PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Question

moe513
05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I just booked some flights but I know they will be discounting them at some point but I didnt want to wait and miss out of the ones we wanted. My question is, is there any rhyme or reason to when they might have a special. I was unable to down load the DING on my computer. I really dont even know what the DING is but I dont have it. Thanks

Fortgoofy97
05-16-2007, 01:42 PM
If you want to catch a special fare from Southwest - you will need DING. DING is a live update from Southwest anytime they are offering special fares. You can set your profile to send specials only for the cities you are interested in. An ex. today they have specials for June and July from Orlando to Hartford, Indy, and Providence(could be more) from 44-49 one way. These special prices ONLY come up through DING and ONLY for a certain period of time, 1 HR to all day. If you book a fare through DING and then need to make a change - you have to cancel the whole reservation. This can cause problems if you try to rebook thru DING and there are not enough seats at the special price. Yes they do limit the number of seats at the special prices. I think they are having a problem with the DING download or made a change to the download - because I tried to download to a new computer the other day and it would not accept it! But if you want to try and snag a special fare, you will need DING!! Works great, once you have it, and no there is no set time frame for special to pop. Though you do notice things after watching it for awhile!

disneyfan328
05-16-2007, 02:00 PM
i am waiting on the same thing. we are traveling in Sept. and fares are not the greatest now. We do have ding, but noticied some issues with it lately? Anyone know what might be the cause? It is there, then it isn't. We are also weighing out buying at the price they are offered now and then getting a credit for the return flight so that we at least get the flight times we want for the way down. From what I hear and have read, DING is the best way to get the specials.

moe513
05-16-2007, 03:33 PM
I am still confused,because I dont want to lose what I have by trying to get the DING. What goofy from RI said made me nervous.We are for the first time trying to travel on the weekend and those flights go fast.....

SallyfromDE
05-16-2007, 04:05 PM
You can keep an eye out on the website. I've noticed that the fare has changed twice since i bought my ticket. I only purchased down, I figured if there was a change, I could use the difference to my flight back. And I wasn't as concerned with the return time, I was with going down. I had to load Ding a few times before I could actually use it. Did you check thier requirements? You computer may not be on par with that? Just a thought.

momofdisneyprincess
05-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I just had an experience about 15 minutes ago with this with flights from Providence to Orlando. I booked my flight home from Orlando a few days ago because they had an internet fare of $99. However, that fare was not valid my flight down - that was $170 one way. I just looked today and there is a discount fare of $99 if I booked as a round trip. Else, it was still $170. With the price of gas I didn't want to chance losing out on the price and my time choices. I went ahead and cancelled that first flight and had the credit of $328 applied to my new reservation (since the total money due increased) which included both flights. Luckily, I was able to get 3 seats. My heart was racing the whole time though. Keep checking, the prices were higher this morning. They offer discounted fares other than DING as well. If I do this again when the fares go down I would have to apply the credit to future travel within 12 months of the booking date. In any case, I have direct non-stop flights which I am psyched about! :thumbsup:

mousetrapper
05-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Just a note about those credit funds...

I just found out that I lost more than $200 in credit from airfare I booked last year. I thought I had one year to use the funds -- but it's one year from the date of purchase, not the date of travel.

Also, in terms of booking future flights: The SW site says that they'll open up booking for flights through Jan. 16, 2008 on June 28, and that that date is subject to change so it's important to check back frequently.

I am waiting to book Nov. flights to WDW and will start checking the week of June 24....

BIGDOG
05-16-2007, 11:43 PM
if you wait southwest will have 49.00 prov to orlando for september. Cgeck their website every tuesday morning for new specials

cperry92380
05-17-2007, 11:47 AM
I have a credit for SW that needs to be used by 9-6-07, although we don't plan to be back until 01/08. I called SW abou this and they gave me another number to call about having credits/refunds extended.
I talked with this new dept and she is sending me paperwork to request that the deadline be extended, she said they can extend credits for up to 6 months after the original 12 is up.

momofdisneyprincess
05-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks cperry. That's a great tip!:thumbsup:

KAT1811
05-18-2007, 10:38 PM
if you wait southwest will have 49.00 prov to orlando for september. Cgeck their website every tuesday morning for new specials

I am hoping so. We usually get great rates with SW but I was VERY disappointed when I looked at the fares for our upcoming trip. Why so expensive now? I'm going to roll the dice a little longer and hope that the fares drop for our trip.

sleepingbooty
05-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I am hoping so. We usually get great rates with SW but I was VERY disappointed when I looked at the fares for our upcoming trip. Why so expensive now? I'm going to roll the dice a little longer and hope that the fares drop for our trip.

I'm really frustrated too. I check several times a day (and everytime a ding comes up). I don't expect and Dings to come up yet for the timeframe we're going (late september) - but I dont' understand why the internet rate is so high - 174 each way!!! If it doesn't drop by early June I'm going to start freaking out!

KAT1811
05-20-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm really frustrated too. I check several times a day (and everytime a ding comes up). I don't expect and Dings to come up yet for the timeframe we're going (late september) - but I dont' understand why the internet rate is so high - 174 each way!!! If it doesn't drop by early June I'm going to start freaking out!

Glad I'm not alone. I did an industry analysis on SW in my final college years and have been raving about there business ways. They really are in touch with their employees and the community. Lately I find myself being disappointed. SO much more expensive than they have ever been!!!

disneyfan328
05-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Just so you all know, I started a new thread on this today as I found that Southwest released some specials. check it out under vacation planning - southwest specials. I don't know what all cities its for ect, but we got a great deal NS and great times, so I am finally at ease (at least a little) Now just the fun planning part. 124 more days!!!! Check out the fares today who knows what cities they are for, and it wasn't a ding special so I don't know how long they will be around. Good Luck!!!:thumbsup:

KAT1811
05-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Just so you all know, I started a new thread on this today as I found that Southwest released some specials. check it out under vacation planning - southwest specials. I don't know what all cities its for ect, but we got a great deal NS and great times, so I am finally at ease (at least a little) Now just the fun planning part. 124 more days!!!! Check out the fares today who knows what cities they are for, and it wasn't a ding special so I don't know how long they will be around. Good Luck!!!:thumbsup:

Thank you but I just checked again and nothing new yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Crow
05-21-2007, 10:36 PM
i know it was mentioned about Tuesday releases for specials, so ill wait to check in the morning before work

lilmattie13
05-28-2007, 10:59 PM
I am so upset.
I have been checking sw for rates to see if they would drop lower than the $99 one way.

Instead what I found was they took that fare away totally. It is gone completely. It was listed under internet fare.

I am so hoping that they decide to do some kind of special rate from Providence to Orlando or I am going to pay a small fortune as there are five of us going.

IF anyone sees any specials for Sept please let me know if you can. We are going from th 12th through the 18th.

Boy I hope luck comes my way.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-29-2007, 12:17 AM
I am so upset.
I have been checking sw for rates to see if they would drop lower than the $99 one way.

Instead what I found was they took that fare away totally. It is gone completely. It was listed under internet fare.

I am so hoping that they decide to do some kind of special rate from Providence to Orlando or I am going to pay a small fortune as there are five of us going.

IF anyone sees any specials for Sept please let me know if you can. We are going from th 12th through the 18th.

We are watching for our family of 5 from LI too. We are going the 14th-22nd of September. We got airfare last September from SW for $54 each person, each way ($108 pp) in early July. I was hoping not to have to wait that long again this year. :(

Fingers crossed here too!!

kakn7294
05-29-2007, 01:51 AM
I've been watching SW airfares for well over a year now and I have noticed that they often take away and then relist the "Internet" fares. If it's gone now, it will more than likely come back, especially if the trip isn't until Sept. Keep checking - it paid off for me!

TooGoofy
05-29-2007, 06:07 AM
Keep an eye on fare sales, too.

When I first bought my tickets, they were very expensive (for Southwest, anyway...)

In early May, they ran a fare sale, and I was able to get the non stop flights I wanted for $99.00 each way.

Now they are running another fare sale, and I changed my flights and got them for $45.00 each way! That is two round trip tickets, non-stop for a total of $216.60!

I also ended up with $450.00 worth of credit on Southwest, enough to easily pay for our next trip (which will hopefully be in December. If not, we will get the extension).

It pays to keep checking their website, and Southwest makes changing flights very easy to do!

KAT1811
05-29-2007, 08:10 AM
I am so upset.

Maybe we'll be on the same flight!!!! We are also leaving on the 12th of September and there are four (ticketed passengers our 7 month old won't need a ticket) in my family as well as my parents and our cousins are coming for a grand total of 9 of us flying out on the 12th. I also keep checking the flights and am SO amazed that the fares keep going up and not down. We also paid the $49 - $59 each way fare in September and I refuse to pay what they are asking right now ($160 EACH way!!!) It will cost me about $1365.00 for our family of five (remember one of us isn't ticketed) As of right now I can fly direct out of Boston on Jet Blue and save $500 although I don't want to have to drive the hour to get there. I always rave about SW but am getting increasingly upset with them.

lilmattie13
05-29-2007, 09:21 AM
KAT1811 that is too funny. We live in MA but are pretty much right on the RI border so it makes more sense for us to fly out of Green.

It is just so much easier than driving to Boston.

We are paying for five of us this trip as my youngest will just be turning two.

