PDA

View Full Version : Latest Rumor in San Antonio, TX

goofyrocks
05-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Here we go again. Last week a co-worker who owns land in the surrounding area came running to my desk to "let me know" that Disney had purchased 300 acres near her property. She said that her husband who is in real estate found out that Disney, along with Red McCombs, had purchased the land with plans to purchase an adjoining golf course. I explained to her that rumors abound when it comes to Disney and that she would be amazed at how many cities Disney is building a new theme park in. LOL

Now my daughter has come home state that she got in an arguement on the bus with a boy regarding the same purchase. My family are the great defenders of all things Disney. LOL Anyway, I seriously doubt they would build a park in San Antonio on just 300 acres. And I seriously doubt they would purchase the land so publically. Seems like the newspapers would be all over it and they are not.

We were just wondering if anyone else had heard this rumor? Red McCombs promised us an NFL team and we never got that . . If he promises us Disney . . . ROFL

AFDisneyFam
05-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Having just moved from San Antonio, I completely understand your sentiments with regards to Red McCombs. If he would even produce half of what he says he's doing...

As for the land purchase, it's so hard to believe that Disney would be interested in a 300-acre parcel. That hardly seems large enough to do any sort of major theme park.

Keep us updated if you hear anything new!

Ian
05-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Why does everyone assume that, as soon as they hear Disney is buying land, that it has to be for a theme park??

They could be building a new DVC resort (like what they have in Vero Beach or Hilton Head) or it could be a new call center or a data center or a warehouse or just for investment purposes or for any number of other things that have nothing to do with theme parks.

I'm quite certain Disney owns land all over the U.S. and I'm also quite certain that only two of those sites contain theme parks. Probably under 10% of the land Disney owns has a theme park on it.

big blue and hairy
05-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Why does everyone assume that, as soon as they hear Disney is buying land, that it has to be for a theme park??

Exactly....if Disney built a theme park on every parcel of land they owned, they'd have more parks than Six Flags and whoever bough the Paramount parks combined. It's a nice dream to have WDW near your home but it's not going to happen. Also remember how many years it took for WDW to get this big, it would pale in comparison to WDW for years...plus...ain't happenin'...:twocents:

:sulley:

GothMickey
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Here wew go again. Can't we just get an automatic block on these threads for now on? People, listen. Disney doesn't just buy land for the purpose of building a park. And until Disney officially announces a new park, there is not one coming to your back yard. Could it be a DVC? How about Disney purchasing land as an investment option. People, please, stop posting these questions. It isn't happening any time in the forseeable future.

goofyrocks
05-18-2007, 08:55 AM
I agree WDWacky and Big Blue. Disney parks all over America make no sense. I also find it funny that the I always here these things from people who have never been to WDW. In their minds they see Six Flags. They have no idea the scale of a Disney Theme park. They aren't the kind of places you build all over the states.

My coworker is so upset that she is selling her property. They were going to build a home on it but wanted to be in a rural setting, not next to Disney. :confused: I understand wanted a rural setting, but if you were so convinced the Disney was building a theme park, why not hang on to the property and make a bigger profit. It's all so frustrating to listen to them. Oh well, who cares, I'll just keep enjoying our trips to WDW and they can lament all they want.

MickeyandTink
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I'll just keep enjoying our trips to WDW and they can lament all they want.

Some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

Back to the point, though, there are only three Sea World Parks (Orlando, San Diego (only 1 1/2 hours from Anaheim) and San Antonio). Coincidence? San Antonio is already a popluar tourist destination and there are tens of millions of people within a day's drive. It has the infrastructure to handle a Disney Park, along with a pretty good sized airport. It is also about halfway between California and Florida and is warm and sunny most of the year. Lastly, there is still a lot of undeveloped, relatively cheap land nearby.

I agree it's unlikely, but I wouldn't say it will never happen. It's fun to think about anyway.

SBETigg
05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Does anyone recall those Blue Sky plans (or whatever they call plans that are in the potential stage but not at all solid, I'm not a business person- :D ) for building mini-park/resort/entertainment areas? Maybe that's the reason the rumors keep cropping up about Disney buying land all over? It could be that they are and it's potentially for some sort of entertainment complex in the future, or the option to build one in prime locations if they should choose in the far future. It wouldn't be unlike them to make some land purchases for "just in case."

Frog
05-24-2007, 09:25 AM
A large PGA village was planned for the North side of SA not too long ago, and was shot down with public outcry, alot having to do with the Edwards Aquifer the thing was going to be built on... Would things like this keep Disney from even trying?
It would seem to be a great spot IF Disney was interested in building park #3 in the USA. Cheap and plentifull land, Fast Growing area, Great infrastructure, Climate is great, only a couple of hours from the beach, Nice airport, big tourist destination (Dallas, Austin and Houston are only at most 4 hours away) with Schlitterbahn, Sea World and Fiesta Texas all within stones throws of each other. BUT we have to ask why would they? Are the two they have now here in the states so overcrowded that a third is warrented? Are they needing revenue that bad that a large scale investment would pay that big of dividends? I really do not think so...

Cinderelley
06-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Why is everyone being so negative? Although I don't really think they would be building another park, I don't see any reason to react so poorly. My first thought was that Disney is expanding their family vacation packages. The name escapes me for the moment, but they have trips packages to Europe, Yellowstone, etc. Why not have an offering in Texas?

Ian
06-04-2007, 06:43 PM
These "rumors" crop up a few times a month on the boards and, quite honestly, they get tiresome after a point. Most of us are just burned out reading about the hot new spot Disney is building a theme park. That's why people tend to react with finality to these types of posts ... they're tired of discussing/debating why they're not going to come true.

Also, if you read my post, I didn't discount the fact that Disney could be building something in San Antonio. I just discounted that they'd be building a new theme park there.

Although, for the record, I think if Disney ever did decide to build a new domestic theme park it would be somewhere in Texas.

Cinderelley
06-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Although, for the record, I think if Disney ever did decide to build a new domestic theme park it would be somewhere in Texas.

Just curious about why you think it would be in Texas? It seems like somewhere in the middle of the U.S. would make sense, but more in the northern region would make it more accessible to the people in the northern part of the country.

Ian
06-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Too cold up North. I doubt Disney will ever build a true theme park located in the northern part of the country because attendance would be too limited.

One thing they've always looked at is getting as much of a season out of their theme parks as they can.

But basically Texas is centrally located in terms of its East/West orientation, has a good warm climate, and a solid theme park crowd already in place. That's why I think it would be in Texas.

thrillme
06-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I doubt there'll be a DisneyLand (there will only be one DisneyWorld) but Texas right around the San Antonio and Castroville area is the PERECT place.

Our weather remains rather mild throughout the winter. We've got SeaWorld (one of their old and favorite competitors), Six Flags, the LARGEST Schlitterbahn only about 45 minutes away. Our Airport has planned expansion and we are HUNGRY for tourism.

If you go one state up you're subject to lots of tornados...a little further and you're subject to snow.

SIGH...it's logical and perfect all around alas...I won't believe it till the first mouse is planted.

GrumpyFan
06-05-2007, 03:21 PM
As much as I would LOVE to see a Disney park in Texas, San Antonio would GREAT! I seriously doubt we'll ever see one. Truthfully, I think Disney has their hands full with Disneyland and Walt Disney World in the US.

However, what would make sense, IMO, is a large Disney resort, with perhaps a small, themed water park, restaurants and shops. Something similar to the Kemah Boardwalk (south of Houston), but with more attractions. Maybe something like a Disney Quest or ESPN club on premises. A resort like this would make a lot more sense, and goes along with what Jay Rasulo talked about earlier this year when he said they wanted to "broaden our footprint" within the continental United States.

drummerboy
06-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Too cold up North. I doubt Disney will ever build a true theme park located in the northern part of the country because attendance would be too limited.

Ian, I think you're probably right, but isn't the Tokyo park in a snow-prone area?

In general, I believe the OP was simply stating something that others had said and not trying to say a Disney Park was coming to San Antonio.

There's a simple solution for anyone who is tired of arguing about these rumors: Take a deep breath, resist the urge to tell someone they have to be wrong, and Ignore the thread .

Ian
06-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Ian, I think you're probably right, but isn't the Tokyo park in a snow-prone area?You may be right, although they may not have had much of a choice.

Japan is pretty densely populated, so their choice of locales was probably very limited. If they wanted a theme park located in Japan, my guess is they had to make due with what they could get.

As it is, they had to enclose Main Street USA to protect guests from the bad weather. I'm not sure they'd want to go that route again. Also, remember TDL is mostly run by OLC, not Disney.

Cinderelley
06-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Too cold up North.

I didn't think of that. Being from Phoenix, the only snow I see is when they truck it in for kids' events.:blush:

magicofdisney
06-06-2007, 08:42 AM
There's a simple solution for anyone who is tired of arguing about these rumors: Take a deep breath, resist the urge to tell someone they have to be wrong, and Ignore the thread .
:thumbsup:That's probably the best advice to come out of this thread.:mickey:

Tinkerfreak
06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
My cousin called me a few days ago and they were building a park in Branson, Missouri not far from her. She said she saw it on the news and that they were just waiting for permits. I told her that they might have bought some land there for something but that a new park was unlikely. She said she didn't even think about the fact that it might be land being used for something else.

Scar
06-06-2007, 01:56 PM
My cousin called me a few days ago and they were building a park in Branson, Missouri not far from her. She said she saw it on the news and that they were just waiting for permits. I told her that they might have bought some land there for something but that a new park was unlikely. She said she didn't even think about the fact that it might be land being used for something else.
Disney is not doing anything in Missouri.

See this post. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=102685)

Kurtoon
06-07-2007, 12:11 AM
The rumer come up again today on the radio....FLASH NEWS REPORT...
Disney is buying land on the west side of San Antonio near Sea World... no wait... on the east side... and is asking H.B.Zachary for infrastructure bids...
nevermind I'm going to WDW in November

much mouse