PDA

View Full Version : The All Time Biggest WDW Resort Question!!

jakeybake
05-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Here it is, the dilemma I face each trip.

Me, Mr. Disney himself would stay in a carboard box next to the dumpster outside the food court at the All Star Music resort if it guaranteed me a full week at WDW. My wife on the other hand would rather spend 3 nights at a Deluxe resort than 7 days in the previously mentioned cardboard box.

So here we are, the battle of the sexes, Husband vs. Wife in a battle to the death (of me)on where and how long to stay!

I, being Mr. Disney made the mistake of booking the POR for 7 days, (with free dining mind you) from 8/26-9/1. My wonderful wife, Mrs. Trump, said, and I quote, "I do not want to stay there, I just don't like it. I would rather stay less time at the Beach Club than more time at the POR". This coming from a woman who has stayed at the POR twice before and said it was "ok" which coming from her says something!

So I being a husband and knowing who ultimately calls the shots (because an unhappy wife on vacation makes for an unhappy husband!) changed it from 7 days at POR to 6 days at the BC for $700 more. A mere drop in the bucket for Mrs. Gates.

So please help me. Good decision to upgrade and lose a day or bad decision to lose a day but upgrade to a beautiful resort?

P.S. Anyone know a good divorce lawyer? :)

mttafire
05-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Remember your THE MAN, You are in charge...:blush: Ok, now that that statement is overwith:foot: I hope my wife doesnt read this. Seriously though, I would not sacrifice even a day for a nicer resort. If we stay at Disney for a week but need to do it with less money we would NOT hesitate to stay at all star movies. The time we are there is VERY important to us. If i were you...Id try to convince my wife that the extra day is worth it. My wife on the other hand does EVERYTHING i tell her.:bolt:

TheRustyScupper
05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
1) Procedure
. . . club her
. . . grab her hair
. . . drag her back to the cave
. . . let her know time at Disney is more important

2) Seriously, I believe it is length of time that counts.
3) You don't spend THAT much time in the room.
4) If you do, then stay at the Ritz Carlton.

NOTE: Mrs Rusty just came in and saw my reply. I formally recant Item #1, but stand by Items #2-#4.

vamaggie
05-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Female perspective coming so WATCH OUT!!!! We are the opposite in our family (I'll be joining you in that cardboard box with my 2 kids!) so DH is the one who believes that the deluxe resorts are the only way to go. He is not a big Disney fan like me and the kids so if he can enjoy his vacation(and the resort atmosphere) while we enjoy the Disney-ness it seems like a fair compromise. We only get to go every 3 yrs but this way everyone enjoys. If doing as much Disney as possible is your goal, maybe go without your DW (heck it would save on airfare and park tickets too!). But if going on vacation and enjoying Disney (as much or as little) WITH your wife is what is important, bend a little. You are only losing one day.

SallyfromDE
05-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Don't you need to stay at least 5 nights for the free dining? As much as I'd love to stay Wilderness Lodge, I prefer to stay the longer time. So I stay at the values instead. I'm with you.

JohnnyJayhawk
05-14-2007, 11:08 AM

I'm pretty good, but I'm not licensed in Massachusetts.;)

Spaceship Tigger
05-14-2007, 11:12 AM
I know that everyone is different, but personally I would be willing to stay one day less at WDW in a resort that I knew I was going to enjoy over one that I knew I would not. To me, the resort is very important because we spend quite a bit of time there (including afternoon breaks). If the trade-off was several days at WDW lost then I would not go for the deluxe, but at only one day then I would go for it.

bleukarma
05-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Since it’s only one day I say it’s worth it. She’ll be happy and I’m sure you are going to love the Beach Club. Plus you’ll make up lots of time since you can walk to Epcot and MGM and take the monorail to MK and not have to worry about buses except for Animal Kingdom. I’m sure you won’t make up a whole days worth of time, but the Beach Club is defiantly one of the more convenient resorts. If you had to lose multiple days then my answer might change but for one day…I say it’s worth it since you’re wife will be happy! And that’s the most important part! :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
05-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh my lord, this is such an EASY Dilemma to resolve.

1. Don't drop a day from the trip from 7 to 6. Increase it from 7 to 8.

2. Tell the DW to find a way to get the additional $1400 to stay the BC.

I don't come from money and do enjoy luxuries at times. But at some point, luxury and needs tend to diverge. If your wife works, let her know what she will have to give up to get it or how much overtime she needs to work.

