PDA

View Full Version : "A Toast to Good Health and Life-long Love" Days 1 and a Crazy Travel Day

marlyn
05-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Well...here it begins, finally. I have been so busy since my return that I just haven't been able to manage this report. Most days I will do 2 days at a time since I was there for so long (15 nights) and there is no way I can remember what rides I did on what day. Suffice it to say that we pretty much did absolutely every single ride and most more than once...some more than that. (such as 20+ Buzz etc... )

Cast of Characters:
Me :)
My 11 year old twin boys
my parents celebrating their 50th Anniversary

Dates:
April 20 - May 5 2007

Resort: All Star Movies

Day 1 Friday April 20

Our Travel day.The countdown (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2782449610056953537JztfrX?vhost=family) is done and we are off. We departed out of Vancouver at 12:00 noon. We had to fly to Toronto (4 1/2 hrs) and then had only 1 1/2 hr connection in Toronto until our flight to Orlando. Since we were flying domestic from Vancouver to Toronto we had to get off plane, pick up our bags at customs, clear customs, put bags back on carousel and then get to gate. Normally 1 1/2 hrs is enough time unless.....

When we are sitting at gate we notice our flight out of Vancouver is delayed 1/2 hr. "It's alright" we think since we will still have 1 hr to get to plane in TO. We board plane and then we sit, and sit....finally the pilot comes on to notify us that there is a problem with a door and a mechanic is attempting to repair. OK, so NOW silent panic kicks in.

Finally it is fixed and off we go. Flight was uneventful until we land. Now we are down to 1/2 hr until we have to be at new gate. Pilot announces that we have to wait for incoming traffic before we can taxi in. We wait...and wait for about 4 planes. My kids are starting to get very upset and I am getting an ulcer.

When we finally get into gate it is about 10 minutes at the most until our next plane leaves. We get separated getting off plane but all just RUN to get to customs. My one son is with my Dad and my other son is with my Mom and I. We get to customs and my Dad and other son are missing. Missing!!!

I have the bags, they won't let us out of secure area to go find them.It is past the time that the plane is to leave now...they tell me that they have to offload us. They phone down to gate (we have not yet cleared customs) and they tell the plane to offload us. then they tell me there is no other plane to Orlando that night. It is after 9:00 pm now. Just then my dad and son come around corner. they had accidentally gone to regular baggage claim instead of "connecting passenger" baggage claim. There were 2 men behind the desk, one said it was too late when they arrived...but the other one said he would call the gate.
WE MADE IT! They held the plane and they rushed us through customs and we RAN. Couldn't breathe when we got on plane, and spent the entire flight shaking my head because i couldn't believe we had made it!

Landed at MCO, took DME to resort. Loved DME and would do again for sure! It was about 12:30 am when we boarded the DME bus and by the time we got to resort,after stops at Yacht & Beach Club, Pop Century, Coronado Springs, it was almost 2:00 am. I had requested a preferred room but when I checked in they said I had Mighty Ducks. We had stayed Mighty Ducks last time and my boys were sad we didn't have Toy Story. I said I would get up in morning and see what i could do.

We went to room...so excited despite the time. Still not believing we had made it and weren't spending night in Toronto airport. We had adjoining rooms (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2271196510056953537aRYUbK?vhost=family) and found this (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2203208100056953537JwBnWp?vhost=family) in my room and this (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2922129640056953537bPgPPc?vhost=family) in my parent's room window.

Our rooms were on the very end of the building facing the pool (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2945301020056953537SntjKJ?vhost=family) , and right by the Dalmations (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2484751160056953537JnlPNx?vhost=family) building. All we had to do was go down stairs and we could cut through Dalmatians to get to Food Court. I started thinking maybe we would keep these rooms...but kids really wanted Toy Story so I said I would try to change in morning. We all crashed into bed. Slept like the dead for a grand total of 4 hrs!!

