PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans ?s

rnin02
05-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Hey there! We are trying to decide where to stay for our September vacation. We've stayed at CBR twice and really love it, but we are thinking its time for something new.

So, I have a couple of questions for you guys...
1. Is it true that POR has a number of small pools and POFQ has one big pool? Can you go to both pools?

2. There is boat transport just to DTD, right?
3. They share a bus, and one sit down restaurant, from what I can tell, is that true?

Any reason you have to pick one over the other??

Thanks!

Darbylew
05-16-2007, 11:39 PM
POR and POFQ both share the buses and the
boat to DTD. It is a nice walk between the two
resorts. Yes, POR has several pools and POFQ
only has one pool and you can go to both pools
as far as I know. POR has the only sit down
restaurant. POR is spread out and is much
bigger than POFQ. They are both very nice. I
know that POR has just had a rehab on there
food court. I hope this has helped you. We do
love POFQ because of it being smaller. :D

Olga
05-17-2007, 06:58 AM
We also vote for the "smaller" POFQ, but both of them are very nice.

mook3y
05-17-2007, 08:27 AM
We have stayed at both POR and POFQ and liked them both.

My wife and I both like POR a little better. But when we stayed at POR, we were in building 14 which is very close to the bus stop, food court and the main pool.

However our children both toddlers LOVED the pool and slide at POFQ. This past year, while staying at POFQ, we swam in the afternoon, every day. (they have goofy bingo there in the afternoon too). Had we of not been staying right by the pool, not sure that we would have gone as often.

Both food courts are very similar in what they offer. The Beignettes at POFQ are very yummy!

The boat ride to DTD is very nice, we have enjoyed taking that a couple times each trip. Much better than taking the bus.

They do not always share a bus. In two stays, a total of 19 days (september) I would say they shared busses between the resorts less than 1/4 of the time we ever used the buses.

There is a Piano player in the evenings at POR in the lounge that is great. Very entertaining.

We love Port Orleans and think you will be happy with either resort.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Port Orleans is a great resort.

We stayed at POR for our honeymoon, near the main building and loved it! We were quite a way from the main pool, but had a quiet pool (no slide) right behind the building. It wasn't every busy, and it cooled us off well in the afternoon. Boatwrights (the sit-down restaurant at POR) was yummy for breakfast one morning, but the rest of the time we just grabbed a snack in the room, so it didn't really matter. We ate dinner from the food court one night, and it was yummy too!

We stayed at POFQ for our anniversary, and although POR was nice, POFQ was AWESOME! We loved how small it was, we were close to everything. The pool was great, the food court was never busy and the food was more than fine.

They share a boat to DTD, and it is a nice ride. It can be hard to get a seat when you're getting on a FQ, as it stops at Riverside first. As for the buses, they pick up at FQ first when they are shared, but they didn't always continue on to Riverside. At night, FQ is the first stop when the bus is shared.

You would be happy at either one, but we are planning to go back to FQ next year.

garymacd
05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
POFQ has a dedicated bus to MK. Most other buses are shared between the two resorts. After 4 pm, the DTD bus acts as an internal shuttle, but the entire resort is small enough that you can walk just about anywhere in about 10 minutes.

We have stayed at both resorts and liked both, but prefer FQ for its size - and beignets! Actually, you can get them at both resorts. FQ is more intimate which is good if you have any kind of mobility problems. Only one bus stop, right out front and a very short walk to it. The real bonus is that all buses come to FQ before going onto Riverside, so you usually get a seat on every bus.

FQ also has a musician most evenings who plays jazz for all to enjoy.

Wherever you stay you will enjoy yourself. It is Disney, after all.

Six days to go....

mook3y
05-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Six days to go....

Have a GREAT Anniversary! Congratulations on 25 years! :thumbsup:

disneycharm
05-17-2007, 03:17 PM
POR is now my favorite DW Resort. The meals at the foodcourt were delicious and a very scenic walk from our room. The grounds were beautiful, soothing and our room overlooked the river. There was a small pool and the main pool (with a slide) was not far from our room where my 9 year old was able to go by himself. He still talks about the big water wheel by the foodcourt. The boat to DTD was also lovely and we enjoyed the carraige ride at dusk around both resorts with all the street lights on. It's like stepping back in time.....very relaxing. I can't wait to go back next year. You can't go wrong with this Resort:number1:

disney100%
05-17-2007, 03:23 PM
My DH and I love POR. We are already planning on staying there in February. We love the boat ride to DtD, the food court and the gift shop. Our favorite building is Magnolia Terrace. Our son was 14 months on our last trip and we took full advantage of the quiet pool, which was never busy. I felt very comfortable taking him there because we usually had it to ourselves. He also liked the ducks and bunnies we saw everywhere.

