PDA

View Full Version : Jared's Surprise Vacation: Pre-trip Report

Jared
05-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I write this pre-trip report inherently knowing I am boarding a plane tomorrow night but not yet internalizing the imminent vacation.

At 7 p.m. Sunday night, my family was considering driving to Baltimore for Memorial Day weekend. We were at Walt Disney World in January, so going again was unthinkable.

By 8 p.m. Sunday night, the idea of Walt Disney World was a merely a fantasy; a possible fantasy.

During dinner last night, my brother, Justin, joking suggested we visit Disneyland this weekend. We laughed at the thought, knowing we couldn’t fly across the country to spend a weekend in Anaheim, Calif. But Justin’s comment lit a light bulb over my mother’s head.

Because of Shavuot, a Jewish holiday, my mom is off from work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. If we left Tuesday night, rooms would still be reasonable. We could leave before the Memorial Day rush but still enjoy three or four days in the parks.

Suddenly, my sister and I jumped on the bandwagon. My father slowly began to crack. He gave me permission to make some phone calls.

Although Justin suggested Disney, he would not come. He’s studying for finals and cannot miss school so close to the end of the year. My sister, Elyssa, is only in fifth grade—no finals—so my parents said she could miss the three days. My father, Jeff, would stay home with Justin.

The trip would not be the same without the entire family but worthwhile nevertheless. A few conversations with Disney representatives, and we had a room a standard room at the Contemporary.

We could only make a room-only reservation, not a package, so we had to buy tickets separately. Booking was slightly more complicated than usual, but we are ready to go.

This morning, I made Advance Dining Reservations for dinner each night. On Wednesday night, we’re enjoying the New England clambake at Cape May Care. On Thursday, we’ll trek to the Disney-MGM Studios for Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano before the 9 p.m. Fantasmic!. Finally, we’re having an early dinner at Kona Café on Friday.

Stay tuned for trip reports. Since I am done with school, I will actually finish them this time. If I’m feeling crazy, I’ll write some live updates.

ElenitaB
05-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm so jealous... a last minute trip! :muscles:

Even if it's not with the entire Nut crew it's going to be a great trip. Should you happen to be able to post a live report, please let us know about anything special you see for the opening of POTC:AWE :pirate: (yes, some of us are mildly obsessed :blush: )

Have a MAGICal time! :magic:

disneydrmr
05-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Have a safe and magical trip!:mickey:

faline
05-21-2007, 03:01 PM
What fun! A last minute trip!

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

SBETigg
05-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Oh wow, how fun! Have a great time.

Christine
05-21-2007, 03:15 PM
This is fantastic! A last minute trip, and at the Contemporary!!! Have fun!!

BelleCiavo
05-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Have an amazing trip Jared! Maybe I'll see you there, I'm leaving in 13 hours :mickey:
Karen

Bethanymouse
05-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Sounds like a great plan! Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Goofeygal
05-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Have a great trip. Sometimes the spur of the moment things work out the best.:mickey:

Momof2boys
05-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I'd love to be able to just pick up & go . . . lucky you !

However, make sure you bring Justin a great souvenir back as I feel bad that it was his suggestion but he can't go.

January-2007
05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Have a great trip! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
05-23-2007, 09:09 AM
How wonderful that it worked for at least part of your family to make this last minute trek to WDW! I hope you are having a great time. :mickey:

pogo
05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
I hope you have a wonderfull trip.:thumbsup:

I can't wait to read all about it when you return. :D

Beach Club Babe
05-27-2007, 11:35 AM
What a great surprise! But if I had only known! We were there at the same time! Oddly enough, one day as we were walking, I thought to myself, Gee He looks like Jared! Then I thought, Nah, he wouldn't be here at this time! Maybe it was you, afterall!

DisneyorBust
05-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Now that's great news!:thumbsup:
Isn't it great when a plan comes together!:D
I hope that you have a great time in WDW:mickey: I will be looking forward to the reports from this impromtu trip.