PDA

View Full Version : Calf pain...should I be worried?

BrerGnat
05-22-2007, 02:25 PM
UPDATE:
Well, when I woke up today, the pain was completely gone! I tried to make it come back by doing the kneeling thing, and it didn't come back at all. I did the stairmaster today and stretched really good afterward and I feel great.

Thanks to all who responded. I think it was just a small muscle tear or something. However, I am being extra cautious and paying close attention to how I feel overall for the next few days. If anything appears, I will see the doctor!

Ok, here's the situation.

I am a healthy 29 year old female. I exercise (jog/walk) regularly and am a healthy weight.

Last night, I was kneeling on the floor putting on DS's pajamas like I always do. When I was done, and I stood up, I got this really sharp, achy pain in the back of my leg, right below my calf muscle. It wasn't a charley horse type cramp pain, it felt like it was almost near my bone, but in the muscle.

It lasted for about 2 minutes, but went away. It then came back sporadically throughout the evening, mainly when I would get up from sitting to walk.

I still have the pain today. I can "make" it appear by kneeling down and then getting back up (I do this a LOT with two toddlers). It goes away when I'm sitting, for the most part, although I feel a tiny hint of the pain as I sit here typing this.

My question is, do I need to be worried about this? The first thing that sprang to mind was Deep Venous Thrombosis, but I have NONE of the risk factors for this sort of thing. However, I know I didn't injure my calf at all. I usually run about 5x/week, and last time I went out was Sunday morning.

This pain is wierd, unlike any pain I've had before. There is no swelling or redness associated with it.

I am currently alone with my two boys, as my DH is in Oklahoma. It's VERY difficult for me to go see the doctor with both of them, but at what point would this sort of pain warrant a visit?

Thanks in advance!

Ian
05-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Nat, I think you answered your own question when you said it was a pain like you'd never felt before.

I'll admit I'm one who's very reluctant to go to the doctors, but my criteria always is, "If I've felt like this before and it's gone away on its own then I don't go. If it's something I've never experienced before then I go."

I think you should go.

BrerGnat
05-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks Ian. I have been doing some online research and the consensus is that I should visit the doctor if the pain does not go away after 3 days.

The actual quote was "you should go see your doctor if you have unexplained calf pain that persists longer than 3 days or if your calf pain is accompanied by shortness of breath or chest pain."

I would still be interested to know if others have had this sort of pain, and what it ended up being.

SBETigg
05-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I was going to say that I would probably wait three or four days before seeing a doctor. Especially if it allows your dh to get home in the meantime. It doesn't sound like an emergency situation. But you could call your doctor and set up an appointment. They appreciate the advance notice and it's better than having to head to the ER.

BrerGnat
05-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Well, DH will be home this weekend, but he won't get here until Saturday and he leaves again Monday morning. He's going to be in OK until November. He's attending an artillery school there for his job.

I think I will call the doctor and see what they say. Most of the time, though, I can get in same day. In fact, my insurance guarantees me a "same day" appointment, so it's never a problem.

Tinkermom
05-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Definately go to the doctor. A year and a half ago I had pain in my upper back when taking a deep breath. I thought I pulled a muscle. Over 2 days it got worse and I felt awful. I figured I had some sort of virus and when I had trouble breathing the 2nd night I went to the doctor. Idebated going since DH was out of town and I had to take my 4 year old (at the time) with me, etc, etc. It ended up that I had multiple pulmonary embolisms (blood clots)in both of my lungs. I ended up in the cardiac unit and a dear friend came over my house to stay with my kids until DH could get home. I am a firm believer now to get to the doctor when things do not seem right.

MsMin
05-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Talking about embolisms or clots, both of my girls started to experience hot spots(red hot spots) on their legs and numbness. I was afraid of phlebitis. My oldest one started to experience numbness down her arm. I thought it was odd for both of them to get it and worried it was something genetic. Ended up it was cutaneous palsy. Point is, sometimes there are some symptoms that can point to one thing and be something you never heard of. It's always best to get some relief but I agree that rushing to the dr. can be difficult esp. many ER's these days or with little ones.
I've had calf pains but my dr. said I was low on calcium (many times it's potassium). I was having deep charley horse type cramps in my sleep and my legs would be sore after words like an over worked muscle. Doesn't sound like what you are describing. Let us know.

