PDA

View Full Version : ? about DVC in December

TooGoofy
05-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Through a series of incredible coincidences, we may be going to WDW in early December! This has been a dream of mine for years! We are planning on buying into DVC (at AKLV) when we go down in July. We would like (ha ha ha) to maybe stay at Beach Club or Boadwalk in December, since most of the things we want to do are at Epcot and MGM. (But then again, so would everyone in DVC it seems!) We aren't picky, a standard view studio is fine!

We are in a slight bind, because we can't make our reservations until we buy in, of course. I know my chances of getting BCV or BWV are slim, but is there any chance that we won't be able to get in anywhere? We would not mind staying at our soon to be "home" resort AKLV, but I'm not sure how many of the converted rooms they would have open and available at that time frame.

Any advice or encouraging words?

dlpmikki
05-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Early December is incredibly popular with DVC members - even OKW is usually fully booked. Your best bet may well be SSR as it is so big. Folks who own at AKV are already booking December stays!

Ian
05-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Here's a question ... why wait to buy? Buy now and then you can book sooner. You can do it all over the phone/mail, there's no need to be there in person.

I can't say I'm thrilled with your feedback, Mikki. We're currently booked at POR for December 9th through the 14th and were planning on replacing that trip with a DVC resort instead.

But for some odd reason our membership information hasn't shown up yet. I was thinking it wouldn't be a problem to get in somewhere, but now you have me nervous.

Maleficent's Dad
05-19-2007, 01:13 PM
We tried to add some guests and get a studio on points for the upcoming December - first weekend, 12/8-12/9.

There wasn't a single studio available that weekend - in any DVC resort (WDW).

It's kind of scary how incredibly popular the month of December has become with DVC...

I hate to sound negative, but I think the chances of the BW or BC villas in December are very, very slim. They're tough to get during average times, never mind "peak" times.

Ian
05-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Just an update on this ... we finally got our membership ID and we were able to book for December, but we had to take a one bedroom. They had absolutely no studios left anywhere on property at any of the DVC resorts.

In fact, there was nothing available anywhere except OKW and SSR. Beach Club, VWL, and Boardwalk were completely sold out.

rbl291
05-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Wow...for some good news, I just got off the phone with MS( 4:00pm dst) and they had studio SV and also 1bdm SV available at AKV for Dec 4-7th! We booked the 1bdm as we already have SSR for Dec 1-4. (staying there with friends). Don't mind the move at all, since part of our group is departing anyway!

dlpmikki
05-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Just an update on this ... we finally got our membership ID and we were able to book for December, but we had to take a one bedroom. They had absolutely no studios left anywhere on property at any of the DVC resorts.

In fact, there was nothing available anywhere except OKW and SSR. Beach Club, VWL, and Boardwalk were completely sold out.

Did you go for SSR or OKW? I'm hoping you will say OKW as the one bedrooms are awesome! Glad you were able to get in (although even DVC is a let down after the castle ;) )

Ian
05-22-2007, 05:12 PM
No, I went with SSR.

I have to be honest ... I stayed at OKW once with John and I thought the room was very run down looking.

It reminded me of staying at a cheap motel at the Jersey Shore.

dlpmikki
05-22-2007, 05:38 PM
No, I went with SSR.

I have to be honest ... I stayed at OKW once with John and I thought the room was very run down looking.

I've never stayed at a cheap motel on the Jersey Shore so I can't comment. I hope you enjoy your stay anyway.

Ian
05-22-2007, 06:11 PM
I've never stayed at a cheap motel on the Jersey Shore so I can't comment. I hope you enjoy your stay anyway.And I haven't made it "across the pond", Mikki, so I can't offer up any better comparison as of yet. ;)

VAdizneefan
05-22-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm booked in a 2BR at OKW from 11/24 to 11/30. I just recently moved it from SSR to OKW. That was the only other place available and the cast member sounded surprised that they had availability there. I had called a couple of other times to see if by chance BWV had any 2BR but none of the times I called held any availability. Seems it is a very popular time indeed!

ElenitaB
05-24-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm booked in a 2BR at OKW from 11/24 to 11/30. I just recently moved it from SSR to OKW.
You should be really happy there! The one bedrooms are HUGE so the two bedroom should almost feel palatial. ;) We love the fact that the rooms there are so big: huge tub in the master, big laundry room and big kitchen. I just wish I could find someplace as nice in terms of apartments here in NYC.

TiggerRPh
05-26-2007, 10:33 AM
No, I went with SSR.

OKW is in the process of rehabing and upgrading all the rooms...it's been an ongoing process for a couple of years now.

I love OKW....I think it's the best of the DVC resort because it's more relaxed and the rooms are bigger compared to the others.

Unless you stayed with John again....I'm recalling that was a couple of years ago, right? So, it's likely that you'd get a "new" room now.

