PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide! 50's prime Time or Sci Fi?

scooterca42
05-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Lunchtime at MGM! Where would you go?

I have an ADR for 50's, but I am leaning now towards Sci-Fi - though we've been there before, and haven't been to 50's.

Which would you choose - and how long would a lunch take at 50's from when you sit down?

JPL
05-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Actually for me a usually just grad a CS lunch at the Backlot Express over the Sci-Fi. IMHO Sci-fi is very close to overpriced counter service food. If you are worried about time I would stay with counter service. If you ant a fun experience and not to concerned about spending and hour to hour and a half got with Prime Time over Sci-Fi

GreenBeetle
05-20-2007, 12:59 PM
This question seems to be a hot topic lately. ;) Sci-Fi is one of our regular stops at MGM. You can't beat the atmosphere and the food is not bad either - not exceptional, but not bad. I was not thrilled with 50s Prime Time. I felt cramped in the little "kitchens" and I can do without the waiter/waitress "interaction" (for lack of a better word).

TexasPrincessAurora
05-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I have to give my vote to the 50's especially if you've never been. The atmosphere is fun and festive and playful and the food is consistently good, home cooked comfort food.

The Sci Fi on the other hand, while it has an incredible atmosphere and theme...the food is terrible, just terrible. When it first opened it had really good and creative food to go along with its theme. Now, not only is it bad food the amount you get isn't worth the price.

mouseketeer mom
05-20-2007, 04:06 PM
There are 5 of us, so while eating at Sci-fi, we had a "car" and my girls were in the front, my DH and DS in the middle, and I in the back, solo. I really didn't like that, it was impossible to talk, we just looked at the movies, which freaked out my kids. The food was OK. I really liked the food at 50's, but you have to be prepared for interaction. Our Aunt was hysterical. At least I thought that, because I wasn't the target, my husband was!!! I love home cooking and thought the food was yummy!

Sharon1026
05-20-2007, 05:45 PM
I've eaten at both a few times, and the 50's has better food, plus it's fun.

Yes, it's a bit cramped in there, but you really feel like you are in a 50's kitchen.

I rec. that you give it a try...

Either way, you'll have fun!

:stitch2:

Guya103
05-20-2007, 06:04 PM
We love 50's because of the atmosphere, experience and good food. Sci-fi does not stand out enough for our family as an experience for Disney dining. The food is OK but my vote is for 50's!:mickey:

scooterca42
05-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Sounds good - looks like I'll stick with 50's! I appreciate the advice.

jenperich
05-20-2007, 09:16 PM
My vote is actually for Sci-Fi. I absolutely love the atmosphere there. And I actually really like the food. That's just my opinion. :-)

mousetrapper
05-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Yep, I prefer '50s, although one of my DDs really wants to go back to Sci Fi this trip.

I must say that your experience at 50s depends on your waiter/waitress (or Mom or cousin or whatever the character is!)...the first time I went it was just me and my DH and we had a fabulously hilarious "Mom" who served us...when we went back with our DDs "Cousin Jimmy" wasn't quite as entertaining...

The food seems better at 50s too.

MMFreak
05-21-2007, 03:34 PM
My family and I go to the Prime Time every year. It is comfort food and nothing really spectacular but Disney cast members make this a great meal. We ate at the Sci-Fi once and it was terrible.

AdventurerKim
05-22-2007, 11:58 AM
We like Sci Fi for lunch, although we have eaten at 50's. My DH likes 50's but I don't so much. We also love Mama Melrose's for lunch too!

JCDarzi
05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
I like 50s better for the atmosphere and food. You do get a ton of food so be prepared to eat a lot or share a plate. The theming reminds me of my grandparents house with all the retro decorations.

We did have a good meal at Sci-Fi but I wasn't thrilled with watching the silly vintage science fiction clips. While they were not gross, watching mummies and space aliens is not exactly what I want to watch while eating.

One plus for Sci-Fi if you have young kids, the darkened room was great for napping toddlers. This was the only calm meal we had during the week-long trip. I could also see where older kids would really like the atmosphere at Sci-Fi with the cars, movie, glowing ice-cubes.

Mickey'sGirl
05-22-2007, 01:18 PM
We love the Sci-Fi -- great atmosphere and good food (similar to counter service food -- but good none the less). The food at the 50's on the other hand, never fails to disappoint us. It's all a matter of opinion.

Vinny
05-22-2007, 09:16 PM
While I have never been to Prime Time 50's, I have been to Sci-Fi before. The themes and atmosphere at Sci-Fi are very good but unfortunately the food does not measure up. I ordered a cheeseburger with fries (a meal I could have gotten cheaper at ABC Commissary or Backlot Express). The burger was very dry and our server offered to put in the order again but I decided not to, as I had already waited over 20 minutes for my initial order. I would go with 50's Prime Time. Have a good trip!!