Nicki'sMom
05-14-2007, 12:01 PM
I thought about saving money and staying someplace cheaper than WL, but I decided we were saving so much with free dining, that I could justify the extra expense. Maybe go to WL or AKL instead of the pricier deluxe resorts? As long as you leave enough time to do everything you want to do at the parks, I don't see why cutting a day is bad. Maybe if you say at those two resorts mentioned, you would not have to cut a day out of the vacation. Good luck.

Seasonscraps
05-14-2007, 12:04 PM
I think the upgrade with one less park day is worth it if it's going to make that much difference to your spouse. I think missing a park day with a happy spouse is much better then an unhappy spouse for 7 days.

jakeybake
05-14-2007, 12:06 PM
I forgot to mention that my wife owns her own business (hair salon with 3 people who work for her) and when she said that she wanted to upgrade she said immdiately after, "And I want to pay the difference out of my salon money.". So that is all set. For me it's not about the money, it's about the days. We are one of those married couple where all of our money is the same, no separate accounts so mine is hers and hers is mine.

We are far from wealthy but $700 won't kill us, especially for the 4 of us (DS- 9, DD - 6) but just knowing on the day that I'm leaving that I would still be there the next day will give me agita (an Italian word for aggravation).

Marker
05-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I suppose I'm a bad one to respond to this.

The only benefit I can see to staying at a Deluxe resort, is the opportunity to unnecessarily spend more money. I don't see how I could possibly need anything more than what is offered by the moderates, and I certainly can't justify the additional expense. Frankly, I find the setting, and the overall environment at POR (or POFQ) to be much preferred to some of the Deluxes I've seen.

Luckily, my wife and I are apparently on the same level of neediness. The Value resorts are just fine with both of us, and the Moderates are nice for the occasional step up. But neither of us need the extra "fluff".

One day is not REALLY that bid a deal, and you are correct, your own potential for happiness is directly related to hers. And it sounds to me like compromise is translated to "do it my way".

princessjojo
05-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Something is wrong with this picture. Not only do you lose a very valuable day at WDW, but you also lose $700 just to say you slept in a "nicer" bed at a "nicer" resort. I agree and say to use the extra cash that "Mrs. Godrocks" has to add the extra day to the vacation.

We just stayed at POR last year and saw absolutely nothing wrong with it and I do like a champaign :wine: life. But I also have to remember that I have a beer :beer: budget so I take what I can get. But I don't let DH know I'm that easy.

c&d
05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Me, Mr. Disney himself would stay in a carboard box next to the dumpster outside the food court at the All Star Music resort if it guaranteed me a full week at WDW.

I wouldn't even need the cardboard box for the week. :D Seriously, I love the Disney resorts but if staying in a moderate gave me the extra day I'd take the extra day.

pox24
05-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Don't be cheap. Spend the do re me. It's vacation for cryin out loud. You cannot compare the mod with the deluxe, its not even a horserace. As for Mrs. Trump... if she gives you any more ****, make her ride "It's A Small World" till the park closes.:D

Relmal
05-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Send the Mrs. home a day earlier and stay in your cardboard box the last day!;) Whatever you do, have fun!

cinderellagrl
05-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I say that the trade off was a good one. I would rather enjoy a vacation where everyone can be happy rather than spend one more day in Disney. My family usually stays at Disney for six days, and we always have enough time to enjoy ourselves. As you previously mentioned you have been to Disney a number of times... realize that you will be back and one day will not matter that much. Another thing that could possibly work... what about adding a day at a value just for one night!?!?!?! The cost would be minimal... you could add it on the last day of your trip and when you buy tickets at the beach club just get an extra one. While you would have to pay for food for that one day (no free dinning plan) the extra cost would not be huge!

chasgooses
05-14-2007, 01:54 PM
I think you made the right choice for the Beach Club. It's only one day and, as someone who is sort of a deluxe snob, if you want to stay deluxe, the moderates just don't cut it. They are perfectly nice, but they are so huge and sprawled out and motel-style set-up of the buildings is a huge turnoff. If your wife doesn't want to deal with that, she is not going to be a happy camper on your trip and that will ruin the entire trip. You will wish you could leave after day 2 if she isn't on board. If you can afford the $700 without too much trouble, I would definitely stay one less day to stay at the BC.

ginny57
05-14-2007, 02:13 PM
My last family trip was me, DH, DS and my Mom. We stayed at POLY and all my DH did was complain! Not enough bartenders and he had to wait for a drink! No place to drink in the MK. Wants to leave the parks dailt when HE has seen'done everything on HIS list. I wish I could say I'm kidding but I'm not. My Mom swore she'd NEVER come with us again. His attitude ruined our trip. So, for me, I would do whatever I could to not have THAT experience again.

