PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #37

King Triton
05-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Here's one I don't see asked too often: In Epcot, which do you prefer: Future World or the World Showcase? I can see good arguments for both.

Y100Q38 will appear in Accommodations, most likely on Thursday

The review of questions 21-30 is complete:
Review of Questions 21-30 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=105376)

avantgardeinker
05-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Definitely World Showcase!! We usually spend most of our time there on the day we go to EPCOT and then we usually go back for a partial day, maybe to eat dinner or something. That's where the best restaurants on property are. We're planning on going to 3 of the WS restaurants on our next trip. And getting to experience differnt cultures is so much fun. The entertainment is really good too. We never miss Off Kilter or MoRockin.

197 more days!!
:mickey:

indytraveler
05-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I can spend a day doing each. But the rides Soarin, Test Track, SE just won out.

BrerSchultzy
05-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure why I picked WS, but I did. I think if it had been Epcot 89, then I definitely would have gone with FW....but I feel as though it has lost a bit of the magic that surrounded it back then. Now, it's thrill rides and cool stations. That, and back in 89, I didn't enjoy eating and...um....sampling tasty adult beverages from around the world. That definitely put me over for WS.

LittleD
05-23-2007, 10:08 AM
I love World Showcase. It's great talking to all of the CM's from aroung the world. World Showcase is terrific during the EPCOT Food & Wine Festival.
Future World needs a lot of updating to make it seem like a future world.

k_reile
05-23-2007, 10:16 AM
I voted WS because I love to see all of the different cultures.

MOJoe
05-23-2007, 10:34 AM
I love SSE, and Soarin, but i find that i just can't linger in Future World because World Showcase is calling me. The feeling i get from World Showcase is like no other. And i just can't wait to get there. :cloud9: :beer: :cloud9:

Ms.Disney
05-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Do to my love for SSE and TT I voted for FW:mickey:

biodtl
05-23-2007, 11:15 AM
This was a tough one. As much as I love the rides/attractions in FW, there is nothing quite like strolling around WS.

Rodders
05-23-2007, 11:15 AM
My wife and I loved WS. We walked anticlockwise on our honeymoon visit at night and had a beer / wine in most countries (Not UK, didn't see much point :D ). I think it's fair to say that I was "well refreshed" by the time we left Mexico. :thedolls:

darthmacho
05-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Future World is good, but there is something about World Showcase that is wonderfully relaxing and completely immersive at the same time.

glenpreece
05-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I picked FW because it had more to do then WS. To me going to WDW is about doing Disney related things and WS although it is beautiful is just so broing to me. I f I wanted to go to Italy I'd travel there same goes for the other countries. I go to WDW for Disney not to see other countries. Not to mention how stereotypical they are. I'm sorry but I am Canandian and I don't own any plaid shirts, I don't eat whale, I HATE Maple anything etc. Just like I am sure the Chinese don't all wear kimonos all day every day and carry paper fans with them everywher. Ok I am done ranting lol.

Figment78
05-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Another tough one! I don't know where you come up with these questions but they are great! I love thinking about my vote and seeing others thoughts as well.

I voted World Showcase and let me tell you why...

I love Future World and believe strongly that Epcot would not be Epcot without it. It is the heart of the "Experimental" prototype community of tomorrow. I love every "land" in Future world, from the fasinating Living with the Land ride and inspiring Journey into Imagination to the thrills of Mission Space and Test Track.

I will be visiting Disneyland for the first time in just a few days. While I'm very excited to visit the first park that Walt built, I will sorely miss Epcot and the World Showcase being a part of my Disney vacation. I guess it's the old, "You don't appreciate it until it's gone" theory - I didn't realize how much I loved world showcase until I couldn't have it. I'm excited to see the culture of Cali in DCA though... Mission Tortilla Factory and Wine Country Trattoria here I come!

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to go to DL, but it helped me answer your question, which was SO tough!

Also on a more practical note, I feel that the WS gives people who may never have the opportunity to visit other countries a taste of their culture. Plus I love Illuminations, which I consider to be a part of the world showcase. and of course... the food! and the shopping!

Tynkerbelle
05-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Aside from TT, Soarin & Journey into Imagination, FW just doesn't excite me. I could easily spend the entire day in WS - I love the eating and drinking (especially during the F&W Festival) :tasty: the shows and shops are pretty cool, too!

Figgyluv03
05-23-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm a futureworld kind of gal! Don't get me wrong, I love exploring the different cultures of World Showcase, but I'm a science geek, so that that stuff in FW amazes me!

johnO
05-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Wow, what a tough question! They're both so different.