It's funny because CBR used to be our favorite. On one vacation we decided to try something new, which was POR. It is the only moderate we stay at now. Probably when our son is older we will go back to CBR, but for now, we enjoy the atmosphere of POR a little bit better!

Nicki'sMom
05-17-2007, 03:34 PM
We stayed at POR Spet. 06 and enjoyed it very much. We stayed in Acadia House and it was just across the river over the footbridge from the pool. Beautiful grounds and comfortable rooms. We also really liked the position of the resort in the "World". It wasn't too far from anything. Food court was just OK foodwise but it IS just a food court. Buses were accessible and only waited one day for 15-20 minutes. That was not the norm. Boat to DTD was nice but very loud motor so sit up front. I would definately stay here again.

tink2006
05-17-2007, 06:29 PM
We have stayed at both several times. Our favorite is POR.
1) POR does have one main pool and 5 (I think) quiet pools. POFQ has one main pool. The slide at POFQ seems to be better than at POR. However, if you stay at POR you can take the boat (or walk) to the french quarter and enjoy the pool. We have done this several times.
2) Yes, there is a boat for DTD. You can take this by the marina in POR. For POFQ, it is next to the pool.
3) Yes, they share buses but we have never waited very long for a bus. They do get full towards the end of the day so you might have to stand. However, in September you probably do not have to worry too much about this. POR does have a sit down rest., Boatwrights. POR also has a piano bar. Both are very good.

Either resort would be great! If you pick POR make sure to look at a map for room location. It is bigger than POFQ but smaller than CBR. We have stayed at CBR a couple of times and thought that it was too big and spread out for us.

sainter
05-17-2007, 11:38 PM
We have stayed at POR several times. The last visit was in March. The food court re-opened while we were there. They now offer pasta dishes, omlets and salads ALL made to order. The pasta was yummy!!

It is generally known that POR and POFQ share busses and that seems to be true at times, but not all of the time! In fact, I paid close attention on this last trip and not only did they sometimes not share, but sometimes POR was picked up first and other times, POR was even dropped off first! All in all, the only time it was an issue was at the end of a day anyway.

Both POR and POFQ each have a main pool and POR also has several smaller pools. They both have a food court and game room. POR has Boatwrights - great for a nicer breakfast!

I think you can't go wrong with either of these resorts!!

mermaidmarian
05-18-2007, 06:08 AM
I think both resorts are winners, but POR is our favorite.

Regarding the themed pool - FQ's is much more colorful with its Carnivale theme and Dragon slide, but Riverside's Ole' Man Island works the swimming hole thing pretty well and has two slides (from a treehouse!) that the kids and kids at heart really enjoy. There is also a very good sized playground right behind the pool and you can fish "catch & release" at the Ole'Man Island fishing hole. I have been told that you can also join in campfires - seasonally - I have never been during campfire season however, but other Intercotees have.

While I have heard people say that it is sprawling and requires a lot of walking, this is not a drawback for me and I think the grounds are just gorgeous and very peaceful and I enjoy the walking.

I have not had an issue with the shared bus arrangement; although we always elect to go to the main bus stop to await transportation - I don't know whether you can expect a seat on a bus when you are waiting at the last stop of 6 at such a large resort. Since I rarely, if ever, see anyone waiting at one of the farther bus stops, perhaps many people use this logic as well.

In a recent other thread I commented on the very pleasant changes in the Food Court at POR which I noted during our recent visit. I like the Food Court at POR hands down over the one at FQ; it offers better variety of choices.

Here's a thought if you are torn - we always request to stay in the Mansions section at POR. Preferrably in Partierre Place. That puts us pretty close to FQ - about a 7 minute brisk walk along the Sassagoula River. Easy enough to enjoy both properties!

Have fun!

garymacd
05-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Have a GREAT Anniversary! Congratulations on 25 years! :thumbsup:

Thanks! We're going back in 5 days, 3 hours and 30 minutes for our 26th! Do you think we are in a rut? We are going to NYC by train after we leave WL. Does that qualify as breaking out a rut?