On that note, DH informed me this past weekend that he wants a divorce. I'm trying to hold it together and find things I can hold on to so I don't fall apart. One thing that I am holding on to is that he won't ruin any future trips (like my 50th B-day celebration on Oct) and MAYBE my Mom will come after all.

crazeedizneefinatic
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Coming from someone who always stayed at a value or moderate I cannot justify the extra $700 and losing a day. Now if money was no object than the deluxe is the way to go. I personally would not consider trying to "come up" with the money just to sleep someplace deluxe. I have a 6 year old who loves the parks, we are hardly ever in the room anyway. As long as the room is clean and the CM's nice why does it matter where you stay? It seems like the extra $700 is a stretch for you. I see also that kids will be involved. $700 can go a long way on souveniers rather than a status hotel. I would never cut the vacation short just to say I stayed at a deluxe resort. I know the values are a bit crowded with families but it's a clean place to sleep and the moderates also.

psychotekkie
05-14-2007, 08:39 PM
We've done both deluxe and Value, and this year we're short on cash so even though we LOVE the deluxe resorts, even for convenience alone, we will go Value.

I say, if she wants BC because of convenience, $700 will easily cover a personal Taxi Cab to take you to the parks if you so desired, and more!

DisneyGiant
05-14-2007, 08:45 PM
I am a snob I guess.

I will only stay at Deluxe Resorts. To me its all about the location. Once you've stayed there - you just don't want to stay anywhere else.

Its worth the extra money to me to be able to walk into Epcot or the Magic Kingdom.

In fact - I guess I'm a snobby snob - cause I won't stay at the AKL because of its lack of proximity to the parks.

Maybe if I was getting an extra week out of staying at a mod or value - I'd considerate it. But not for just one day.......

Here's an idea - why don't you join the DVC? Then you'd always be staying deluxe-like - for years to come even!!!

SBETigg
05-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Your wife is right. She's clearly a woman of sound taste and impeccable judgment. Bow down, kiss her feet, beg forgiveness, and remind yourself how lucky you are. ;)

Seriously, better location, bigger rooms, great pool. The time you save in not waiting for buses alone probably more than makes up for the extra day. POR buses are not all that efficient. If the money is not a problem, go with it.

And oh, Ginny, I'm so sorry. Best wishes to you during a difficult time.

Crow
05-14-2007, 10:39 PM
oh ask me ask me:judge: :hi:
ive been married 3 times and all have seen WDW. im going alone in 2 wks so...
while i didnt like POR or BC i would pick having the extra day and saving the money. BC had the great location by Epcot though
depends on how much you like your wife, if you want to keep her happy and the $$ is nothing.
i could get a lot out of $700.

KAT1811
05-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Okay here we go!

Me, Mr. Disney himself would stay in a carboard box next to the dumpster outside the food court at the All Star Music resort if it guaranteed me a full week at WDW.

I'll be in the adjoining box with my family!!! Anything to be in WDW!!!

So here we are, the battle of the sexes, Husband vs. Wife in a battle to the death (of me)on where and how long to stay!

FYI, no battle, wife always wins!!! LOL!!!

The only benefit I can see to staying at a Deluxe resort, is the opportunity to unnecessarily spend more money.

I agree. I'm a champagne girl all the way every where except in WDW. We did the BC one year and I wasn't impressed. Plus we're never in the room. I'll save the extra $$$ for a bottle of my beloved champagne and a fabulous dinner.

Send the Mrs. home a day earlier and stay in your cardboard box the last day!;) Whatever you do, have fun!

Great idea!!! DH usually joins us mid trip. This time he'll have to fly back and forth a few times due to our business but I'll be there with the kids awaiting his return.

On that note, DH informed me this past weekend that he wants a divorce. I'm trying to hold it together and find things I can hold on to so I don't fall apart. One thing that I am holding on to is that he won't ruin any future trips (like my 50th B-day celebration on Oct) and MAYBE my Mom will come after all.

You hang in there girl. Anyone who acts that way in WDW certainly doesn't deserve to be with such a Disney lover. You lived before him and you'll live after him. Everything happens for a reason. This just means that something amazing is awaiting you around the corner.

I am a snob I guess.

I will only stay at Deluxe Resorts. To me its all about the location. Once you've stayed there - you just don't want to stay anywhere else.

From one snobby snob to another I have to disagree here. I've done the deluxe resort thing and wasn't impressed at all. Although I also wasn't impressed with the Ritz either. Anyway, we tend to buy tons of souveniers and lots of fabulous meals with great wines and champagne instead of wasting it on the room we're never in. We leave first thing in the morning and come home late at night and just crash long enough to recharge before heading out again. Plus I find that the CSR has all of the amenities that the BC had when we stayed there and our children don't have to be as quiet outside as they do with the inside halls. I love walking out my door and seeing the beautiful lake and not having to navigate confusing hallways to get outside.