January-2007
05-23-2007, 12:21 PM
I voted for World Showcase. Love "O Canada" because my DH made so much fun of the song all throughout our Honeymoon. I'm not really interested in a lot of the Future World headliners, and while I do enjoy Future World, I think overall we get more from World Showcase. It's fun to jaunt from country to country.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Maybe it's because I'm still younger but I LOVE future world. I can spend a whole day there and not think twice about going to World Showcase. I still go over there but I spend most of my time in FW.

LilOrmstonViolet38
05-23-2007, 12:38 PM
World Showcase!!!!! i love alot of the Future World stuff, especially Living Seas (i'm a Nemo Freak!) and i loved Soarin' (despite being terrified of heights and being the furthest up!) and going on the boat ride in the Land always reminds me of home (i grew up on a hydroponic tomato farm) but there is nothing like visiting the different countries! my father hate the lands so my mom normally try to go without him cuz we love it! than again i will probably never get to go to most of those countries! (except canada but when you live in MI it really isn't something unique....) i love getting the feel that i am in the countries and just pretend even if only for 20 minutes that i traveled the world to visit that country... and who can beat the food! my DH and i always fight cuz i don't like Chinese food, so what can we do? he can get his food in China and i can get my fish and chips or pasta or anything i want! it's just such a magical journey to another land i might never be able to see other wise (though i want to!)

lightyearfan
05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
i didn't vote simply because we love both worlds evenly. i'll try and break it down

future world: great rides, and attractions, much to see and do and we love the music that's piped in

world showcase: well first off there are the fantastic resturants, if your'e there at the right time you can catch a good concert in the american pavillion, and lets not forget about the british invasion, off kilter and all the other fun stuff that the countries put on

to to hard to vote as stated above each worls is unique in it's own special way so oyr vote is 50-50

Victor

2Epcot
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Usually these are not too tough, but this one was hard for me. I really like both almost equally. I have to say, I did enjoy Future World more in the early days of Epcot then I do now. World Showcase is fantastic. I love visiting the countries, and meeting the CMs who are here from their home countires. I voted for World Showcase, but it only won by a .10 margin. :mickey:

Mickey91
05-23-2007, 02:54 PM
I voted future world. Although, with everything going through major changes, I am quickly coming to the point where I would have voted World Showcase. Before World of Motion, Horizons, The Living Seas and Journey Into Imagination were all drastically changed, ( I also am not thrilled with Ellen at Energy) this was definitely my favorite part of EPCOT. Now with Spaceship Earth getting new scenes and a new soundtrack, after '08, World Showcase may get the vote!

Spaceship Tigger
05-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Definitely WS. It includes many of my favorites at WDW - restaurants, entertainment, and shopping. FW is great but WS just wins out for me. Especially since there will be a big huge hole in FW with Spaceship Earth being down this trip...

KAJUNKING
05-23-2007, 03:01 PM
without soarin, ws may have had a shot but i had to go with fw :mickey:

beksy
05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
My vote had to go to WS. I love some of the things in FW (especially the seas) but for me, they are a once a trip thing. I love to travel so in WS I can visit all over the world in a day! Plus, I am getting to experience a little of the food/culture, etc. in countries that I won't be able to actually see for several years (after school when I have more $$)! :cloud9:

T-Belle
05-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Another tough one! I voted for World Showcase because I LOVE the Mango :marg: In Mexico!!

Polynesian Dweller
05-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Not that hard really. WS wins because of the relaxation and the restaurants. FW was better years ago but with Imagination going downhill (IMHO) and the closure of Wonders of Life its not as good.

Perhaps the rehabs of Seas and SE will change my mind when I see them.

mdricks
05-23-2007, 06:15 PM
World showcase is an experience you can get no where else on disney property. You can ride the rides at any park. You only get the international flavor at world showcase!

(And dont try and tell me you get it from small world! :sick: )

dumbo ears
05-23-2007, 06:18 PM
world showcase. there are some great attractions in future world but if I had to chose one that has a better overall atmosphere I'd chose World Showcase!:mickey:

SpecJoe Magic
05-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I prefer Future World by far. I've only come to enjoy World Showcase a great deal in the last few years, but I've always thoroughly enjoyed Future World. I'm a big fan of Mission: Space, Spaceship Earth, and Soarin'. In addition, I also like Test Track and the Finding Nemo attractions. World Showcase doesn't have enough attractions for my taste despite having one of my favorites, American Adventure.

tinksmom02
05-23-2007, 08:04 PM
I love FW, but I think WS is the best. It's so refreshing to wander around and explore the different cultures. It's such a relaxing way to spend a day!

