PDA

View Full Version : Disney value vs. SOG

maizey05
05-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi all! My DH is Navy, so staying at SOG is an option. How is SOG? Would you choose there or a Disney value resort??? Also, we've always stayed at moderates. What is the real difference between a value and moderate? Thanks for your opinions and advice!:mickey:

Crow
05-21-2007, 05:25 PM
mod has bigger room, sitdown eatery at most.
ive stayed at all levels & SOG since friend was retired AF. it was pretty nice for the cost, which was a lot less than Disney deluxe w a good room. the buffet has a good dinner for the price also. and its close to Poly, walk across the road.
depends on your cost. its based on rank.
i like the disney resorts for the theming and buses, which run more than SOG and let you off closer to the parks. but basically for the cost of a mod you can stay at SOG.
i have no problem staying at Pop. in fact i prefer it over my stay at BC other than BC being close to Epcot.
it all depends on the amenities and experience you want

Goes4FastPass
05-21-2007, 06:01 PM
SOG is a GREAT value for the money. Period. The location is terrific - close to the Polynesian and the rooms are on par with WDW Deluxe, especially when it comes to size. Try getting a balcony at a WDW Value or Moderate - there aren't any.

So far no one has poo-poo'ed SOG in this thread so let me get this in now...

People who snob out about SOG not being 'Real Disney' floor me. I just don't get it.

Of COURSE there are more expensive rooms at WDW. You could also take cash to Mickey's Backyard BBQ and burn it in the campfire.

The price difference between SOG and WDW Deluxe isn't slight - it's MUCH less - and you get all of the 'on property' perks like EMH.

Also, SOG guests can buy low cost food and reduced price park tickets - and it's all tax free.

Sign me, Anchors Away, Proud Navy Dad!

mudpuppysmom
05-21-2007, 06:49 PM
We just returned from a trip at SOG. The first leg of our trip they had us in the new part in an ADA room -- it was HUGE!!! You could have easily slept in the bathroom that is how big it was! There were two queen beds PLUS a pull out full sized sofa as well as a table with a couple of chairs and a mini fridge. We did have a balcony and could sorta see the fireworks (if we really stretched our necks, but we watched them on the parking garage roof anyway another night).

Yes you can get discounted tickets there -- they have no tax on them.

The AAFES store has a lot of little items that you might "need" as well as souveniers.

Right across from the AAFES store they were putting in a little internet cafe (complete with desktops and A printer -- I saw them working on it).

The buffet is still good, but the prices went up.....Beefeaters night cost $17 for an adult and $8 for a child. Evergreens is good for pizza while at the pool (they give you plates and napkins). Manginos is a nice quiet sit down Italian meal. The Express place I don't even venture to, we had a bad experience with people not waiting in line, so I won't go back there.

If you want to go across the street to catch the monorail at the Poly, you can catch the "Shady Shuttle" (it's a golf cart) and they will take you to the end of the road, so all you have to do is walk the path to the GCH -- closer than some of the rooms! DS and I walked over our last morning and had breakfast then caught the monorail over to MK -- it was slick!

Our second leg of our trip we were placed as far from the parking garage as you could get. In fact I think the room was only close to the pool and Evergreens. It was easier to cut across the lawn to get to our room, or park at the golf course and walk through the pool areas. The rooms in the old section seemed tired and in need of update to me; plus they seem smaller too.

All in all, I enjoy staying at SOG. I feel at home there. I know where I'm going and the type of guests you are going to run into -- you don't have any cheerleaders there!

It's a great place -- I'd pick it over a value any day!

pcoleman
05-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Have been to Disney many times and we always stay at SOG. I just cannot justify the prices at other resorts. I am also spoiled with the size of the rooms. Biggest at Disney. They are also trying to do a few more "Disney " things. This last trip in April they had the most wonderful statue of Mickey so you could take your own pictures and they had a photographer who took pictures and you could buy packages. They gift shop always carries items less expensive than in Disney gift shops. I do not find the buses to be bad either. They run quite regular and are always on time. I also have never had to wait for a second bus because the first one was too full. i also had to send a box early to the hotel this year and they were wonderful. It was waiting for us right at check in. Enjoy your trip. It will be worth it.

SallyfromDE
05-21-2007, 07:08 PM
We went last year and HATED it. We'd stay at a value first. Unless it were a peak period, then money would be the deciding factor. We went Easter week. The food there was lousy. The buses were old and falling apart. BUT they were quick and on time. I guess they used some of the old Disney buses becuase of peak period. The seats were ripped and the stuffing falling out. I wouldn't sit down. It was a good half hour between buses, and we found that for the most part we ended up being transported over to the TTC and had to use Disney buses. You had to walk a mile to get to your room from the buses. You could walk to the Poly, which everyone seems to think is such a great thing. You have to walk 2 miles. We were able to get a little cart once. But you'd walk a mile around the Poly to get to the bus or the monorail. We had trouble with the a/c and maintance told us it was our fault. We walked in the room was 90, so we called maintance. We propped the door and the patio door open to get some air in the room. He told us that was our fault and it made the air stop (even tho' it wasn't working when we came in). He was put out that he had to over ride the a/c to work for us again. We were on the RandR package and was told the buffet would cover Easter Dinner. The desk even called to ask while were standing there. Come to find out, it didn't. So we had to find some place to eat at the last minute. We saw 2 couples with room problems. Both were waiting for suites for large parties, they only had a single room booked for both. But they did resolve it (and this was Easter week!). The gift shop had a few cute things, but it's similar to one of the cheesy gift shops you find in the airports. The savings on the tickets isn't all that great. I think they've changed thier ticket pricing since we were there last. There was a cool Mickey op in the lobby. But be prepared to be attacked by Photogs whenever you walk through the lobby. The rooms were large and clean. Like I said, we'd stay there again, if it were peak period and we needed to save $$ or get the most out of our time. Othewise, we'll pass. We never could understand why everyone raves about this place.

