PDA

View Full Version : School Program Etiquette

Boojum
05-14-2007, 09:59 PM
I attended a band concert with both my daughters in it tonight, and my question is this: when did it get to be okay for parents/observers to sit in the audience and talk all the way through a performance????

I had my videocamera up and was taping my younger DD's performance--or attempting to--while the two women next to me yacked and chattered all the way through the first song. I said "Shhhh!" a couple of times, which they completely ignored. When they kept doing it during the second song, I switched off the camera and said "Would y'all PLEASE stop talking? I'd like to hear the music!" They actually looked at me and muttered to each other about how rude I was being.

Is this the norm now??? Did I not get the memo???

Noah's Helper
05-15-2007, 08:33 AM
At least they didn't start a fistfight with you (like happened at the Boston Pops recently)!

The talking would have really annoyed me, too.

tyandskyesmom
05-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I had sort of the same issue last week...

Ty had his Spring Concert for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades. The women behind up talked, loudly, throughout the entire show...if they were not there to see/hear their kids sing, why did they come???

It was very rude and inconsiderate.

We also had a bunch, and I do mean a bunch, of parents who thought that getting pictures and movies of their kid(s) was way more important than anyone else even being able to see the show!

I missed th ememo too I guess!

January-2007
05-15-2007, 08:17 PM
People are just getting ruder and ruder, it's crazy.

SBETigg
05-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Very inconsiderate people to talk while kids are performing. It would seem unbelieveable, but it happens every time at my daughter's orchestra concerts at the school.

Melanie
05-15-2007, 08:38 PM
We also had a bunch, and I do mean a bunch, of parents who thought that getting pictures and movies of their kid(s) was way more important than anyone else even being able to see the show!

I've noticed this at our kids' new school this year. It drives me bonkers! The first performance we went to this year, I couldn't believe all the folks there with tripods set up directly blocking the view of others. I was prepared the second time, and got there early for a front row seat.