PDA

View Full Version : OKW cleanliness?

VAdizneefan
05-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I booked a stay at OKW (my home is SSR) for late November. I was reading reviews of OKW and am impressed that most people think it is a great and relaxing place to stay. I was a little put-off by reviews on another site that seem to indicate that there are cleanliness issues from time to time at this resort. Has anyone noticed that and if so, with what frequency? I know people tend to only review when they are either very pleased or very displeased with something so I think I'm probably reading the crop of rare bad experiences. If the room was dirty (in any fashion) wouldn't the best approach just be to call the front desk and ask to be moved?

Sorry for the long post. You're comments/thoughts are needed! :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
05-17-2007, 07:59 PM
We've stayed at OKW numerous times.
Never have we experienced a room that wasn't clean - and the grounds are immaculate.

The cleanliness to us has always been excellent. I'm sure that there have been exceptions that certain individuals may have experienced, but I feel that that's the exception rather than the rule. :mickey:

Sharon1026
05-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi there,
We stayed at OKW last week. Grounds were great.

Our room was clean, however, the bathroom was quite "dated" with the grout and tile.

The edge of the tile where the floor meets the wall had black mold and there was black mold on the shower curtain. ICK!

The rest of the room was fine.

As I said, this was our one and only experience with OKW. Mal's dad has stayed there quite a few times and had no problems.

I would have requested a room change, but we were only there for a night and were too pooped out to move our stuff.

Fortgoofy97
05-18-2007, 12:51 PM
We have stayed at OKW several times. We have never had a problem with the cleanliness of the room. The only problem that we had was with the small deck on a studio once. Seems they must have sprayed for ants but did not clean up the dead ants. My wife asked to be moved and they obliged after a little discussion! Other than that always clean both in the room and the grounds!

pox24
05-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Although its the oldest of the DVC resorts, you would swear it was built yesterday.

VAdizneefan
05-18-2007, 03:44 PM
This is all good news and what I was thinking the case would be. Disney always keeps everything looking immaculate in my opinion!

pamlvt
05-18-2007, 11:14 PM
We've been members of the DVC for about 15 years (I think) and have only ever stayed at OKW. We have never found our vacation home to be anything but pristine.
The grounds are so perfectly groomed that we're amazed at how they work their "magic". As always, there are those who can never be pleased. On that scale our family tends to be closer to having our glass "half-full" rather than "half empty" after all aren't we all extremely lucky? Some families are never able to vacation in the great Magic Kingdom even once.
We should appreciate our good fortune and be glad we can afford something more than the Roach Motel.

Sorry I got on my soap-box :blush:

vizsla
05-19-2007, 06:47 AM
We have stayed at OKW several times now and have never experienced any problems at all. The rooms were clean, all the aplliances functioned properly and the grounds throughout the resort were well maintained.

Sharon1026
05-20-2007, 05:35 PM
We've been members of the DVC for about 15 years (I think) and have only ever stayed at OKW. We have never found our vacation home to be anything but pristine.
The grounds are so perfectly groomed that we're amazed at how they work their "magic". As always, there are those who can never be pleased. On that scale our family tends to be closer to having our glass "half-full" rather than "half empty" after all aren't we all extremely lucky? Some families are never able to vacation in the great Magic Kingdom even once.
We should appreciate our good fortune and be glad we can afford something more than the Roach Motel.

Sorry I got on my soap-box :blush:

Since I was the only "negative" poster in this thread, I am guessing that you post was directed towards me. It isn't that I can "never be pleased", it's just that black mold on the tile and shower curtain is unacceptable to me. Perhaps mold doesn't/wouldn't bother you. :confused:

The original poster wanted an opinion on OKW, and I gave an honest answer about my one and only experience and also prefaced my answer with the information that it was our only stay at OKW. I am glad that others have stayed there multiple times without incident.

We also had dirty glasses and coffee cups in our cupboards. You may see the glass as "half full", I saw the glass half full with gunk floating in it. Literally. Don't confuse honest feedback with negativity.

dlpmikki
05-21-2007, 03:02 AM
I have stayed at OKW numerous times over the last 15 years. Has every stay been perfect? No. Things like the black on some of the older shower edges I think is impossible not to happen somewhere like Florida so as long as it is just on the edges I don't mind. Dirty crockery (had that once) I do mind and think is unacceptable. OK so all I do is put it in the dishwasher provided but it shouldn't happen.

I do stay in other resorts as well and I think OKW compares just fine to them.

ElenitaB
05-21-2007, 09:26 AM
We've stayed at OKW several times and it really is one of my favorite DVC resorts. While uncleanliness was not our issue our last visit, we did have an issue with appliances that didn't work correctly. First thing was the coffee maker which was promptly replaced. Than it was the internet hub in the room. That took 2 days to resolve (which was, unfortunately an issue for me as I had work to turn in). Then it was the vacuum cleaner which a friend's husband ending up fixing for us.

Occasionally, the resort (like any resort) will show its age, but on the whole, we really enjoy our stays there!