JohnnyJayhawk
05-21-2007, 07:12 PM
I'll echo the above sentiments. We love SOG. Highlights for us are:

-Two queen beds
-Close to monorail
-Big rooms and bathrooms
-Good and cheap breakfast buffet
-Great price

We just got back from staying at CBR, and while it was very nice, we like SOG much better. SOG definitely beats any of the values hands down.

JohnnyJayhawk
05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
The food there was lousy.

You could walk to the Poly, which everyone seems to think is such a great thing. You have to walk 2 miles.

We only ate at the breakfast buffet, nowhere else so I can't rate all the food, but what we had was good.

As far as the walk to the Poly...well, I know we all like to exaggerate, but seriously...two miles? Believe me, the last thing that my wife wants at the end of a long day at the parks is a long walk back to our room, and she never complained once about that walk. Depending on where your room is at a value or even a moderate, you could have just as long a walk from the bus stop to your room.

One of the great things about Intercot is that you get a wide variety of opinions. Just count up the number of people who like SOG versus those who don't. Ultimately, of course, everyone has to decide for themselves. I can tell you that we're fairly picky about the places that earn our repeat business, and we'll be back to SOG again and again.

disneydaisy
05-21-2007, 08:52 PM
We stayed in the SOG in Oct. 04 and had a junior suite. We loved it. The price was great as was the food. We swam at the pool everyday and it wasn't crowded at all. The only time we had a problem with the bus was trying to get to DTD. We walked to the Poly a couple of times to get the monorail for an early morning breakfast. My mom was 68 and my daughter was 4, and hates walking. Neither had complaints about the distance. The Funai Classic was on at the time and my husband (Golf fanatic) and dad enjoyed just walking out of the hotel and watching the golf. We loved it so much we are going back again this Oct. We are just disappointed that the Funai has moved to early November so we will miss it.

jrpersinger
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
It was a good half hour between buses, and we found that for the most part we ended up being transported over to the TTC and had to use Disney buses. You had to walk a mile to get to your room from the buses. You could walk to the Poly, which everyone seems to think is such a great thing. You have to walk 2 miles.

The buses only run to the TTC for MK and Epcot. That way you can catch the monarail for a fast ride over. Or even the ferry. Its a short ride from SOG to TTC. There are buses that run from SOG directly to MGM, and Epcot. And I think thats how most of the resorts work also. I know the Values do straight buses, unless that has changed. The walk to the Poly is no way a 2 mile walk... you can walk it in what, 10-15 min? And thats with little kids in tow. Just watch for the croc by the guard shack. Unless they have since removed it, you will see it by the little lake there. We never had a bad experience with the buses. They were always on time. And the only night they were crowded was on New Years Eve. But they had a bus pulling out from MK it seemed about every 5 minutes or so. It took us longer to get on the monarail from MK then it did to get on the bus and back to SOG from the TTC.

We never ate at Magainos, but we did the breakfast bar every morning and hit up Evergreens for lunch a couple times. All the food we had was good. Can't say anything about the cafe by the bus stop because it always seemed to be closed. But I have heard there is a Starbucks now by the Aafes store.

We were there on DH RnR. From Dec 28-Jan 2. It was PACKED! Its there busiest time. But our service was terrific. We had a small issue with the internet they offered. DH had to check in with his COC once we arrived there and the internet in our room didn't work. They gave us free internet the remainder of our trip for the inconvience.

I have stayed at the Values and the Deluxe resorts over the years. I loved SOG. Yes, its not overly Disney. But I don't mind. Its a beautiful resort. Its a BIG resort and I would take it any day over a Value. Now I can't say if AKL or Poly were the same rates I wouldn't stay at them... but as long at we are getting the rooms at the rate we are now, I plan on staying at SOG. We are a cat 2 and even then, its cheaper then staying at the Values on their off peek time due to taxes.

Infact, we like SOG so much that my family is meeting there in 32 days for a family reunion! 14 of us! And I have to say, their customer service has been wonderful in helping us plan everything for a group as large as ours!

maizey05
05-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Hope you have a fun family reunion, Jessica! That sounds like a really good time! I talked to my mom yesterday about the whole family going to WDW one of these days. Easier said than done though, since we're all on the west coast.

SallyfromDE
05-22-2007, 09:27 PM
The buses only run to the TTC for MK and Epcot. That way you can catch the monarail for a fast ride over. Or even the ferry. Its a short ride from SOG to TTC.

I'm not sure what your trying to say about the TTC. When you get there, you can take a bus to any of the other parks. They had buses for each of the resorts at the hotel, but if we missed it, instead of waiting 1/2 hour, we'd go the TTC to catch the bus. I don't know if it's different any other time, we went Easter week.

Now whether or not I exagerated is beside the point. The walk is llloooooonnnnnnggggg. Everyone acts like it's just crossing the street. And that isn't the case.

I wasn't the only one that didn't care for it. There were 5 of us in the party and we all had the same thing to say about it. I will stay there again, but only if it's peak period when the rates are higher in the other resort hotels.

It was okay for a one time different experience.