PDA

View Full Version : Any gardners out there???

Terra
05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
So I'm thinking of growing a super small garden in my back yard...[basically it will be a 5x5 size...so just a couple of heads of lettuce, some carrots, green beans...

I of course live in Central Florida...

Can I grow it about anytime since it doesn't get super cold, esepcially now that it's May...

So are there any avid gardners that know about farming in central Florida...

What can you educate me on???????
:) Thanks!!

MsMin
05-17-2007, 10:42 AM
I have two box gardens that are 6x12. I grow tomatoes, several varieties of peppers including bell pepper, parsley, herbs, okra, asparagus and my sister gave me a load of broccoli but it's not great in our climate. I also have several fruit trees, lemons, manderines, satsumas, limes and figs. I planted some raspberries but they are young yet.
I haven't had luck with squash, (I had to fertilize the flowers myself) corn (it bore but didn't look edible), and beans ( didn't have enough at once to cook). I don't know if was because last summer was so dry because my tomatoes didn't do so well either.
While I am more west and have different soil my climate is closer to yours than NYC :D
I'm not sure about your soil, Florida soil seems so sandy to me and must drain pretty rapidly.
I don't consider myself and expert but this is my third year and even my gardener was impressed with my garden the first year w/o the drought.
I've already got tomatoes that are ready to pick. The kids love cherry tomatoes so I plant several of them. If nothing else grows I have plenty of limes and lemons for :marg: lemonade and key lime pie.
So where are you with your planting?? What questions do you have? I add fresh soil in my box every year and I added the moisture control soil in hopes to help keep my tomatoes from drying up this year. I use sevin dust for bugs and feed them regularly.

Terra
05-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks!!

I'm going to probably do a box too so I don't have to mess up the yard...lol...
Since it's a triplex we live in...

I make my own baby food and would actually love to grow the food more organically and then make it....

So I want to do carrots, green beans, tomatos, lettuce, corn, peppers, onions....

I can buy the soil in big bags...so I think that should be good...

MsMin
05-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I forgot I have onions too. Organic can be tough with the bugs we have down here. I know marigolds and garlic help keep away some pests. Oh I also have grapes and have trouble keeping the birds away but I bought a net for them for this year. I suggest going to WDW and going through the behind the seeds tour :D (any excuse for a trip to WDW) Let me know how it's coming along.

FriendsofMickey
05-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I am no where near Florida, but really enjoying gardening... small hobby, but not the best at weeding.

Since you mentioned organic and box, I wanted to mention a company named GardensAlive (that is their site name also). They are organic and they offer a garden kit (with or without seeds). The kit includes everything except the lumber and the topsoil. I have never used it but was tempted. Last year I requested their catalog and the sent me a spend $20 get $20 coupon, so if you go their site and like what you see. I would suggest asking about such a coupon, who knows they may give you the price break. The kit is $60 without seeds and $75 with seeds.

I am a huge fan of raised beds! They are so much easier to work with. :)

I have a book called The Vegetable Gardner's BIBLE by Edward C. Smith. It is full of helpful information on what to plant when and with what. Definately worth the money IMO.

Good Luck and enjoy the fresh veggies! :)

murphy1
05-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Terra! (I'll be down there next week so hope to see you in LW!!) My sister in St. Pete has an awesome green thumb and has grown tomatoes, peppers, I believe lettuce, etc. I will talk to her while I'm there about it. I know she says the soil and watering correctly are her biggest goals to growing these things. I am impressed about how you make your own baby food, David is lucky!

Shari (PS I just got a new cell and have to charge it so I will give you the # when I get it hooked up!)

Terra
05-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Yay!!! I can't believe you'll be here already!!

Yeah, just PM me the number!!

I'm getting my annual Disney Pass this Saturday actually!! I'm so excited!!!