Even if you don't...it would still be better than SSR even though it's new IMO. I don't care for SSR at all. I haven't been in the rooms but it's got an institutional look about it...just my opinion.

Ian
05-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah, it was a long time ago ... 2003, I think.

That's interesting to know that it's being rehabbed. Makes me more interested in staying there, because I really like the atmosphere. It's a beautiful property.

Of course, it's irrelevant for this trip because there wasn't anything available at OKW anyway. Well ... only a studio, but we're kinda locked into the 1BR now.

Carol
05-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Just an update on this ... we finally got our membership ID and we were able to book for December, but we had to take a one bedroom. They had absolutely no studios left anywhere on property at any of the DVC resorts.I don't think you'll be disappointed with that outcome, Ian. There is no comparison between the two. You'll have a hard time staying in a studio once you've had a 1 or 2 bedroom villa. I've gone with just my son and we still book a 1-bedroom.

Ian
05-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, with the 2 kids I can't say that I'm not looking forward to having the space.

It may not be an option every time, because we only have 160 points at this point. But we'll add on as time goes by so I'm sure the 1BR will become our standard accomodations some day in the future.

wendy*darling
05-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm sure the 1BR will become our standard accomodations some day in the future.
Actually, the 2 bedroom will become your standard in not too many years! ;)
And they are great! So many vacations to look forward to. :mickey:

To the Original Poster- I also suggest buying now over the phone instead of waiting until your next trip. You may even be able to use your points for this summer's trip as well.

TooGoofy
05-27-2007, 02:31 PM
To the Original Poster- I also suggest buying now over the phone instead of waiting until your next trip. You may even be able to use your points for this summer's trip as well.

Thanks for the advice, but I need to wait for July financially. Therefore, we are just going to hope for the best. We can be relatively flexible about our dates.

MdmMim
06-01-2007, 07:09 AM
We aren't picky, a standard view studio is fine!

To the OP: just something to keep in mind for future planning once you're a member ;), the standard view studios are some of the first to book up. They are extremely popular, due to low point requirements.

Hope you'll be joining us soon!

dixielandings
06-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I need to wait for July financially. Therefore, we are just going to hope for the best. We can be relatively flexible about our dates.

We are brand new members ourselves but I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head w/ "flexibility". I doubt we will always be able to get exactly what we want when we want but if the worst case is that when I go to DW I HAVE to stay at SSR b/c that's what's available - I'm okay with that. :blush:

Ian
06-01-2007, 03:45 PM
... but if the worst case is that when I go to DW I HAVE to stay at SSR b/c that's what's available - I'm okay with that. :blush:That's pretty much what we decided, too.

Oh no! Horror of horrors! We might have to stay at SSR!! :eek:

I'm sure we'll live.

Aurora
06-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Now that there are more buildings and more people staying there, Saratoga Springs is becoming much more lively. What I like about it is that, as opposed to the Beach Club or Wilderness villas, there is still lots going on after the parks are closed, because Downtown Disney is right across the water!

I think Saratoga Springs gets a bad rap because of its distance to the Magic Kingdom and because its theming isn't as fantastical. But the rooms are outstanding, the pool is fun, and once the landscaping matures, I think it will have just as loyal of a following as OKW. (Plus you get to be members longer!)

NewmanFamily6
06-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I know everyone seems to be really hip on BCV, BWV, & VWL but we stayed last Dec at SSR for our first visit "home". We were in the Carosel section which was a little bit of a walk to the pools if you have small children. Overall though we thought it was beautiful and the children really loved it too. I would recommend SSR fully and not as a last resort:mickey:

Ian
06-01-2007, 08:03 PM
I think Saratoga Springs gets a bad rap because of its distance to the Magic Kingdom ... It is NOT far from SSR to MK at all. You go out, make a right, go to the dead end and make a left, and you're basically there.

It's as close if not close than other resorts like CBR, Pop, etc.

I agree with you, but I don't get the rap at all. I think people perceive that it's farther away than it really is because it's associated with Downtown Disney.

101pup
06-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I just booked us in the SSR the first week of December. I haven't been to WDW in December so I didn't know that every place was going to fill up so quick. Our home resort is WLV, but I wanted to try something new so I waited. Tried to get into BW and they plus everywhere else was completely booked. SSR was our last resort, but I am going to look at it optimistically and plan on it as being a treat. But I heard that the distance between the building is huge. Any ideas for traveling with an elderly mother-in-law who has just had two knees replaced?

dixielandings
06-05-2007, 05:57 PM
But I heard that the distance between the building is huge. Any ideas for traveling with an elderly mother-in-law who has just had two knees replaced?

I saw an abundance of golf carts when we were there last week. You might call and ask if they ever use those to assist with rides to the bus stops, etc.