PDA

View Full Version : feeding DSTeen on DDP

septembergirl
05-23-2007, 10:52 PM
We will be trying the DDP for the first time this Sept. I have read many times here and elsewhere how much food you get on the DDP. However, I have 2 teenaged sons that seem to never get full. I have actually been wondering if we will need to supplement the DDP between meals. Any parents out there with teen boys who can give me some idea of what to expect?

PirateLover
05-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Some people claim it isn't the "wisest" use of the DDP but I would recommend buffets. All of our TS choices this time around ended up being buffets or all you can eat family style, and after the number crunching we still came out on top. Have them use their snack credits for bags of chips, ice cream, popcorn etc and pay out of pocket for drinks. And if you don't eat as much as they do, throw some of your CS credits their way. My cousin is a vacuum when it comes to food and even he was satisfied on the dining plan.:thumbsup:

Natazu
05-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Uh, I wouldn't expect a problem. I could be wrong, though. ;)

biodtl
05-24-2007, 09:04 AM
The thing is that DDP isn't different food from what you would get if you went OOP. It's just pre-paid, basically (minus a few restaurants that don't participate). So if they normally eat between meals, they probably will at WDW, too. If not, they should be fine (other than the fact that there is so much in WDW to tempt you).

And PirateLover is right - do a lot of buffets and they can eat to their hearts' content.

SBETigg
05-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I have one of those! My son is so thin, always hungry, turning 16 tomorrow. He can eat all day right up until meal time, put away a whole bunch of food, and be hungry again in an hour. He could stuff himself at a buffet and still be hungry about an hour later. Buffets, in fact, aren't really necessary because the appetizer-entree-dessert seems to be enough at one sitting. It's the pre-meal hunger and after-meal hunger that you're concerned about, I'm sure.

I think the CS meal and snack choices will allow you to keep them full. The rest of us will have too much food and probably give our snack credits and maybe some CS credits to the DS. That might be the way it goes for you, too. Otherwise, you may end up purchasing a few extra snacks but you keep so busy at WDW that even the teenaged boys seem to forget about eating as often. The DP food will probably be enough as long as you can distract them with rides. And all of the activity and warm weather at WDW helps keep the appetite in check, too. It's hard to go on some of the wilder rides with a stuffed tum.

MsMin
05-24-2007, 12:38 PM
I've brought several guys in their early 20's and didn't have a problem. They are so busy. I think you got some great suggestions, buffets are great for filling those big appetites and the meals are very very filling. Maybe you can ask for a desert to go if other's don't eat everything and you will have a little something extra for later. We found that bringing uneaten food to the room went to waste b/c we were too full the next night as well.
Try to use the snack credits wisely, it may help to use them on something filling or something to cut the appetite than on water;)
Many restauarants serve wonderful bread with the meal and that can often help fill those boys. I think my son could eat a loaf before dinner.

DDuck66
05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Also, the snack credits can be used by anyone. If you or your SO does not want the snack, then let the boys have it. We used almost all of our snacks and kept the room supplied with water, fruit, and soft drinks.

septembergirl
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Also, the snack credits can be used by anyone. If you or your SO does not want the snack, then let the boys have it. We used almost all of our snacks and kept the room supplied with water, fruit, and soft drinks.

This is a great idea that I had never thought of...But what is "SO"?

SBETigg
05-24-2007, 05:44 PM
This is a great idea that I had never thought of...But what is "SO"?

I'm guessing Significant Other. It can be confusing. But yes, others in your party may fill up more easily than the teenagers and have credits to spare. This is handy.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-24-2007, 06:37 PM
My 2 nephews are healthy eaters. When they used the free dining plan last Aug, they were calling me and saying they didn't want to eat anymore! I couldn't believe my ears.
Joe said that you eat, burp and then it's time to eat again.

Tygger7
05-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Since the sit-down restaurants include an appetizer, main course, and dessert for EVERY person, I think they should be fine. When everyone in your party is getting appetizers and desserts, it's easy to share because I've rarely seen anyone be able to eat everything by themselves. Buffets are good advice to, but as others have mentioned, not quite as good a value. As for snacks, lots of great suggestions there too...in fact, we had trouble using all our snacks, even with teenagers. :mickey:

Cinderelley
05-27-2007, 12:10 AM
We went with three teen boys. Yes, they got full when we sat down to eat, but in another couple of hours, they were ready to eat some more. We just made sure they had extra money for snacks. It quickly became a routine, one wanted popcorn, one wanted a mickey bar and one wanted one of the cookie ice creams. We usually had a stop between breakfast and lunch, between lunch and dinner and grabbing something as we were waiting for Wishes/Illuminations/Fantasmic. The only time they got full was when we went during the Food & Wine Festival. We took a couple of hundred dollars and taste tested a few things from each booth. Even though we all shared the samples, they were stuffed by the time we made it around World Showcase. I never thought I would see that day.

septembergirl
05-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Even though we all shared the samples, they were stuffed by the time we made it around World Showcase. I never thought I would see that day.

:funny: I can relate to this. My DSs are tall and then and DS12 is pretty muscular :muscles:. But as we say here in the south, they've got hollow legs!