PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century resort

paragon
05-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi all, I just returned from our yearly trip to WDW. Ususally we stay at a value resort, but this time we were with others and stayed off property.
On our last day we traveled around the Disney resorts to poke around. Here's my question:
Does anyone know if there are plans to finish the Pop Century resort? I was there two years ago to look around and a WDW telephone/cable worker told us that the construction of phase two stopped immediately after 9/11, he said they had almost everythng in place including the telephones. But when we went there yesterday, phase two was surprisingy still in the exact same stage, unfinished and overgrown. that was surprising to me, to see a half finished Disney resort in such a state.
Does anyone know what happened? Why haven't they completed this resort?
Thanks, if anyone knows.

Anthony
05-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Bumping this back up, I am also very curious about why construction stopped. I assumed Pop Century had been completed by now. Someone has to know.

paragon
05-22-2007, 08:25 AM
When i was there two years ago, with my wife and son, we bumped into a WDW telephone/cable worker named Scott Cook. He chatted with us for quite a while and he told us that the construction initially stopped immediately after 9/11, he said they were ready to go, right down to the phones and paper clips. He told us that the plans were to begin again and it would have been done within 18 months of that time ( this was two years ago) he was very pleasant and knowledgable, he loved his job, never thought he'd be working for Disney, but wouldnt trade it for anything now.
Last week, we specifically went to look at Pop because we want to stay there on our next trip) and we wanted to see the finished resort. Wow was I surprised to see it that way. We took pictures-of the unfinshed project. Wow.
I hope someone here DOES know whats going on there.

JPL
05-22-2007, 09:56 AM
They froze construction after 9/11 dues to the drop in tourism. They found they were having problems filling rooms on property and decided to keep on the project on hold. The latest rumours has it becoming family suites in the near future. The last opening date I heard was 2008.

paragon
05-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for that. I saw that there were two other buildings up, one similar to the guest rooms, the other looks to be a second concourse/dining hall, it has the 00-40's signs on it. I'm assuming the "generation gap bridge" will be continued on to that building, and there is a small lake which may eventually be used for small watercraft?