the parks and were too tired to behave through a nice dinner. (The little girl next to us was climbing on her seat and smacked her head on the table and she screamed for a half hour. Not the restaurant's fault, though.) The restaurant is beautiful!

ginger19
05-25-2007, 12:15 PM
CP was average. The buffet was pretty basic and maybe we were just sick of the same buffet over and over again as it's very similar to other buffets there (Chef Mickeys and H&V).

Rayadragon
05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
My family actually thought the CP buffet was better than most of the other ones we'd been to on our trip last october except Boma of course :mickey:). We thought they had a good variety of food and good character interaction.

dog-ears
05-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the great comments - it will really help me decide as I make my ADRs this weekend!;)

LibertyTreeGal
05-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Crystal Palace was awesome for dinner and had great interaction. Their ancho chili rubbed salmon is so good that my 4 year olds kept going back for more (and our server just stood there in disbelief as they wolfed it down). This was far superior to dinner at Chef Mickeys!

Tigerlilly
05-25-2007, 05:28 PM
We dined at both the Portabello Yacht Club and Raglan Road on our last trip.

Portabello was nice but I found its menu to be very limited. Everything was good though. The cast members were excellent. It was just a nice place - not particularly Disney at all, just a nice upscale restaurant where I felt kinda dumb in my shorts and T-shirt (Could have been all the prom kids though).
Raglan Road I was disappointed in. The food was AWESOME. I had the Seared Scallop appetizer and the Sod the Stew and both were amazing. But the atmosphere left me bored. I have heard a lot of people talk about it being loud and live acts. We found it to be very quiet and just a lot of canned U2 and Cranberries. We really picked Raglan Road for the atmosphere and came away disappointed.

Septbride2002
05-25-2007, 05:43 PM
the Brown Derby in MGM?

We ate there back in 2002 for our honeymoon and felt there was much to be desired. I think part of that was the fact that we were EXHAUSTED that day, and also the food seems sort of overdone in the "fancy" kind of way. MGM seems like such a burgers and fries kind of place that I feel the brown derby is out of place.

~Amanda

disney100%
05-25-2007, 07:52 PM
My DH and I love Teppanyaki. We have eaten there a few times and have had excellent food every visit. If you are a sushi fan, they also have delicious sushi. (We don't have any Japanese restaurants here where I live in NH (big shock to some of you, I know ;)), so we find Teppanyaki a fun experience for us.

Guya103
05-26-2007, 09:52 PM
The Crystal Palace is always great, though we prefer it for breakfast. We love Brown Derby. The atmosphere and menu are great and it is a great place to relax from the crowds and the heat. The Grapefruit Cake and the Cobb Salad are fantastic!!:mickey:

disneygirlie11
05-27-2007, 12:56 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE Teppenyaki!! It's our favorite!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Squeaky Mouse
05-27-2007, 09:27 AM
We just recently had a meal at the Brown Derby. It was good but not as good as say California Grill or Kona Cafe. The prices seemed a little higher for what you get, too. This is probably because the BD is inside a park -- more convenient.

USCTinkerbell
05-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Crystal Palace was one of the worst meals we have had at WDW. We were there in February right before closing for the ppp and the waitress was uninterested, the food was overcooked and yucky and it took over an hour before any character made it's way to us. We were waiting 20 miuntes after eating just to see the first character.

This is the reason we aren't doing any buffets this coming trip.

I've found that hitting them anywhere close to closing is a bad idea. Some places like Chef Mickey's was nice because the characters were putting on a show for u:mickey:s since it was dead but the food was not the best.

iceicebritney
05-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Teppanyaki- yes, below par compared to many other japanese restaurants

Crystal Palace for dinner - yes, not worth it.. really theres no where good to eat in magic kingdom. they're all buffets.

Brown Derby is excellent... had many things on the menu, i like their surf and turf and the pastas... they used to have awesome crab cakes too - dunno if still do

Raglan Road in DD - really yummy, great menu. very nice staff also. if u have no kids or are going out for the nite w/o the kids, this is the place to go a little later. the irish entertainment on stage is great, and gets better as the night (and alcohol) goes on!!

Jiko is great, so is boma the buffet right next to it - one of the only buffet's i will eat. great marinades on the chicken and other meats at both

Sharon1026
05-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Jiko is great!!

Portobello - yuk!! Ate there, hated it.

Maleficent's Dad
05-29-2007, 09:16 PM
really theres no where good to eat in magic kingdom. they're all buffets.
.........errrr, not to get off topic here, but kind of weird you say this when the CP is the only buffet in the MK. :confused: