PDA

View Full Version : MGM dining

jenperich
05-14-2007, 11:36 PM
My original thought was to do the Fantasmic Dining...but, that's just not a priority anymore. I would like to bring my "new-to-WDW" BF somewhere fun to eat. So, what I would like to know is...where would you choose...Sci-Fi Dine-In or 50's Prime-Time?? I've been to both and CAN NOT choose between the two, so I need help!! Thank you. :eat:

skisurf2
05-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Go somewhere else with better food, mama melrose, brown derby, even H & V. Sci-Fi bad food and boring movie, 50's good food, cramped eating area. But not to bad.

RAIDER
05-15-2007, 03:50 AM
Sci Fi easy for me .... the atmosphere cant be beaten :thumbsup: :mickey:

SBETigg
05-15-2007, 06:39 AM
I can't get into the idea of being hassled by my server for "fun" so 50's Prime-Time is not for me.

Spaceship Tigger
05-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Te concept of 50's Prime Time just never sounded like much fun to me. We're trying out Sci-Fi for the first time next trip.

GreenBeetle
05-15-2007, 07:38 AM
I can't get into the idea of being hassled by my server for "fun" so 50's Prime-Time is not for me.

Couldn't have said it better myself.:high5: However, we never miss Sci-Fi - love it there!

disneygirlie11
05-15-2007, 08:44 AM
I LOVE the 50's Prime Time Cafe!! They don't "hassle" you--they'll tell you to get your elbows off that table and call you sister or brother. If you don't play along, then neither will they! But the atmosphere for me is great! Reminds me of Dick Van Dyke and Andy Griffith lol. If you go ask for a peanut butter and jelly shake for dessert. Doesn't sound very good, but a cm told me to order it and it was AMAZING!!:thumbsup: I'm not sure that it was actually on the menu though!

DDuck66
05-15-2007, 11:12 AM
It would have to really depend on your BF's personality. If they were the type of person that enjoyed interaction and laughs with strangers, I would suggest Prime Time, if they are the type that just likes to soak in the atmosphere then SCI-FI would be the choice. I prefer PT Cafe. We have a special waitress and go there every visit.

Figgyluv03
05-15-2007, 12:57 PM
I think I have replied to another thread like this, but I had a blast at PT! Our "cousin" was our waiter and I was probably the only one who didn't get yelled at for have my elbows on the table. The food was good and we had a lot of fun. I do want to try out SciFi on my next trip. I couldn't find where it was until I did my CP down there.

Marker
05-15-2007, 01:47 PM
I voted for the 50's Prime Time, but it's not really a fair vote since I have never tried the Sci-Fi.

However, no only have I tried 50's, I have repeated it, and plan to again in September. For me, the food is wonderful (I love the meatloaf). The atmosphere and theming remind me of home when I was a kid. In fact, they have some of the exact decorations that my mom had in our house at home. After all, who doesn't love naugahide, formica tables, and ceramic wall decoration.

As for the interaction, personally I love. If you're willing to allow yourself to have fun, it'll be a blast. If not, they're pretty good about leaving you alone. Actually, now that I think about it, the whole "elbows off the table", "wash your hands", "sit up straight" thing is also reminiscent of home.

LandFan
05-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Sci-Fi for us. It's a really nice way to get out of the heat too. It's dark and cool and restful. I really wish I was there right now...:thumbsup:

septembergirl
05-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I have never been to Sci Fi either but we went to PT for my DS11's birthday. We all (12 of us)thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. The pot roast was delicious as well as the deserts. We had a great time playing around with our server, especially my DH and DB. It was a very memorable experience and we are returning in September with free dining!

Mickey91
05-15-2007, 08:20 PM
We love the Prime Time. Haven't eaten at Sci FI (it is on our list of ADRs), but from the menu, I don't think I will like it as well.

JPL
05-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Had to go with Prime Time because of the show along with the food. I don't think either is really great food but Sci-Fi the last few times I tried it was really sub par food for the price.

GrmGrninGost
05-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I have to go Prime Time! I LOVE the place! The food is GREAT! And, you've got to love a waitress/waiter who makes you use good table manners and eat all your veggies!:mickey:

jefmblrd
05-16-2007, 08:01 AM
I've never eaten at Sci-Fi, but I've been in there, and it's really cool.

I have eaten at Prime Time and the food is just okay. The first time we went, we had an amazing servier who really played it up and made the experience unforgettable. The last two times we've been it was just the opposite. The servers were not "on" and the experience just fell flat. Coupled with the less than average food, the experience wasn't fun at all.

I would suggest that you don't go to either place and spend your time and money in a better sit down restaurant outside of MGM. (I have heard that the Brown Derby is good, but I've never eaten there, so I can't really recommend it.)

The best restaurant I've eaten at in WDW is The California Grill, but it can be rather pricey. If you are on the Dining Plan, it'll cost two table service credits.

WDWfeelslikehome
05-17-2007, 06:28 AM
Sci Fi is fun, but as far as "fun" interaction with the servers you can't beat 50's when at MGM.

LibertyTreeGal
05-17-2007, 07:40 AM
50's PTC -- we are headed back there in November :thumbsup: