PDA

View Full Version : Pop century area

The Phantom
05-23-2007, 11:31 PM
I was killing time looking at the satellite images on windows live local and I noticed something odd. Directly west of Pop Century (across the water) is a cleared area for what looks like either a future or a former resort. I can make out footprints for buildings that look to be the same size & shape as the All-Star type room buildings. I would guess that there was something there before, as there is a bridge across the lake from pop century. Does anybody know what this used to be?
Is this the Phase II of Pop Century?

Piglet822
05-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Is this the Phase II of Pop Century?

Yes, what was to be called the Legendary or Legend years. All construction on Pop Century was stopped right after 9/11. It was a year or two later that Pop Classic was completed but since then, nothing has been done on Pop Legend :shrug:
I've heard many different reasons as to why not but it still doesn't make any sense to me to have those skeletons sitting there when I know Disney could fill the rooms.

johnO
05-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah it's very odd for WDW to leave something there that's such an eyesore. As piglet wrote, they stopped construction shortly after 9/11 due to decrease in demand. I've read the WDW stills sees that there is not enough demand to continue with the construction, hence the buildings remain incomplete. I wonder if the demand will ever be there for that many more value rooms?

:mickey:

Mickey91
05-24-2007, 10:42 AM
As popular as Pop Century is, I am surprised that they don't finish the Legendary Years. There are rumers floating around that they may do more value suites in that area. I think they should go with the saying, "If we build it, they will come":mickey: I know a lot of people would have appreciated more on sight accomodations in Dec '06.