PDA

View Full Version : Update with Photos: Puppy pixie dust needed for 5!

MsMin
05-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Chloe and Max had their second and LAST litter of puppies today. Many of you may remember last year when she had pups and the vet asked us to breed her once more b/c they had such great coats. The pups were due on May 25th and having them 5 days early was tough on everyone. Normal range is 3 days early and considering the gestation is only 9 wks we were a little worried when Chloe's temp dropped this morning indicating that delivery was impending.
We found out on Thurs. that Chloe was expecting 5... a large litter for barely a 6lb dog. Average litter for that size is 1-3 pups.
The first pup was still born delivered @ noon :( and the second struggled to breath for more than 30 mins. I called the vet and it appeared her phone had not been forwarded so I ended up calling the LSU vet hosp and bringing them in. To make a 6 hr ordeal short... the vet found them a little early but healthy, she delivered one there and one in the car on the way home and one more at home.
Total: 2 females and 2 males are still hanging in there.
If they make the first couple days they should be ok but they are so young they barely have hair. Her first litter last year was black and tan like a regular Yorkie. These are black and pink b/c they have so little hair. So if you have any spare puppy pixie dust it would be appreciated. We worked so hard with the pups and labor we didn't take pictures. :paw:
I have pics of the first litter so you can compare the size. The first few are the old pics of the first litter. Thanks again for the pixie dust. The last 2 are really doing well, we gained 1 full oz. each!!!
http://pets.webshots.com/slideshow/559195107qGLGoG

RenDuran
05-21-2007, 01:12 AM
I hope the puppies and Chloe do well. Here's some pixie dust for them. :pixie: And please get her spayed! :blush:

mrsgaribaldi
05-21-2007, 04:45 AM
Loads of puppy :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for mom and her babies. I hope they are all ok.

tinkerbellybutton
05-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Lots of pixie dust on it's way for your tiny little fur babies! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

conorsmom2000
05-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Much pixie dust for Chloe and the puppies!! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: Please keep us posted on how they are doing!!

Jeri Lynn
05-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Pixie dust for Chloe and her little puppies, I hope they are doing well!!

mtown71
05-21-2007, 08:59 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: Here's some pixie dust from my corner of the world. Hope puppies & Chloe are o.k.

MsMin
05-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the :pixie: The pups are still barely eating and losing weight so I put them in the puppy hospital this a.m. They will draw blood from Chloe and give it to the pups to give them her antibodies. They are all breathing well now and all weigh at least 3 oz. Chloe looks great and is a great mom but these babes are just so young.
I will let you know when I hear from the vet today. They expect to send them home this afternoon.

disneydrmr
05-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Sending more puppy pixie dust! Glad they are doing a bit better! Please keep us updated! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

DizNee143
05-21-2007, 10:31 AM
aww..pixie dust on the way!!..i hope the pups will be ok...it sounds like they will...any chance for some pictures?? :mickey:

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

aprilisis
05-21-2007, 12:40 PM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for the pups!
Please keep us posted.

kakn7294
05-21-2007, 11:08 PM
More puppy pixie dust on the way! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: Keep us posted on the progress of both Chloe and the babies!

Namine'
05-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Lots of puppy pixie dust :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for Chloe and her puppies. I Hope all will do well.

Belle--86
05-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Sending you more puppy pixie dust for Chloe and her puppies:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: Hope their doing well---keep us posted.

MsMin
05-22-2007, 10:33 AM
We are hanging in there. I brought them to the vet yesterday and one died while at the vet:( It was the little female. She looked bad, I don't think she was as developed as the others b/c she didn't have as much hair and her eyes (though closed) were bulging.
The remaining three have held their own overnight. We took four hour shifts feeding them and putting them to the teat. It takes a good 30 mins to feed them and sometimes longer and they have to be fed every hour. Never thought I would be expressing dog milk:blush:
They just aren't sucking well yet. At least they haven't lost any more weight so we have hopes that they will get strong enough soon to eat on their own.
Thanks so much for the :pixie: it has been exhausting and your encouragement helps so much.

kakn7294
05-22-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm so sorry that you lost another one. Hopefully the rest will perk up soon! Keep us updated and take care of yourself too.

