PDA

View Full Version : Ohana worth the trip?

grumpycajun
05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi there! We want to try some different restaurants this year. I am a HUGE fan of The Yachtsman's Steakhouse, so DW can't believe I've decided to try Artist Point instead. Is this a good idea or do you think I'll regret it? The atmosphere looks wonderful. I just don't want to be dissapointed with the food.

Another question in three parts: We are staying at POP and I am wondering if the food and atmosphere at Ohana is good. Is there enough selection for a picky DD? What is the best way to get from POP to The Poly?

Thanks in advance!:mickey:

disney100%
05-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Good call on Artist Point! My DH and I tried it for the first time on our last trip and already have it planned for our next. Just so you know the portobello soup is absolutely delicious! My Dh had the buffalo and I had the salmon - both excellent. My DH also had the wine pairings - I was pregnant at the time, so I can only say he enjoyed them, I can't speak from experience. :mickey:

As for 'Ohana, it is definitely worth at least one trip there to check it out, but we have taken it off our must do list. The last two times we ate there, the service was pretty bad (which was shocking to us, since we loved eating there on previous trips because the service was always good, as was the food). We are not eating there on our next trip, but I am sure we will return at some point to try again.

ThanxForNoticin
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I totally agree with Disney100%. Definitely try Aritist Point and most definitely head to 'OHana. You say you have a picky DD? 'OHana offers beef, turkey, sausage, pork, shrimp, salad, wings, potatoes, and veggies. And if there isn't anything in there DD likes, just ask - we've seen Mac & Cheese show up for kids now and then.

Getting from POP to Poly using Disney transportation is not too bad (if you have a car, you should definitely drive). I'd take the bus to the MK, then hop on the monorail for the Poly (make sure you get on the track for the resorts). You should probably allow about an hour for travel time for your dinner. Have a great time.

angedeaile
05-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Picky DD? Then I would stay away from Ohanas.... or just expect her to want to eat something later somewhere else.

We ate dinner there last year and my picky DB (9yrs) only had the chocolate milk. I think he touched some potatoes, but that was it. He isn't much of a 'meat eater' and that's the main course at Ohanas.

They pretty much walk around with meat on skewers...beef, chicken...and I swear there was something else. They aren't really spiced or seasoned, so it is kinda bland to a kid.

Food aside, the atmosphere was wonderful. The view is great, the theming is wonderul and the kids get to play games like limbo and coconut races.

Either way, you might want to take a gander at their menu under InfoCentral. Maybe it is right down your alley.

Marker
05-15-2007, 01:58 PM
O'hana is no doubt a carnivore's delight.

But there also serve salad, shrimp, veggies, some wonderful potatoes (we've made them at home). And then there's the awesome bread pudding. And after all of those choices, if you picky eater insists on being picky, as someone said, just ask, and they'll find something to suit the picky one.

And if you do enjoy the food, they'll give you the recipe. As I said, we've made the potatoes at home, and we plan to try making the bread pudding as well.

DVC2004
05-15-2007, 02:19 PM
AP is excellent, and 'Ohana has some great food. The atmosphere there is fun and family oriented. There are kids choices upon request for picky eaters. 'Ohana is a must do for us each trip. Best way to get there from POP without renting a car probably would be to take the bus to DTD and then catch it from there to the Poly. Leaving, you can take the monorail from the Poly to MK then catch the bus back to Pop from there. Enjoy!

TheMartellFamily
05-15-2007, 03:47 PM
The is to answer the Ohana question. We have stayed at POP 4 times and travel to Ohana for a meal. The buses for the MK comes the most and the quickest so we board that and take it to the MK stop. get off and we then take the boat launch to the Poly which leaves from the shores of the MK. It is combined with the GF but it seems to be quicker than the monorail as for you have to stop at the contemp, TTC then the poly. My DS is the most pickiest of eaters and he always is given the choice of things he will eat. He likes it and never has left hungery. We love this for the kids and it is great atmosphere for them picky eater or not.

Maleficent's Dad
05-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Artist Point is excellent!!!

I'll have to be the dissenting opinion on these boards, but we can't stand O'hana's... :(

You'll find nary a word of negativity about O'hana's here on Intercot. We've been twice with our kids, and neither time was enjoyable.

However, I always feel we just "hit it bad" or had bad luck... O'hana's gets way too many glorious reviews here for me to bash it.

Hoping you have a great experience! :mickey:

GenieOfPA
05-15-2007, 06:26 PM
i think EVERYONE should try ohana's at least once in there voyages to the world. its by far my fav restaurant in all of WDW :thumbsup: the food and atmosphere are spectacular! as for getting there, you could just take a bus to MK then hop on the monorail around to the POLY.

Dracula766
05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
I can't wait to go back. :joy: :woohoo: :yay:
If you are a carnivore then this is the place to be. :chef:
I just need to remember to pace myself & save room for the bread pudding. I ate so much last time that it hurt to breathe.:ack:

I do have a question though. I made an ADR for 14 people. On my last visit, they fit 8 of us at 1 table. If they will be putting together 2 big tables will it be possible for me to add 2 more people?

Also, how is the view for Wishes? Will it be hard to see if we are sitting in the middle of the room?