PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for people taking your photo!

aprilisis
05-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't know if I am posting this in the right place, but here goes: I was on a magazine website with a section for fashion do's & don'ts and there was an option to upload photos that you have taken. I was looking through them when I noticed that one person had obviously just walked through the WDW parks randomly taking photos of people! I would be humiliated if someone posted my photo there and I definitely would not post a photo of anyone. What do you guys think of this?

darthmacho
05-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Not thrilled by the prospect, but so long as in the photo, one has all of their clothes on, what's the difference? Besides, it would be really hard to stop someone from taking it if they really wanted a photo.

Either way, I'm a fashion "don't."

aprilisis
05-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Either way, I'm a fashion "don't."

:funny: Me, too!

Figgyluv03
05-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Don't they need your consent to "publish" your photo?

drummerboy
05-21-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm so unphotgenic that people usually end up with a cracked lens when they get done trying to take my photo.

disneydrmr
05-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm so unphotgenic that people usually end up with a cracked lens when they get done trying to take my photo.

:funny: :rotfl:

Disney Doll
05-21-2007, 01:53 PM
In a public place, especially a crowded place like Disney World you should expect to have your photo taken by strangers. In fact I have a funny story about an accidental photo I took of a stranger. On our last trip I accidentally captured a lady picking her wedgie as she left the CBR food court. She was in the background of a great shot I took of my nephew coming off the water slide. It's pretty obvious and kind of ruins the photo, but at the time I didn't even notice her. :blush:

Lesson learned- Never do anything you wouldn't want captured on film while at Disney. With all the photos that are taken there every day, odds are you'll end up in someone's scrapbook.

Jasper
05-21-2007, 02:03 PM

In general you are correct, but defining the line between personal use and "publishing" is a tough thing in the digital age. The other issue is just simply enforcing the rules. Again, in the digital age it is so easy and quick to "publish" something that it is very tough to police the issue everywhere.

If you happen to see yourself posted on some website, the best thing to do is to contact the webmaster/owner of the the website and let them know that the photo was published without your consent, that you don't like it, and that you want it removed ASAP. Of course, make all of your thoughts known in a firm but polite manner and if the people running the site are responsible folks they should comply with your wishes. Unfortunately, by the time you spot your photo, contact the right people, and they get it removed, who knows how many other people may have downloaded your photo into other sites or places.

SBETigg
05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
A certain fashion magazine has been running fashion Do and Don't photos for years without consent. They simply put a black strip over the face of the fashion "victim" and they're legally covered. You could end up anywhere. I think that they can run the photo as long as they don't clearly show your face or print your name, but I'm not sure.

Tinkerfreak
05-21-2007, 02:12 PM
We have a picture we took with someone else's kids in it because they jumped in front of the camera at the last minute. Every time we are looking at old pictures we come across these and always think "who are those kids"? It is kind of funny. On our last trip in April we were trying to take pictures of the topiaries and someone got in the way every time so we have some photos of stangers. It kind of creeps me out though to think that someone is just randomly taking pictures of people and posting them.

Jessie
05-21-2007, 02:33 PM
A certain fashion magazine has been running fashion Do and Don't photos for years without consent. They simply put a black strip over the face of the fashion "victim" and they're legally covered. You could end up anywhere. I think that they can run the photo as long as they don't clearly show your face or print your name, but I'm not sure.

That reminds me of the people they show on the news when they're doing a story about being overweight. Who are all these people walking around with no heads?! :laughing:

aprilisis
05-21-2007, 03:37 PM
That reminds me of the people they show on the news when they're doing a story about being overweight. Who are all these people walking around with no heads?! :laughing:

:funny: That is SO funny!!! I think the same thing when I see those stories, too.

snifflesmcg
05-21-2007, 08:22 PM

No. Since Disney is open to the public, you basically give up that right. It's kinda like, whether you know it or not, you are video taped all the time in public. One of those girls from that "girls gone wild" video tried to sue the company that produced it and she lost since she was in public in New Orleans.
Once I was at a waterpark in PA and they had a sign up telling everyone that they could be on tv since they were taping a (reality) show from Lifetime called something like "First date".

crazypoohbear
05-21-2007, 08:45 PM
So we are all gonna end up as fashion Don't somewhere???
Great something else to keep me up at night worrying about:ack:

2Epcot
05-21-2007, 09:15 PM
I remember years ago walking down Hollywood Blvd. on the Walk of Fame on my way home and someone yelled something, so I looked back, and the person took my photo. I was not happy since I didn't know who this person was, or what they were using the photo for. Maybe is was just a photography student, but I don't like someone going out of there way to take a picture specifically of me.

Dixie Springs
05-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Fashion is not on my list of "do's" at WDW. I look just as bad there fashion-wise as any other time. In fact, there is an extra dork-factor, because of my comfort-first tourist garb. I get a reminder of that as I exit the restrooms past the big mirror. :waycool:

DisneyDog
05-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Normally, I try to be "in fashion" -- going to work and so forth. But at Disney, and other vacation spots, fashion usually goes out the proverbial window. I wear a fanny pack and a croakie-thingy on my sunglasses and so forth. I could see how I could end up in a fashion "don't" section while on vacation. 99% of the park would probably end up there as well!

(although, sometimes, you see that family that comes on a Sunday, obviously straight from church, and they are all dressed up and the mom is wearing a dress and high heels, and you have to wonder why they didn't go home and change. It's the dressed up folks who look odd while at WDW!)

DizneyRox
05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
No. Since Disney is open to the public, you basically give up that right. It's kinda like, whether you know it or not, you are video taped all the time in public. One of those girls from that "girls gone wild" video tried to sue the company that produced it and she lost since she was in public in New Orleans.
Once I was at a waterpark in PA and they had a sign up telling everyone that they could be on tv since they were taping a (reality) show from Lifetime called something like "First date".
This is my understanding as well. IANAL but as long as you are in a public place, I don't see what you can do. Same thing with the stars, I'm sure they don't want to the pictures taken of them in public as part of some story, however, in public, there's not much you can do.

bleukarma
05-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Hey, I think I saw that episode!!! I might have saw you!! :mickey:

aprilisis
05-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Normally, I try to be "in fashion" -- going to work and so forth. But at Disney, and other vacation spots, fashion usually goes out the proverbial window. I wear a fanny pack and a croakie-thingy on my sunglasses and so forth. I could see how I could end up in a fashion "don't" section while on vacation. 99% of the park would probably end up there as well!
I'm with you! I take comfort over fashion while in WDW. There was another post about people wearing high heels in the parks- I don't think I would be able to relax & enjoy myself if I was uncomfortable all day. It's sneakers, jeans or shorts, & tank tops for me!

Figaro
05-23-2007, 02:07 AM
US law states (as of late 2006) a photographer may take may take photographs
of whatever they want when they are in a public place or places where they have permission to take photographs. Absent a specific legal prohibition such as a statute or ordinance, you are legally entitled to take photographs. Examples of places that are traditionally considered public are streets, sidewalks, and public parks. Property owners may legally prohibit photography on their premises. Also, Despite misconceptions to the contrary, the following subjects can almost always be photographed lawfully from public places:

accident and fire scenes
children
celebrities
bridges and other infrastructure
residential and commercial buildings
industrial facilities and public utilities
transportation facilities (e.g., airports)
criminal activities
law enforcement officers

SBETigg
05-23-2007, 07:08 AM
This makes sense, Figaro, or else the celebrities would actually have cases to sue the paparazzi regularly. Obviously, they aren't always happy about having their pictures taken (or they act like it) but they're always getting snapped. We're all fair game.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Since I'm such a fashion icon, I guess I don't have to worry. Yeah, right! I do try not to look sloppy though but I do go for comfort.