PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network vs Directv

caryrae
05-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I have been with Directv for about 5 years now and loved it but now I have decided to give Dish Network a try. The main reason for the switch is because I have an HDTV and Directv says I need to upgrade my equipment to get my local stations in High Def. The problem is I would have to pay $299 for the upgrade and the new equipment would be leased so I would pay $300 and have to give it back when or if you cancel. The also only have a handful of HD channels and Dish Network has up to 30. Also I can get the equipment I want for free because I am a new customer.

I was wondering what people think of Dish Network and/or Directv. Which do you preferr? Did I make a good choice? Pro's and Con's?

I didn't include cable because I can't get cable where I live.

Figgyluv03
05-15-2007, 01:02 PM
I've heard a lot of good things and bad things about both. However I do here that Directv is the best out there. We don't have it, so I can't be much of a help. I live in "Comcast Country" so it's digital cable all the way!

LibertyTreeGal
05-17-2007, 07:34 AM
I can't help you either, we had dish 500 when we lived in the boonies in Idaho, but down here in NM we live in a town where it is so windy that you cannot get good reception. So you would be best to talk to local folks about conditions in your area. Hope this helps!

Carol
05-17-2007, 09:04 AM
We actually use both and have cable. :thumbsup:

We have Dish Network at our store. I never watch it.

We have DirecTv at home with a DVR. I prefer the packages and channels offered by DirecTv.

caryrae
05-17-2007, 09:28 AM
The reason I am canceling Directv is I just didn't like how I had to pay $300 to lease a new box so I could get my local channels in HD. I ordered Dish network and got pretty much the same equipment for free to use. I also did research on the equipment from both Dish Network and Directv and found that the new HD DVR for Directv has been having way more problems then the eqivilent on for Dish Network. Also I hate the fact that Directv dropped Tivo on there new DVR. I figured I can try Dish network a while and if I don't like it better I can go back to Directv. Another big reason for the switch is Dish Network as at least double the HD channels.

Melanie
05-17-2007, 09:33 AM
We had such terrible customer service with Dish Network a few years back, we will never use them again. They blew it!

Jen0610
05-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Right now we have DishNetwork. We bought our system 9 years ago, when we bought our house. Because of how old our system is, we don't get all of the channels that we pay for as part of our package. According to Dish, we need to upgrade to the Dish500 in order to get all of the channels that are part of our package. In order to upgrade, we as LOYAL customers, have to pay $150.00 for the new dish500, $85.00 per receiver ($110.00 if we select a DVR receiver) and $80.00 for a referbished remote (per receiver). For what we are needing to replace, it is going to cost us $670.00 to replace equipment, that 9 years ago, only cost us $300.00 to buy all new. DH was seeing red so badly, he told them he would have to think about it. And basiclly he has thought about it and his feelings are, if DishNetwork is willing to GIVE brand new customers all this free equipment with a 18 month service guarntee, then they had darn will better figure out a better plan for up grading us, who have been with them for 9 years or we are switching to DirctTV or Cable. And DH HATES Comcast Cable and that is what we would have to get, cable wise, but he would bit the bullet to tell DishNetwork to get lost.

For us, one of the biggest draws for changing to DirectTV would be the sports package you can buy, DishNetwork doesn't have anything that comes close to matching it. If we didn't have either and was making a selection of which one to go with, DicrectTv would win, hands down.

fupresti
05-17-2007, 04:44 PM
You don't need new equipment. You can buy a standard over the air antenna and get your local stations for FREE in HD. Plus, the image is not compressed, so you end up with a better picture anyway. Your HDTV should have have two separate coaxial inputs anyway, one for cable and one for an over the air antenna.

caryrae
05-17-2007, 04:46 PM
That's what I hate about these companys who give new people free equipment to use and long time members the shaft. I understand with the new people they have to sign an agreement so companies get there money either way cause if you cancel before the contract is up you have to pay a few hundred dollars.

So why, with directv, They could offer me the new HD DVR for free instead of $300 if I would sign a comittment contract.

So Jen0610 I am kind of like you just the other way around I started with Directv and will switch to Dish Network because of some of the same reasons. Maybe if Directv gets the over the over 100 HD channels they say will have this year I may switch back.

caryrae
05-17-2007, 04:49 PM
You don't need new equipment. You can buy a standard over the air antenna and get your local stations for FREE in HD. Plus, the image is not compressed, so you end up with a better picture anyway. Your HDTV should have have two separate coaxial inputs anyway, one for cable and one for an over the air antenna.

I can't get my locals channels over the air. I tried everything set top antenna, even a roof top antenna. I just can't get a good enough reception where I am. I wish I could then it would be free.

JRocker
05-17-2007, 10:53 PM
I had Dish Network for several years. I originally purchased the equipment (so no leasing) and it was the Dish500. When I bought our new widescreen HD television, I wanted to get an HD box from Dish.

What a fiasco. Because I wasn't leasing my equipment, and they wouldn't sell me an HD box, I couldn't get HD from Dish. I spent several hours on the phone with countless people, and got the same results. No HD for me. I finally got ticked off and cancelled my account with them.

I wanted to go with DirectTv, but they wouldn't let me install the equipment myself. I didn't need a professional to install the equipment, and honestly just didn't want some goober coming over and wanting to drill holes in the wall that weren't needed.

IMO the customer service for both dish providers, and our local cable service are non existent. Which is quickly becoming the norm.

HndrdPrcnt
05-18-2007, 12:38 AM
I currently have DISH and love it. However, when I move to a HD television, I will probably switch to DirecTV in order to get free equipment. I just play each one. I stay long enough to meet my contractual agreements, but then when I am ready I switch.:thumbsup:

Goofster
05-25-2007, 11:49 PM
We have DirecTv with the DVR and have no problems to complain of. As for the HD component, I have been told that DirecTV's HD capacity is 3x that of Dish Network. Have you tried contacting DirecTV about your concerns? They usually will have a 'customer saving' rebate to offer you to prevent you from switching. Have you checked bestbuy's website? They seem to offer discounts if you are upgrading your equipment.

caryrae
06-08-2007, 03:15 PM
I see that the new HD DVR that Directv has dropped from $299 to $199. I just wish they wouldn't have got rid of Tivo on the new HD DVR.

caryrae
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
I decided to keep Directv. I asked about getting there new HD DVR cheaper and they are letting me have for $99. Sounds like they would give that price to anyone wanting the new HD DVR if you just ask.