WDWfeelslikehome
05-23-2007, 10:08 PM
WS may by far be our favorite part of any park. DW and I could spend days wandering around, browsing the shops, seeing the performers, hearing the stories of the cultures(Holidays and other special times), and "sampling" the drinks :cheers: and eats:chef: from around the world. I can picture us now wandering around the lagoon, as the torches are still lit, and things are growing quiet in the park because Illuminations just finshed up about 30 minutes ago :fworks: .....only 30 days left...I can make it.:fingers::wait:

septembergirl
05-23-2007, 10:38 PM
My vote is for the WS because approaching makes me feel exhilarated and I am not sure why.:cloud9:

Crow
05-23-2007, 11:02 PM
WS didnt even have to stop to think
:beer: :marg: CMs
i spend most of my trips here partaking
3 of my 5 ADRs for next week are in WS

GrmGrninGost
05-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Tough call! I really enjoy both, but I still like the rides! Guess I have to go with FW!:mickey:

Rodders
05-24-2007, 04:25 AM
I picked FW because it had more to do then WS. To me going to WDW is about doing Disney related things and WS although it is beautiful is just so broing to me. I f I wanted to go to Italy I'd travel there same goes for the other countries. I go to WDW for Disney not to see other countries. Not to mention how stereotypical they are. I'm sorry but I am Canandian and I don't own any plaid shirts, I don't eat whale, I HATE Maple anything etc. Just like I am sure the Chinese don't all wear kimonos all day every day and carry paper fans with them everywher. Ok I am done ranting lol.

You mean you don't wear those shirts :confused:

I drink Bass Ale and eat fish and chips every day !!! ;)

<Cockney Accent> Oooh Its a jolly holiday with Mary, Mary makes your heart so light..... </Cockney Accent>

Right, i'm of to roll out the barrel and have some more Jellied Eels washed down with plenty of milky tea :thumbsup:

RAIDER
05-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Brilliant question :thumbsup: very thought provoking ...:thedolls:

Well i love them both but i arrived at my answer like this.

If i was given a ticket to only spend my day in one or the other which one one would i choose ??...
I went for world showcase in the end ...simply because it was more diverse and its a better place to chill out instead of the hussle and bussle of future world :thumbsup:

Belle619
05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I chose WS. For me, I'm young and don't have a ton of money, so this is my way of experiencing the countries of the world for now. I love the food :eat:, beverages :wine: and talking to the CM's about where they are from.

If I could live in WS I would!!!

JCDarzi
05-24-2007, 09:22 AM
I love them both too but I tend to linger and enjoy WS more. I love the smells of the delicious food and we always seem to get such great pictures there.

castlelady36
05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I love them both but with children I had to go with FW as there is much more for them to do there then is WS. But for me alone I would pick WS for the dining and the general atmosphere. Yes they have the kidcots but still not as much fun for kids as....Soarin, TT, SE, HISTA, etc......

TIdoubleGR
05-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Oooo this question is rough. Epcot is my favorite park overall because I Love WS and FW so, but making me pick between WS and FW is like having to pick between two children....

FW: Atmosphere, fantastic background music, neon lighting, hidden surprises (fountain outside of Imagination, birds at LS), futuristic/classic Disney feel, monorail integration, all the rides, lots of "hands on" activities, Fountain of Nations, nostalgia, sense of adventure :thumbsup:

WS: FOOD, :marg: :beer: , amazing attention to detail, unique shopping, food, experiencing cultures, performers, complete immersion in surroundings, food, the lagoon, unique theme park experience, going around the world in a matter of hours :cloud9:

I guess if I *had* to pick, it would probably depend on my mood. At the moment, I'm pretty hungry (thinking about quesadillas, pasteries, and wonderful adult beverages)....but who knows, tonight I'll probably be up for some soarin' both in and out of the atmosphere....

BritCody
05-25-2007, 07:02 AM
I like Soarin andTest Track, but there is just something about the World Showcase that does it for me

Bethanymouse
05-25-2007, 07:16 AM
I had to go with World Showcase- there is just no other theme park that can even compare with everything that WS encompasses. You can take a trip around the globe in a few hours! Now that is magic!

mrsgaribaldi
05-26-2007, 06:06 PM
I could just walk around World Showcase and be happy:thumbsup::mickey:

DNS
05-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I really love both sections, but to answer this, I asked myself if I could only go to one side.....
Still difficult, but it really didn't take me that long to decide on World Showcase. It is so totally different from anything else at WDW.

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
If I'm in the mood to ride i'll go with future world, but if i'm hungry you won't get me out of WS!
:goofy:

CuteAsMinnie
08-02-2007, 08:18 PM
I could honestly spend all day and night in WS and never visit Future World. I just love it!

lilmick
08-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Even though I loved both, I'd have to say I liked WS better. I love all the different countries and the architecture. Its the closest I'll ever get to those countries.:mickey: