PDA

View Full Version : Excursions for Families with Young Children

tarzan_rocks
05-23-2007, 06:24 PM
We are planning a family cruise for summer 2008, the four-night Bahamian. We will be traveling with a five-year-old and a two-year-old. We have started looking into excursions. What excursions can anyone recommend for a family with small children? We are finding that most seem to be geared toward adults or at least older kids. We’re also finding that most of the excursions seem pricey compared to their entertainment potential. I expect while at Castaway Cay we will just want to play and swim at the beach. Is there any additional cost for that? In Nassau, are there things to do other than the excursions? Is it even worth getting off the boat if we can’t find an excursion that will be fun for our family at a price we think is reasonable?

One other somewhat related question. How are meals handled at the ports of call? Are there places to eat off the boat? If so, are those meals included like the meals onboard?

Thanks as always for your responses.

tr

TammiMcMan
05-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately, I think the majority of excursions offered through DCL do have at least a 3 year old minimum. I imagine this is for liability/insurance issues. I know if you book the Nassau Dolphin Encounter on your own, then children aged 5 and younger, can do the encounter (but not swim with the dolphins). You can also head over to the Atlantis on your own and purchase your aquarium tickets separately without an age requirement. Taxis and water shuttles are available just outside the welcome center. We've been to Nassau a few times and now we actually prefer staying on the ship. They still have activities going on and you get the pools almost all to yourselves.

On Castaway Cay, playing in the water or along the beach is included. Your 5 year old can still participate in the kids club if they want.

As far as food is concerned, the only place it will not cost you extra to eat in port, is Castaway Cay. That's a Disney island, so food service is included. If you decide to get off the ship in Nassau, you'll be paying for meals out of your own pocket. The ship still offers dining while it's in port, just be sure to check the restaurant schedules as they do vary.

FatCat
05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I agree. Nassua is not that nice.(For young kids anyways) And the Atlantis aquarium excursion is very pricey. We just walk into Nassau. Do a bit of shopping. Then back to the boat. We dine on the boat so no extra fee. We had a two year old with us at the time as well. Needed to get back to the boat for nap time.

tarzan_rocks
05-29-2007, 12:34 PM
I think we are decided on getting off and enjoying Castaway Cay but staying onboard at Nassau. The feedback has been very helpful. Thanks.

tr