MsMin
05-22-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm so sorry that you lost another one. Hopefully the rest will perk up soon! Keep us updated and take care of yourself too.
Thanks :D I told my dd's that having a baby wasn't this hard b/c we feed three every hour so it takes so much time. It was taking 2 ppl full time at first b/c we had to express the milk from the mom but I'm using a milk replacement now and we have 3 hours shifts. That gives us each 6 hrs sleep before work. I've thankful I'm not doing it alone. Rachel, who works for a vet took the pups with her today when I had to go to LSU to see my prof.

mrsgaribaldi
05-23-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm so sorry about the one that died. They sound so tiny and helpless. Hang in there, you know the reward will be great. More :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: and prayers on the way for everyone.

Lizzy
05-23-2007, 07:32 AM
I am sorry that you lost the pup. MOre puppy pixie dust ont he way. I breed shelties and know all too well the ordeal you are going through right now. Stay strong. Those little babies will thank you later!

MsMin
05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
We lost another pup yesterday. but I think we've made the turn with the others because today was their first true weight gain. They both weigh 3.5 oz now.
Yesterday was very traumatic. The sick pup started with the "death cry" on Tuesday night and we worked with it round the clock watching it grow weaker every second. We think that since it had a very poor sucking reflex it may have gotten milk in it's lungs which became infected. Christin, my dd, felt so bad b/c she named him b/c he was born in the car when we were headed back from LSU Sunday. He was only 2.5 oz. She called him Carmichael (born in the car;)) It was so sad.
So two remain out of 5 but we feel fortunate that we still have two since they were born so early. They are starting to get more hair and the pads on their feet now. :paw: Thanks for the :pixie:
My son even took a puppy shift last night so we could get some rest. We've giving these pups round the clock attention since Sunday. Honestly, it makes you wonder how many pups are lost in puppy mills??:(

kakn7294
05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: Here's a lot more pixie dust for those last 2 - it sounds like they really need it! I never knew that a few days could make such a difference in a newborn pup's life. I hope Chloe is doing well - it must be hard on her too. Please keep us updated - and hopefully it will be only good news from now on!

MsMin
05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks, everyone's :pixie: helps us to keep going :) The gestation period is nine weeks compared to nine months so days make a tremendous difference. I was surprised to learn that many premies have cleft palates where in humans that closes so early in development.
I cried watching Chloe last night. She was so so tired b/c we were taking breaks but she was up watching us round the clock occassionally passing out. When we removed the pup we lost she went nuts looking all over the house for it throwing everything out of the whelping box, she even jumped on the sofa trying to find it there. Every couple hours she went through this routine. We had set up the "ICU" for the pups in a bathroom where we could keep it real toasty. Now that they are stronger we have them in my room and she keeps going in the bathroom looking for the pup. I will have pictures soon.

mrsgaribaldi
05-24-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm so sorry that you lost another one. I would be so sad. This must be a very hard time for all of you. More :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: and prayers for the puppies, their parents and the humans giving them so much love and care.

Lizzy
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I am so sorry that you lost little Carmichael. Sounds like the other two are starting to thrive.

Honestly, it makes you wonder how many pups are lost in puppy mills??:(

This is a devastating thought, and something I am really passionate about. I sit with a little of my pups and wonder how those poor dogs deal with the torture of being bred over and over, and having pups die and no one there to help them. How many mother dogs die trying to whelp a stuck pup? It is so sad. It is also a huge reason why my puppies that don't go to other breeders that I know are responsible are sold on spay/neuter contracts along with a limited registration to do my best to prevent irresponsible breeding or one of my pups ending up in a puppy mill. I also always sell them with a contract that states if the puppy buyer ever needs to give up or sell the dog for any reason, I have first option of taking the pup back.

Best wishes with the rest of the puppies. I hope momma recovers soon from the sad emotions she is going through!

kakn7294
05-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Hey MsMin, I was just wondering how the pups and Chloe are today? Give us an update!

Dsnygirl
05-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Sending as much puppy :pixie::pixie::pixie:as I can - I sure hope your new little ones do okay!! Be sure to let us know - Yorkies are just so darn cute... :D Good luck over the next few day!!

