PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a room upgrade?

wagjb
05-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I've seen people mention getting a free upgrade. I'm going to AKL in late August for 2 nights in a standard view. Of course I'm hoping for an upgrade but have a few questions.

1. Do I need to ask for the upgrade or will they just give me one if there is availability?

2. Does the time you check in seem to make a difference?

3. Any other advice on increasing my chances?

Thanks.

Greg.

TammiMcMan
05-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Greg, at one time, the AKL was probably the easiest resort to get an upgrade and you didn't even have to ask. In the hotel industry, you'll see alot of times that the lower priced rooms go first. To free up those rooms, management automatically upgrades some guests in the standard view category and opens them back up for general reservations.

Unfortunately, with all the construction going on there now and so many rooms being taken out of inventory, you aren't going to see the same number of behind the scenes upgrades. My best suggestion is to book a room view that you're happy with, because chances are, that's what you'll get. You can certainly ask about a view upgrade at check-in, but it may not be complimentary at that point. They could offer it for the difference in rack rates, or possibly give you a discount. Arriving early can increase your chances of having more room inventory to choose from, but again, it may not be done complimentary.

There's really no rhyme or reason as to how complimentary upgrades are given, but it's usually done in the best interest of the resort and not necessarily just to make a guest happy. Honestly, if I had to guess, the end of August is not a busy time and I don't imagine the standard view category would be selling out. That will actually decrease your chances of getting an automatic complimentary upgrade. You'll probably have to ask at check-in and hope for the best.

pox24
05-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Just ask... it really works!:thumbsup:

BigRedDad
05-22-2007, 09:47 AM
All you need to do is ask. Either use a true story or make one up. They don't check. We were upgraded from a parking lot view to a second floor Savannah view on our Honeymoon (yes it was our honeymoon).

moe513
05-22-2007, 10:29 AM
What about the YC at the end of August. Can you really ask at check in for a complimentary upgrade, seems very awkward to me.

TiggerRPh
05-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Every time we've gotten an upgrade....we didn't ask.

MNNHFLTX
05-22-2007, 12:05 PM
My best suggestion is to book a room view that you're happy with, because chances are, that's what you'll get. You can certainly ask about a view upgrade at check-in, but it may not be complimentary at that point. They could offer it for the difference in rack rates, or possibly give you a discount. Arriving early can increase your chances of having more room inventory to choose from, but again, it may not be done complimentary.This is my advice also. It never hurts to hope for a complimentary upgrade (or to ask for one). If you get one, enjoy it as an unexpected perk. If not, I'm sure you will still enjoy your stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge--it is a lovely resort.

As far as making up a story to increase your chances of getting an upgrade, I cannot condone that. Whether or not it actually would improve the odds is questionable and at best it is a potential abuse of the system that eventually might make Disney World less likely to grant any upgrades at all. Just something to think about. :mickey:

baby minnie's mommy
05-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Does it work if you're booked with a FL resident discount? (They have a certain block of rooms they use for the discount.)

tink2006
05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I would have never thought to ask for an upgrade. I just thought some people were just at the right place at the right time. That said, just curious...Are the complimentary upgrades just within your resort? For example, if you have ressies for water view moderate or preffered value, can you ask for complimentary upgrade to the next level hotel, from value to moderate or moderate to deluxe)?

TammiMcMan
05-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Some people do find it a bit awkward to ask, especially if they are told yes, but it will cost you X amount of additional dollars. Now you're faced with politely declining and trying not to feel even more awkward.

There have been upgrades given from one level of resort to another. Actually, it was about 6 or 9 months ago, that one of the values was very oversold and guests were being offered upgrades to DVC units. This was all done prior to their arrival at the resort though. As with the views though, really the only time you'll see an upgrade like this, is when it benefits the resort. If you're going to ask for it, expect to pay and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

minnie1956
05-28-2007, 09:08 PM
If you want a specific view, you need to be prepared to pay for it, then you won't be disappointed. I wouldn't "make up a story" you NEVER know who would be listening.
aka your kids, etc. I wouldn't want to be caught doing that my my 17yo daughter. Free upgrades are the "magic" of Disney.
:D

chasgooses
05-29-2007, 01:24 AM
The general advice is don't book a room type hoping for the upgrade because you sometimes won't be able to get it. That said, asking for one politely never hurts. The past couple times we have gone we asked about changing our room from standard view to lagoon view upon check-in. One time we were given the upgrade for free, and the other time we were given the upgrade for much less than the difference between rack rates. If you are willing to pay for an upgrade, you can oftentimes save some money.

mrs.jacksparrow
05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Has anyone ever upgraded from a view room to a consierge (sp) room? I have a courtyard view at WL in oct. and was wondering if they upgrade to a suite or a higher level? I also have a savanha view at AKL at this time.

Is it worth it?

Thanks,

TammiMcMan
05-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Has anyone ever upgraded from a view room to a consierge (sp) room? I have a courtyard view at WL in oct. and was wondering if they upgrade to a suite or a higher level? I also have a savanha view at AKL at this time.

Is it worth it?If you mean to upgrade at check-in, it might not be worth the difference in price. Plus, there is no guarantee of view when you book club level at WL and AKL. Chances are that it will be a nice view, but you can't guarantee that you'll be overlooking the savannah like you can with a standard room.

johnO
05-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Don't lie. Your integrity is much more valuable than any upgrade you could ever receive. That was poor advice on BigRedDad's part.:down:

Bubbie Girl
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Last year when we checked into the Poly we were told we had been up graded to a Castle View room. I had booked a standard Garden view room. We did not ask they just gave us one. We were very excited about it. First time ever we got one! I sometimes wonder if we recieved it because we had booked our room so early or if it was just luck ,whatever I was very pleasantly suprised. Mickey:mickey:Magic