Why I woke up at 6:00 am I have no clue, but I went to front desk to see about switching buildings. As I was walking to front I noticed cheerleaders EVERYWHERE in Dalmatians and Fantasia area. They were practicing their routines anywhere they could find space. There were none in our Mighty Ducks section, but they seemed to be everywhere else. Turns out it is World Cheer leading competition. 9000 cheerleaders! So...needless to say I was quite content to stay put where we were. (for the record...Disney couldn't get me into preferred anyhow and did rebate me the difference).

Kids were still sleeping so I just wandered around soaking it all in.....

merlinmagic4
05-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Whew.......glad you made it! You had me on the edge of my seat; I could feel the stress:( I love the pics you have added into the report - very cool! Can't wait to read more!

SBETigg
05-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Oh boy, what a travel day! But you got there, hooray! Let the fun begin.

BelleCiavo
05-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Your subtitle was very appropriate, oh boy :eek: I'm sure there were better days ahead and I can't wait to read all about them.
Karen :mickey:

Belle's Mom
05-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Makes me appreciate my 350 miles to get to the "World"! Glad you made it!!:mickey:

Bethis26fan
05-20-2007, 04:20 PM
glad you made it there.

Christine
05-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Good grief, you sure NEEDED this vacation after that travel day! My goodness!

Glad all turned out well, and hope you get plenty of ice cream to coat that new ulcer! :thumbsup:

Off to read more...

pogo
05-20-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm so glad you made it ! It was a real pleasure meeting you, you boys and parents.:thumbsup:

I can't wait to read more. :D

ElenitaB
05-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I would have freaked in the Toronto airport... I'm so glad that it worked out and you made it to Orlando, albeit terribly late at night!

Wise choice in staying in the less preferred, but cheerleader-free building!

On to reading about your days in the parks!

Bethanymouse
05-21-2007, 07:16 AM
What a way to start off the trip! Talk about stressful, I was getting a stomache just reading about that! I am glad that everything worked out and you made it on time! Thanks so much for sharing!:thumbsup:

disneydrmr
05-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Wow, what a day! Sure hope the rest of your trip is 'ulcer free'.... and I think you made a wise choice in staying in the cheerleader free building! Off to read more!:mickey:

pdrlkr
05-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Glad you made it! :thumbsup:

faline
05-21-2007, 12:11 PM
What a stressful way to start your trip! Glad it all worked out and you made it to Disney without having to sleep at the airport!

CanadianWDWFan
05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
That is why I choose not to fly out of Toronto unless I absolutely have to!

I was nice to meet you and your family at our mini-meet!

Other that the flight experience you made it safe and sound down at the World!:mickey:

offwego
05-22-2007, 09:46 AM
What an awful travel day! I'm so glad your rooms worked out in the end.

Mickey'sGirl
05-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I understand why you stayed for 16 days! Toronto's airport is horrid when you aren't under stress!! I'm so glad you made it to your resort and could rest for a bit! :thumbsup:

DizNee143
05-22-2007, 10:38 AM
oooh..im soo glad you guys made the plane...that was relly nice of them to hold the plane just a few seconds longer to get you all there!!! you must of been so happy for that!!! cant wait to read about the rest of the trip!!! :mickey:

sleepingbooty
05-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Whew! I was getting stressed just reading about it - you're so lucky you made it!

January-2007
05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for reporting! I didn't know preferred rooms weren't guaranteed.

ChipnDaleGal
05-25-2007, 08:42 AM
WOW! I am so sorry that you had all that scary drama on your trip down, but what a relief that they held the plane and you made it. :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
05-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Talk about stressful. Glad you made it:thumbsup:

glenpreece
05-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I HATE the Toronto airport!!! I am so glad we are going to fly out of Buffalo this trip. Glad to hear they were able to hold the plane for you!!!!

Dsnygirl
06-08-2007, 04:24 AM
:mickey: Phew! Glad you guys made that plane!! What a relief it must have been to finally get there, no matter what the time!! (Can't believe it's taken me this long to get to your reports... can't wait to read more!)

IloveJack
06-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Glad everything worked out for you. I must confess, I looked at all the pictures at once.:blush: Thanks for the Disney fix! You've got some great pics!

Only 35 days til I'm back with the Mouse!

Lizzie
06-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Wow what a crazy travel day.