I held off not purchasing the $99 one way because I kept hearing of amazing deals, but now I am wondering if I made a mistake.

Oh well I guess I will now have to wait it out. I looked but no ding this morning lol

We always look for the earliest flight out and the last one back so maybe we will see you guys if your on the flight. Keep in touch and if I see anything I will let you know too.

Good luck:)

KAT1811
05-29-2007, 10:00 AM
KAT1811 that is too funny. We live in MA but are pretty much right on the RI border so it makes more sense for us to fly out of Green.

It is just so much easier than driving to Boston.

We are paying for five of us this trip as my youngest will just be turning two.

I held off not purchasing the $99 one way because I kept hearing of amazing deals, but now I am wondering if I made a mistake.

Oh well I guess I will now have to wait it out. I looked but no ding this morning lol

We always look for the earliest flight out and the last one back so maybe we will see you guys if your on the flight. Keep in touch and if I see anything I will let you know too.

Good luck:)

It truly is a small world after all!!! We are looking at the 8:15 nonstop out of Providence. I figure that I can handle being at the airport at 6:45/7:00 better than dragging everyone there for the 7:10 flight, 5:45/6:00 is just WAY too early for us!!! We are staying until the 23rd and try to get the latest flight possible out. It looks like we'll take the 6:30 flight home and get in around 9:15 I think anything later will be pushing it after almost 2 weeks in WDW. Our children are 10, 2 1/2, and 7 months. I'll keep my eye open and let you know if I see anything. I keep checking DING and nothing yet!

BigRedDad
05-29-2007, 10:34 AM
People, you are stressing way too much about airfare. SouthWest usually does not discount tickets/seats that are more than 60 days out. The larger discounts come out 30-45 days out.

If you are too worried about booking flights that late, book them for the higher amount. Then, you can do the credit return. If all else fails and flights don't go down, drive there. Driving is still cheaper than flying.

Recommendations:
#1 Get DING installed
#2 Don't stress about flight cost if you are not willing to wait until 30-45 days out.
#3 Watch other airline rates.

lilmattie13
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Ok so I am going to take the previous writers advice and just chill about the prices of airfare for now.

However I now have another question because I took yet another look at SW website and found that not only did they take away the internet special fares but it also looks like they took away a whole bunch of flights as well.

Is this some kind of sales tactic that they do?
Does anyone know?

I know there were other flights returning other than 10 am being the latest one out.

Has anyone seen this in the past from SW or is this something new?

:confused:

May524
05-30-2007, 05:24 PM
People, you are stressing way too much about airfare. SouthWest usually does not discount tickets/seats that are more than 60 days out. The larger discounts come out 30-45 days out.

If you see a cheaper flight BOOK it!! I have had my eyes peeled for September and a 59 one way was released, and the next day it was gone...poof back up to 96!
I booked our flight for this week back in February and the only available rate was 137...and I've checked EVERY day since...and no drop in prices, the flights are actually sold out. So if you see a flight then book it, b/c seems like when it's gone...it's gone!

momofdisneyprincess
06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure if the various posters are still reading this thread but the $99 internet fares are now back!

KAT1811
06-06-2007, 01:05 PM
I too noticed the fares back at $99. I'm going to hold our a little longer and see if I can't get that fabulous $49-$59 fare. Keeping my fingers crossed. Whatever happens happens if I have to pay a little more whatever I still think the fares will come down more.

r4kids
06-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I had this happen with United. We have a $300 credit with them. I saw the sale fare in April at $83, the lowest it's been. I waited a couple days to make sure we could spend the money and boom back to $99 each way so I waited and waited and waited :wait:, last night I booked our tickets for $79.40 each person, one way from MCO to Dulles airport. With our credit we only spent $176.40 for the 6 of us.:woohoo:WOOOHOOO, I also say SW which we will fly down, was $29 oneway in April for travel through June 30. We go in Sept. and are hoping they are $29 again. They are $49 right now.

Lorraine444
06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Gee,
From reading all these postings Southwest has tons of customers and seem to be able to get away with doing whatever they want with pricing.
I too pd 110.00 per person per way without tax.
A total of 758.00 for 3 of us round trip. I saw the 99.00 today, but it was only available on the return flight. I made the adjustment anyway and now have a 60.00 credit. Keeping my eyes open for more adjustments.
Guess I'm doing another trip somewhere within a year, hmmmm where should I go?

lilmattie13
06-07-2007, 10:41 PM
I too am holding out lol

Nice to see they put the $99 one ways back up but I am so hoping they drop more than that.

We are going in Sept from Providence. I noticed though, that when the ding goes off, you usually are locked into certain flights.
I am hoping if the ding does go off for Sept it allows us to do the flights we really want.

Oh well, we will just have to wait and see.