PDA

View Full Version : A run down of time it takes to get to various parks?

Jessie
05-20-2007, 03:21 PM
This is probably easier if it's done by area rather than specific resorts.

DH and I have been discussing our first trip as a family to WDW. I'm a Magic Kingdom girl all the way. I think this is because I grew up with Disneyland. We'll also have our 3 year old with us. So I want to stay at the Poly to be near MK.

DH would like to save a few thousand (and I can't say I blame him!) and stay at a moderate resort. My big issue with that is the distance. All I can imagine is struggling with a fussy toddler mid-day, trying to make it back to my hotel room and having to wait forever for a bus that will have multiple stops. I guess I just imagine the Poly as being easier to get back to. Just hop on the monorail (make a couple of stops) and we're there.

The last time I went to WDW was about 8 years ago though. 17, no kids, no worries. So my memory is totally going off that.

Help me figure this out! Is it generally pretty quick to get back from MK to a resort like Port Orleans (FQ)?

I also wanted to add that my DD is pretty intense and quite a handful. I know that a lot of kids are, but we're the couple that has to leave things early or take shifts eating at restaurants because she can get very agitated and needs a breather. So the idea of getting to and from the hotel room easily takes a lot of stress off my mind.

RockChalkKimball
05-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I have stayed at both CBR and POR. Although I have never actually timed the trip to each park, it has never been more than about 15 minutes. Try to travel at off times, if waiting for a bus is an issue. If you leave a park at closing time, you will get into long lines and may have to wait for two or three busses before you get on.

kakn7294
05-20-2007, 04:36 PM
We stayed at POFQ in December. These time estimates are based on what we experienced at that time from the time we actually got on the bus - the waiting period for the bus has not been taken into account. It took about 10 min to Epcot, about 10 - 15 min to MK, 15 - 20 min to MGM, and 20 - 25 min to AK depending on the traffic patterns and the number of people loading / unloading at each stop. POR would be about the same. We stayed at CBR in Sept '05. I don't remember the exact times there but Epcot and MGM were the shortest and probably about 10 - 15 min each. MK and AK were the longest at probably about 20 - 25 min each. I've never stayed at CSR so I can't say what those times are like.

vamaggie
05-20-2007, 07:41 PM
2 words: rental car. I cannot imagine going to WDW with little ones (tough or easy as they may be) w/o a rental car (even though many on this site disagree) It is much easier to drive out of a park than wait for a bus. When we went in '01 & '04 we stayed at WL (in '01 Ds was 4 & in '04 DS7 & DD18mo). It was very easy to get to MK via the boat and we drove to AK & Epcot--no problem getting back for DD's nap/bedtime. If DH does not want to pay for Poly convenience, maybe compromise and stay at WL or a mod and rent a car. Also (even though you didn't ask) try to keep to DD's sleep/eat schedule as much as possible (or adjust her schedule a few weeks before your trip) and she may be easier. Whatever you decide--ENJOY!

dizneyfreek
05-20-2007, 07:46 PM
I say stay at WL. Its less expensive than the poly and in my opinion, is the better of the two.
We just came back from WL and we had a 2 and 4 year old with us. Wevisited MK many times and the boat ride is great and only takes 7-10 minutes. We were able to roll our side by side stroller right on the boat. That was very convenient. Good luck with your choice!

Jessie
05-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks so much for all the input! It's been very helpful :)

spoiledraf
05-20-2007, 09:52 PM
1 word. Taxi. Cheaper than a rental car and no parking time added. If your daughter is having a good day, take the bus. If not, Oh taxi!

Mom2princesses
05-21-2007, 07:18 PM
We stay at the Poly because of the same reasons you state. The buses can be a frustrating with a screaming 3yo and a whining 10 yo is not much better! But folding up the stroller and getting on a crowed bus is not fun. We will drive to AK instead of taking the bus.

SBETigg
05-21-2007, 07:52 PM
To my experience, it is very hard to go moderate once you have stayed monorail deluxe. My first stay was at the Contemporary. My second, my honeymoon, was at the Grand Floridian. My first trip with my kids was at POR. POR was lovely, but how much we missed the ease of being right there at the MK!

People will tell you the time buses take to get from point A to point B, but factor in the fact that you have to go to a further bus stop, load stroller on bus, possibly wait for a second bus because the first bus is too crowded... transportation from any park back to our hotel rarely took us under an hour if we stayed to park closing, and we stayed at POR at a not busy season. Traveling at off times and not staying until closing could help. Buses to parks were usually quicker, the fifteen-twenty minutes is accurate.

The monorail is much easier and you will miss it. Not just to MK but to Epcot. Still, you can have a perfectly lovely stay for less money at the moderate resorts, so if money is an issue, your husband makes a good argument to stay moderate. Just know that transport can, but may not, take more time. And the good news is that POFQ gets served by the buses before POR, cutting down on some of that travel/wait time. Also, a nice compromise is the Wilderness Lodge, a deluxe with a slightly lower price.

HereWeGoAgain!
05-22-2007, 01:19 PM
We are enjoying the WORLD as we speak! I booked at the BWI - love it but the transportation STINKS!!! We have decided to use our own car from here on out - we have waited between 35 minutes to an HOUR to get to Typhoon Lagoon and Magic Kingdom - you don't want to try this with a three year old!! I'm over 35 and I was ready to cry!! Next time we will most definitely book a resort on the monorail route!!!!

Efrank
05-22-2007, 09:56 PM
We were just at SSR and other than one wait at Epcot that was 30 minutes, we never waited for more than 10m for a bus and it was never full. We were there with a DD4 and a DS2. SSR has its own bus, with 5 stops on property. We stayed at the first stop, so longer to get places, but quicker return trip. DS did really well, even if he was upset other places, he never cried on the bus for some reason. If you stay at a moderate, maybe try to find out which stop is first on the return trip and stay near that stop if possible. But I agree, staying on the monorail would be my first choice too :thumbsup:

psychotekkie
05-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Did Poly last summer with my DD7 and DS2 and we absolutely loved it. Yes the theming is amazing, the restaurants, dinner show, staff, tikis, gift shops, pool, view of MK fireworks, everything was really top notch. But the convenience alone was worth it to us. Every day in the early afternoon we all skipped back to the hotel for a nap (we all napped, not just DS2) and it was the most relaxing Disney vacation we've ever had. The monorail was fast, frequent, and we always got to sit (standing in a bus for 30 minutes carrying a heavy child after a long day with sore feet and trying not to fall over.... vs .... sitting on a nice quick smooth ride that takes you right to your lobby. Huge difference).

This year we sadly could not afford to do the Poly again, so we are going to the other extreme, staying at a Value resort, but we are bringing our own convenience with us (our trusty car).

Jessie
05-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Well money isn't the main issue as in, we'll go broke or anything. But naturally he is keen on not spending as much. However, after having him read some of these responses and talking further, we've decided to go Poly :cloud9:

Mama is happy.

January-2007
05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
That's something we love about Pop Century- only one bus stop. It's door to door, love it. It took around 5-10 minutes to get to MGM and Epcot, maybe 10-20 minutes to get to Magic Kingdom. Only went to Animal Kingdom once so don't really recall, just that it took a long time to catch the bus back from that park. The multiple bus stops is one of the many reasons we're just not that interested in the moderate resorts. I'd rather just have the one bus stop. Happy planning!