PDA

View Full Version : Moderate Hotels, which is best?

disneyvivi1980
05-14-2007, 01:08 PM
I know I've started a thread last week about the Value resorts and I intend to stay there on my next trip in January 2008... but, here's where it gets complicated:

A friend of mine *might* be able to book me and him (he wants to tag along) into a Moderate.

As I've done with the Values, I'm asking you which Moderate is best overall (location, building)...

Also, I've noticed that most (if not all) of them have different buildings. Two more questions on that: they do have elevators, right? And how do you get from the check-in building to your building if you get to WDW with DME.

Again, thanks for all the help you have provided me and I'll let you which type of hotel I will stay when making my ressie.

Thanks!

Quasimodo
05-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Our favorite is Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ). The rooms are very nice and the landscaping and "mini-streets" are beautiful. Its a small resort, so its not crowded or noisy. Also, because its small, all of the buildings are close to the main building and bus stops. Its centrally located on WDW property, so the bus rides to any of the four major parks is fairly short. All buildings have an elevator. Although they are not always conveniently located near your room. When you arrive, you can have bell services take you and your luggage to your building on one of their club cars. Or you can just walk.

ginny57
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
I agree with Quasimodo. POFQ for me!

I have stayed at all 4 mods so, if I were YOU, I'd probably base it on the atmosphere I'd enjoy the most. CBR is island-like, POR is old south, CSR is texmex, PRFQ in mardi gras.

You won't be disappointed no matter which you choose. How could you be.....it's ALL DISNEY!

Mousehead35
05-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Ditto for PORFQ! This will be our 3rd stay and we are really looking forward to it. :cloud9:

mttafire
05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds like a broken record.. but....POFQ!!:thumbsup: It really is tough to beat.

tink2006
05-14-2007, 03:02 PM
We prefer the "sister" resort, POR. It is a little bigger but we like the theme better. Also, keep in mind that CBR IMHO is huge.

Strmchsr
05-14-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't think there is a "best" resort in any category. They are all Disney resorts and every one of them magical in their own way. It's really which one you prefer in terms of theming. I like POFQ because I am a jazz fanatic and enjoy New Orleans, but I don't think it's any better than any of the other resorts.

JohnnyJayhawk
05-14-2007, 09:45 PM
We just got back from CBR and really liked it. As said above, it is pretty big and spread out so I think room location is probably more important there than other resorts. We were only a 5 minute walk from the food court.

jenperich
05-14-2007, 09:52 PM
I am staying at POFQ this November. I have stayed at the other three Moderate resorts and I love them all. CBR is really big, but it's also a really fun resort. CSR is beautiful and really authentically "tex-mex". But, I truly do believe that Port Orleans(both sides) is the best choice. It's just beautiful and seriously relaxing. I can't wait to try out POFQ. I'm sure I will love it.

GreenBeetle
05-15-2007, 07:50 AM
:here: Another vote for POFQ!!

Beautiful resort - small, quaint - no long walks to anything. No matter what building you are in, you are close to everything.

minnie-mouse
05-15-2007, 09:07 AM
CBR is by far the best-best theming, nice relaxing atmosphere, fun resort.

disney100%
05-15-2007, 12:36 PM
My favorite moderate is POR with CBR a close second (keep in mind though, I have never stayed at POFQ).

I love POR's food court and theming. I also really like their gift shop. The piano player at River Roost is very entertaining and worth a night of "saying in" to see. My family just really likes the landscape and walking along the river. My son loved watching the water wheel too.

The Caribbean is really fun as far as theming goes. We like the food court there too, but we didn't like that the only bar was outside (that would never deter us from staying there, but it is just something we observed since we usually visit in February when it can get pretty cold at night). Some of the villages can be a long walk from the main building, but it is a peaceful walk along the lake. Plus, CBR offers an internal bus that makes the rounds to each of the villages and Old Port Royale.

As for Coronado, it was a very nice resort, but we did not get the same Disney feel there as we do from the others. Of course, that could have just been the particular cast members we encountered, but we probably wouldn't stay there again.

c&d
05-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Bucking the tide here I vote for Coronado Springs with POR a close second. We stayed for 2 weeks at CSR this summer and loved it. It was a wonderfully relaxing resort. The main pool area was big and never felt crowded. I loved Pepper Market the food court. It has by far the best choices IMHO. The buses were never crowded and even though there was a convention during our stay they never got in our way.

It is a huge resort so yes there is a lot of walking. But it a beautiful resort to walk around, especially at night. At night you can also see the fireworks from Epcot and MK.

mermaidmarian
05-15-2007, 03:23 PM
POR is our favorite resort. POFQ comes in a close second with me, although other family members really don't care for it.

I love the theming and the amenities at POR and I am a reasonably fit 40 something and do not mind walking in the slightest. I have yet to have a problem with the transportation - but we do always opt to get the bus at the Main stop.

POR has a great playground as well as a fishing hole on Ole Man Island, you can rent water craft, surrey or regular bikes, Piano Bob appears in the lounge on select nights, quiet pools and a themed pool, and a great (refurbished) food court.

"Nuff said!

mrsgaribaldi
05-16-2007, 02:38 AM
My 2 favorites are POFQ and CBR, I have stayed at both several times. I like the smallness of POFQ. It has a nice feel to it. I like the themeing at CBR. Even though it's very big I still like it. I liked that each little group had its own pool and I liked the shops. POFW used to be my favorite until I stayed at CBR and then it waa a tie. I think you will love either one:thumbsup:

disneyworld55925592
05-16-2007, 06:58 PM
My favorite is POFQ
for the reason that
1) It has the same size pool as the other resorts BUT it has less rooms and people so the pool isn't crowded
2) Its nice to take a walk along the river, and take the boat to downtown disney
3) Its very peaceful, quiet, and a nice place to relax:thumbsup:

pogo
05-16-2007, 08:50 PM
We stayed at CBR and POFQ and liked each one for their own qualities.:cloud9:

CBR is big, but we loved the walk to the food court and the theaming was ideal to get us in the mood for our Disney Cruise later in the week.

POFQ is a small resort with it's own charm. The streets are very much like being in New Orleans. You can hear the sound of jazz playing in the background.

The rooms were almost identical in size and shape. They were decorated in their own theme, but they were very equal.

As far as bus service, I'd have to give the edge to CBR. We never experienced any crowding like we did with POFQ. We were lucky that POFQ guest's are picked up before POR guests.

Flip a coin and stay where you think you will like it best. :D