MsMin
05-27-2007, 12:00 AM
http://pets.webshots.com/slideshow/559195107qGLGoG
So here are the pics I promised. We really didn't feel like smiling and taking a lot of pics after the first pup :(. I posted this at the top too. I have several pics from the 1st litter so you can see the difference.
They are doing great and have now gained more than an oz each and have finally passed their birth weight of 3.8 and 3.9 oz. They are now 4.5 and 4.7oz. WE can actually leave them for up to 3 or 4 hours and Chloe does everything. She has finally rested too. :paw:
Thanks again for all your support it really helped us through the tough time. :notworth:

snifflesmcg
05-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the photos. Remember, you still have two puppies left. I'm hoping they grow up just fine now.:pixie::pixie:

daparish
05-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Beth,
I am so sorry I am late posting. Sending loads of :pixie: to Chole and her two pups. I am sorry for the ones you lost.

MsMin
05-28-2007, 02:49 PM
I am so sorry that you lost little Carmichael. Sounds like the other two are starting to thrive.
This is a devastating thought, and something I am really passionate about. I sit with a little of my pups and wonder how those poor dogs deal with the torture of being bred over and over, and having pups die and no one there to help them. How many mother dogs die trying to whelp a stuck pup? It is so sad. It is also a huge reason why my puppies that don't go to other breeders that I know are responsible are sold on spay/neuter contracts along with a limited registration to do my best to prevent irresponsible breeding or one of my pups ending up in a puppy mill. I also always sell them with a contract that states if the puppy buyer ever needs to give up or sell the dog for any reason, I have first option of taking the pup back.
Best wishes with the rest of the puppies. I hope momma recovers soon from the sad emotions she is going through!
Boy, I think of the things I've done to deliver a pup:blush: Chloe's 1st litter the first one was largest and (breech though it's not a whelping term) it was a struggle. Since these were almost 1/2 the size of a regular litter they practically popped out. I do understand the need for ppl to adopt recuse pups but I think it's also important for responsible breeders to produce healthy and well care for registered pups. The public will continue to demand them and if we don't provide healthy pups we are only supporting the puppy mills b/c we know they won't stop as long as their is a demand.
pups are still doing fine...
Thanks Ken for the "update" change on the title. :)
I will continue to add pics as they grow. Now we have to hope there is no damage to the pups that will keep them from making healthy pets.

Bethanymouse
05-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Loads of pixie dust and prayers coming your way! Thanks for sharing the puppy pics!

rnin02
05-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Poor Chloe, looking for her lost pups:( I hope the remaining babies continue to thrive and grow and we hear lots of good updates!

disneynarula
05-29-2007, 10:45 AM
WOW! I had no idea that taking care of puppies is so much work. It sounds like more work than a newborn baby. At least I got out of the house every now and again!

I think it is wonderful that you care so much for Chloe and her puppies. I am so sorry that you had such a hard time this go around.

I think it is so great that there are responsible pet owners out there.

pianobabe
05-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Chloe looks like such a good little Mommy standing by and protecting her little ones. Everything all of you have gone through over the past couple of weeks must have been exhausting both physically and mentally. The puppies are beautiful. I am sorry for the ones you all lost.

mrsgaribaldi
06-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Beth how are they doing? I was thinking of them and you all this morning. They are so tiny in the pics. I hope everyone is doing better. :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:Chloe is so cute.

Dsnygirl
06-29-2007, 11:32 AM
:) Thanks for sharing the pictures!! They are adorable... I'm glad to hear they're doing better. :thumbsup:

MsMin
06-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks for asking about them. I will have more pics up soon. We went to the vet today b/c the little princess has a hernia but the vet said we it isn't large enough to require emergency surgery :clappy: She she will do fine until she's at least 5lbs or near that. She's the little chub chub that pushes her brother out of the way @ meal time and the weight didn't help the underdeveloped muscles.
I think your :pixie: may have spared her from a more serious problem.... Thanks again everyone. I'm waiting for the pics my son took and will have them up soon....

kakn7294
06-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the update! I was wondering how they are doing as well. Can't wait to see those pics!