PDA

View Full Version : Continental

Cinderelley
05-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Some of you may remember the fiasco my family had last October with our flights on Continental. Well, when three of my kids and I agreed to wait until the next day for our flight (since they had overbooked ours) they gave us $300 vouchers. Fast forward to this trip, money is kind've tight for my friends, so I went against my better judgement and used the vouchers to book with Continental. I booked my ticket. Then yesterday, they were ready to book theirs. Amy's ticket was $50 less than mine even though she is sitting right next to me on the plane. So, I called Continental to see about getting a refund for the $50. I was told that it would cost me $60 to get the refund!!!! Why do I even bother with Continental???

Bruegge
05-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Most airlines charge a fee to "re-ticket" a non-refundable (aka cheap) fare ticket.

Yes, it's true... a $60.00 fee to save $50.00 is dumb...

American charges $100.00/ticket per change.

Delta is $50.00 or $75.00/ticket.

Southwest is the only carrier that I know of that doesn't charge a fee..

BTW... if you switch tickets and save money ... You don't get a cash or credit refund. The money stays in an account in your name as a "credit" for future travel on that airline with an expiration time of one year..

I hate playing the airfare game....

Scott

dra_rosie_k
05-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Call them back...ask to speak with a supervisor and play dumb (make nice). Usually when the price drops they will issue you a credit for the difference (not a refund), but believe it or not you can call three times in half an hour and get three different responses to your question. I travel a ton and have been elite on Continental for years. If I don't like the answer I get, I call back. Many times I have gotten what I wanted by doing this -- there is no guarantee that they will resolve it to your satisfaction, but at least a supervisor should be able to explain it to you.

Also, if you call and it is answered by an out of the country call center (you would know), don't bother to talk to them about your problem. Either get a supervisor or call back until you reach someone in the States. Unfortunately these call center staff members read from a script and if you ask them to do something off script they have difficulties with it. It does not make a difference when you just want to book something, but for a situation like this you will just get more frustrated.

Good luck!

crazypoohbear
05-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Also, if you call and it is answered by an out of the country call center (you would know), don't bother to talk to them about your problem. Either get a supervisor or call back until you reach someone in the States. Unfortunately these call center staff members read from a script and if you ask them to do something off script they have difficulties with it.

God Bless America!!!!
YOU are soo right, when I call I always ask for a supervisor or a "second tier" manager
Keep trying and pour on the sugar.

Cinderelley
05-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not a "pour on the sugar" type of person, but DH is. I'll get him to give it a try. :D

karenrarintogo
05-20-2007, 06:07 PM
United also charges $100 when making a ticket change on a non refundable ticket.
I need to make changes on 2 of our tickets for our Sept. trip yesterday, so I was charged $192(hey, but we "saved" a grand total of $8, since the ticket prices dropped to $246!). At least the ticket person sounded somewhat sympathetic, but no way would she make an exception.
Just for fun, I checked the price of a non refundable ticket and it was $1400. (my ticket was about $250).
So non refundable is obviously not a viable option, either.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

karenrarintogo
05-20-2007, 06:13 PM
OOPs! I meant to say a REFUNDABLE ticket is $1400. Obviously refundable is not the way to go. :(