BrerGnat
05-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Thank you all for your input.

Tinkermom: your story is exactly what I am worried about. I guess I wanted everyone to say "oh, you'll be fine, it's nothing serious", etc. However, just knowing that this sort of thing COULD turn out to be very serious is the reason I came here for advice in the first place. I don't want to freak out over nothing, but at the same time, I tend to be overcautious about these sorts of things, especially since I've had my kids, and because I am alone with them so often.

If I still have the pain on Thursday, or if I develop any other "strange and unexplainable" symptoms, I'll go to the doctor.

Better safe than sorry.

disneydeb
05-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Some of my meds give me leg pain. I have found that Co-Q 10 taken 50 mg. taken 2X daily to be benificial. Good luck.

Willowwind
05-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Ok, here's the situation.

I am a healthy 29 year old female. I exercise (jog/walk) regularly and am a healthy weight.

Last night, I was kneeling on the floor putting on DS's pajamas like I always do. When I was done, and I stood up, I got this really sharp, achy pain in the back of my leg, right below my calf muscle. It wasn't a charley horse type cramp pain, it felt like it was almost near my bone, but in the muscle.

<snip>

I am currently alone with my two boys, as my DH is in Oklahoma. It's VERY difficult for me to go see the doctor with both of them, but at what point would this sort of pain warrant a visit?

Thanks in advance!

Willowwind's DH here...
I'm not a doctor, but I'm working on pre-med work, and I'm an Illinois state licensed EMT-B.

If you suddenly get short of breath, chest pain or severe headaches, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY. You could be dealing with complications from DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_vein_thrombosis).

DVT complications can be life-threatening, and should not be taken lightly, but unless you have a clotting problem or have been sitting in a confined space (like being stuck in you seat on an international airline flight)

That being said, it sounds to me like you might have injured the lower part of your calf muscle, where the Achilles tendon (http://www.achillestendon.com/) attaches to the muscle. I would recommend that you get to the doctor to have it evaluated as soon as practical, but it doesn't sound like anything to be highly concerned about. However, my musculo-skeletal education is minimal at this point.

Please note that I'm not offering any specific medical advice. I'm not your physician, merely a private person who has some medical training.

Best of luck!
Geordon

Marilyn Michetti
05-23-2007, 09:05 PM
I agree with the above post's that advise you to go to the Dr. There's lots of scary symptoms that might be nothing, but if you have a "gut" feeling that this isn't a normal sports related, (or mom related), injury, get it checked out. It might be a simple "nothing to worry about", but it will ease your mind.

I'm an old lady, and new things pop up all the time, and they're mostly nothing serious, so take all of our collective advice, and go to the Dr.

Let us know how you're doing.:hug:

Flower
05-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Kind of a stupid question, but have you changed running shoes lately?

Since you run alot, your shoes may need to be replaced, or, if you recently purchased new runners - they may not be working out for you.

DH runs and we both used to work in a sports store - this can be a common issue.

Another consideration, do you need orthotics? DH got them several years ago and he now swears by them! He runs with them and puts them in whatever shoes he wears.

I do recommend you get checked out by the Dr if it persists.

Donald A
05-25-2007, 11:21 PM
If you are stubborn to go to the doctor, I will say that even a hint of shortness of breath combined with this pain is a medical emergency.

BrerGnat
05-26-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm not stubborn. I have a 2.5 year old autistic boy and a 14 month old "typical" boy. My DH is halfway across the country until mid October.

A doctor's visit with the two of them is quite an ordeal and I don't have anyone here I could leave them with during the day, so it's not stubbornness as much as "If it's not absolutely, 100% NECESSARY, it'll have to wait. :)

Thanks for your concern everyone, but I feel fine again today and went running and everything seems "normal".

MsMin
05-26-2007, 10:14 AM
I don't think you're stubborn, you're just a mom with her hands full who will sacrifice her own medical care while watching her kids and hope it's nothing serious like you said. I've been a single mom for a long time and I understand your hesitation completely. I hope you have some form of respite while he's away. Take care of yourself :pixie: glad to hear the pain is gone.

SBETigg
05-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Glad everything turned out okay. Thanks for the update.

Willowwind
05-26-2007, 11:07 AM
So glad that things are feeling back to "normal" :mickey: