PDA

View Full Version : Rides Size (Weight) Question

Fennell417
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone! I did check the archive first. Neither DH or I are under 250, and we are going to WDW with my DS, 3. I was curious about problems I may encounter fitting on rides. I saw from the archives not to worry about the adult rides, but what about the kiddie rides. My DS wants to do the barnstormer, and will Dumbo rise if I can get on, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CM~Mserrano
05-16-2007, 02:35 PM
You shouldn't have any problems fitting in any of the rides although it really depends on where the weight rests on you. The most problems I've ever noticed though are the turnstyles in MK, for a lot of attractions they are very small. Usually there is a wheelchair entrance close by and a CM is more than happy to let you through there if they are uncomfortable for you to go through. You shouldn't have any problems with barnstormer or dumbo, although the tree of you may not be able to ride in the same car together. It may have to be one adult and one child and then swick adults on the different rides. Usually, the CMs will tell you how many per row, but if it isn't comfortable for you, you can request more rows. Hope this helps!

Strmchsr
05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
I think you should be fine. I'm almost 6'5 and 295 lbs and, though it was a slight bit of a squeeze, I was able to do Barnstormer and Dumbo with little trouble. My height was a bigger problem than weight. That's what I discovered on almost every Disney ride.

kakn7294
05-16-2007, 04:18 PM
:welcome: to Intercot! I totally understand your concern - been there, done that! I've been to WDW when I've been at my largest - 5' 5" and 275 lbs wearing women's size 26 pants. I've had very little problem on any rides, including Barnstormer and Dumbo. The only problem that I can see is that you won't all fit into a single car on many rides, but you can solve this by one adult taking DS and the other adult riding alone. The turnstiles are small in some locations, but they have been phasing these out over the past few years, either making them larger or taking them out all-together. I've found that by turning on a slant, I get right through unless the fanny pack (yes, I wear a fanny pack!) gets caught. Have a great trip!

bratmaster
05-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately, I win. My husband actually, He is about 450lbs. Did not have any problems with any disney rides. They would not let him on mummy at universal, that was the only problem with a ride. (I am 128 lbs., byw.:mickey: )

BritCody
05-17-2007, 07:23 AM
When we went last year I was at the 450lb mark and I am 6'5". Since then I have lost 120lbs and am looking forward to our next trip because I am always nervous that they might have changed something on a ride and I would not fit. Too answer your question I rode everything last year and I have to agree with the other post that my height and long legs were more of an issue than my weight. Barstormer was tight and Dumbo was no problem. My really only problem ride was Small World. It was brutal on my knees as they smashed against the seat in front of me the entire time.

Willowwind
05-17-2007, 07:41 AM
I agree with everyone else. I'm a women's size 26 at about 275 and I've never had a problem going on anything with my kids.

Have fun!:mickey:

Seems to me there's some guide out there that covers WDW "at large".

snowflakegirl
05-17-2007, 11:40 AM
My DH and I went for his first time in 2004 for our Disneymoon. He is not a small man (400ish and 6'2'') and his biggest concern was that he wouldn't be able to fit on the rides. The summer before we got married (we got married in January) we went with some friends to a theme park here in New England. DH is not a rollercoaster guy so there were few rides that he particularly liked. We found one water ride simillar in ride style to Kali in AK that he really enjoyed. We rode it once and it was a little tight, but he got the belt to buckle and then went back to ride it again. This time it didn't work nearly as smoothly and the staff person working the ride rather rudely told DH to get off the ride because he wouldn't fit (and did so loudly enough that the other people loading could hear everything). I think DH was scared we were going to have a repeat of that event on our honeymoon even though I told him that it wasn't likely and the Disney CM's would probably handle it a little more tactfully if it did.

I'll PM you a link for some advice that really helped ease his mind, and I will tell you that he never had any real trouble due to his weight. On a couple of the "belted" rides, he would pull it all the way out as he slid into the seat and then buckle it and let it tighten back up. Other than that, as others have mentioned already, the only problem DH found was that his legs got a little scrunched on some of the rides ... he felt like Dinosaur in particular scrunched his knees into the back of the seat in front of us.

