View Full Version : Has anyone ever used American Express?

k_reile
05-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Has anyone ever used American Express Travel Rewards at Disney resorts? I just got a new visa and if I spend so much by the end of july...then I get 30,000 bonus miles in addition to the 7500 they gave me for getting the card. Total 37,500. On the advertisement they gave me they said the 30,000 miles would equal to about 2 airline tickets or hotel stays...
What I was thinking was this...
1)pay for my vacation package with the credit card (I have the money in the bank but I would charge first to get the miles) and
2) since I am booking my stay with the card...i get travel insurance from the card and would not have to buy if from disney.
3)What I want to go is upgrade my vacation from CBR King room to AKL standard room and cut one night off our stay...and then try to use my rewards to add the extra night for AKL...so essentially we will have two reservations

Anyone do this before (use travel rewards to book stays at disney?

I have contacted Terrisue at MJ but I thought I would see if anyone has done this on here in the meantime.

Of course I just may be dreaming!!:cloud9:

faline
05-22-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't even have an American Express card so haven't done what you are suggesting.

Hopefully, someone with more experience will be along shortly!

MNNHFLTX
05-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm a little confused--so do you have an American Express card or a visa card? And is the Travel Rewards program you mentioned part of the American Express Membership Rewards program or a different program?

We use the Membership Rewards program and typically will transfer the points into miles to use for free airline tickets. Unfortunately there are no on-site Disney World hotels that participate in the Membership Rewards program.

k_reile
05-23-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm a little confused--so do you have an American Express card or a visa card? And is the Travel Rewards program you mentioned part of the American Express Membership Rewards program or a different program?

Yes I just got an american express card. I have never had one before so I am used to using a visa...I meant a amex card.

We use the Membership Rewards program and typically will transfer the points into miles to use for free airline tickets. Unfortunately there are no on-site Disney World hotels that participate in the Membership Rewards program.

That was what I was wanting to know...I am still going to put my trip on the card to get the miles anyways then....and by booking with the card it looked like in the membership rewards program I would be covered for travel insurance with the trip.

Thanks for your help.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
We use our Amex points for airline tickets (ex: 25K points at JetBlue gets you one round trip to orlando intern). We feel this is the best exchange for points vs. actual dollars spent. Most of the other rewards are cheaper to just buy on your own.
We have used our Amex to get extra nights at hotels while on trips elsewhere.
We use our Amex for everything, not just regular purchases or travel: gas, groceries, electricity bill, coffee shops - you name it. Some of these purchases result in double points, so points add up even faster.

MarkC
05-24-2007, 10:17 AM
During our trip this past March, I was able to use American Airlines miles to reduce the cost of our stay at the All-Star Sports. I didn't even know the plan existed until I stumbled upon it by accident at American's website. I was able to reduce our rate from about $115 to $67 per night. It saved us $240, which is cheaper than most of the flights we pay for, so I thought it was worth it.