Hope that helps some. Enjoy your trip!!!

scooterca42
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Disney is far more friendly to those of us "Pooh sized":pooh: folk than most other amusement parks. DH is 6'4" and was about 370 last time, I am 5'6" and was about 270, had no problems with anything. Looking forward to it even more now we've each lost over 50 lbs :clappy:

1) If it's a seatbelt, pull it out BEFORE you sit down, and pull it all the way.

2) Height is more of an issue - if you have long legs or torso be ready to scrunch.

Actually, that brings up a question I had - DH is wondering about RnR in MGM - we didn't get to it last time, but he couldn't do any of the looping coasters in 6 Flags Darien Lake because the over-the-shoulder restraint hinge hit him about three inches below his shoulder and he couldn't crunch down that far! Is RNR a looper? Think he might have an issue?

snifflesmcg
05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Isn't Disney great for making it comfy for all of us "Pooh sized" folks? Last year I had no trouble riding Barnstormer. The tea cups are a little awkward because the door is small but again, no problem. My boyfriend (who is 6'1" and almost 300) and I do riding single in some of the rides, including Space Mountain, but I didn't have any problems not being able to ride at all. Have a great time!

bratmaster
05-17-2007, 10:37 PM
My really only problem ride was Small World. It was brutal on my knees as they smashed against the seat in front of me the entire time.

LOL - small world was closed for refurbs. when we last went, so i guess my dh is in for a surprise then!

Here we go again...
05-17-2007, 11:05 PM
I am over weight (but losing thanks to Weight Watchers!!) and carry most of my weight in my rear. :blush:
I have to turn side ways to go through the turnstile when we enter the park. It is a little tight getting in the Tea Cups too, but every thing else is fine.

Disney World is very good at making the seating arrangements in all rides and attractions "Pooh sized" without the seats being too big for the smaller sized guests.

Southwest Airlines could learn a thing or two from Disney. Their seats a comfortable but you never know what length the belts will be. One time I could have wrapped 2 people in the belt but had to get a belt extender on the next flight.

cperry92380
05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Actually, that brings up a question I had - DH is wondering about RnR in MGM - we didn't get to it last time, but he couldn't do any of the looping coasters in 6 Flags Darien Lake because the over-the-shoulder restraint hinge hit him about three inches below his shoulder and he couldn't crunch down that far! Is RNR a looper? Think he might have an issue?

Yes, RnR is a looper and does have an over-the-shoulder restraint.

kakn7294
05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Southwest Airlines could learn a thing or two from Disney. Their seats a comfortable but you never know what length the belts will be. One time I could have wrapped 2 people in the belt but had to get a belt extender on the next flight.
Angel, I'm glad you said this as I thought it was just me! I didn't have a huge difference in the belts and they both fit, but it was enough that I noticed it. The first one barely fit and the second one had a good 5 or 6 inches to spare. I thought I was crazy (well, I am crazy but that's another story).

BMan62
05-18-2007, 03:51 PM

Here I thought it was just me!!!:blush: last time on Southwest I barely got my belt buckled and I'm 5"9+" (used to be 5'10" but am now shrinking with the weight of the world on my shoulders!;) ) and 285 lbs. I wear a 44/46 waist pant and never thought it would be a big deal on a plane. I swear they make those seats for models!!!

Fennell417
05-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. I am doing Weight Watchers too so hopefully I will be a lot less when it comes time to go in Sept.

snifflesmcg
05-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I'll answer about the rockin rollercoaster. I have gone to Dorney Park in Allentown, PA and could barely get on any of the coasters due to the size of my chest (Pam Anderson would be amazed). Anyway, Rockin Rollercoaster wasn't a problem at all. Belive me, if there were a problem, I'd be the first to know about it.