Mousefever
05-15-2007, 12:09 AM
So have we helped you out by expressing opposite points of view?

:dory:

mermaidmarian
05-15-2007, 06:12 AM
This is such a no-brainer for me. We rarely stay at Deluxes, because I (I'm the decision maker/trip planner) cannot rationalize the extra expense for the Deluxes, given what I am at WDW for. I'd rather my visits be longer and more frequent than at a "Deluxe". But...I am way too much Yankee. Your wife must be from away. :mickey:

gueli
05-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Battle of the sex's ?
You have already said it yourself,If DH is unhappy, than you are unhappy.
Do not fret over the "lost day".
Yes extra time would be great. Does your DW spend lots of time in the room ? Remember you are going on a vacation & being happy is the most important thing. :D

on a side note
Ginny57: keep it together. You sound like a strong woman. You will get by, you will survive...:beer:

:beer: :mickey:

SallyfromDE
05-15-2007, 08:50 AM
I am a snob I guess.

I've stayed at Deluxe, Mod and Value. I really didn't find the Deluxe all that exciting. My favorite has been some of the Mods. The kids love the gawdiness of the values. So I just save my money for souvenirs. Sally

garymacd
05-15-2007, 09:15 AM
I forgot to mention that my wife owns her own business (hair salon with 3 people who work for her) and when she said that she wanted to upgrade she said immdiately after, "And I want to pay the difference out of my salon money.". So that is all set. For me it's not about the money, it's about the days. We are one of those married couple where all of our money is the same, no separate accounts so mine is hers and hers is mine.

We are far from wealthy but $700 won't kill us, especially for the 4 of us (DS- 9, DD - 6) but just knowing on the day that I'm leaving that I would still be there the next day will give me agita (an Italian word for aggravation).

Let her pay for the extra day as well. What is most important is that everyone gets what they want, or at least a good compromise. You get all the days you want, she gets the resort she wants (although she won't get beignets at BC - too bad for her), you don't have to pay extra. Have you tried POFQ? It works for us, and you get beignets :cloud9:

It's strange. My beloved wife loves WL but actually prefers POFQ for the cost savings, atmosphere (and beignets) and size.

Only eight days to go!

illini
05-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Tell her she can cough up the $$ for an extra day, too. That's what I do with my DH (oh, wait... I don't have a choice-- I don't work! I just tell him when/where, and at the last second, how much-- too late to cancel! LOL). Seriously, though, your kids are going to want some pool time at the BC.

And Ginny, lots of pixie dust to you.

garymacd
05-15-2007, 09:38 AM
My last family trip was me, DH, DS and my Mom. We stayed at POLY and all my DH did was complain! Not enough bartenders and he had to wait for a drink! No place to drink in the MK. Wants to leave the parks dailt when HE has seen'done everything on HIS list. I wish I could say I'm kidding but I'm not. My Mom swore she'd NEVER come with us again. His attitude ruined our trip. So, for me, I would do whatever I could to not have THAT experience again.

I can't believe anyone acting like that! Especially at WDW. What a cad (must be showing my age to use that word) And what a cad to be leaving you. To tie this in to another thread, just "hold on" to all those refillable resort mugs and remember the good times past and the great times to come. At least he won't ruin your 50th birthday.

Happy Birthday, whenever it is. And get a hold of JohnnyJayhawk. I hear he is a pretty good divorce lawyer!

Frog
05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Sometimes blessings are disguised...

prttynpnk
05-15-2007, 11:49 AM
The only benefit I can see to staying at a Deluxe resort, is the opportunity to unnecessarily spend more money. I don't see how I could possibly need anything more than what is offered by the moderates,

I'm with you! The only thing I regret about being at a value is the lack of finer dining- but hey, we are seasoned resort hoppers- we eat at the big resorts each trip.
If anyone wants to fund a free trip to a deluxe, we would be gracious recipients, but we'd rather visit more often than pay more for less time.
Princess Tightwad signing off!

Hammer
05-15-2007, 12:10 PM

As you already stated, your wife has said she'll pay the difference, so that is not an issue. It sounds like the resort is a part of the whole vacation experience, much as it is for me (for me, I have to also include dining). Neither my sister nor I are big on souvenirs and actually have never been, even as small children. We buy a magnet and we are set. We use the money that we would have spent on souvenirs to stay at nicer accommodations and eat at nicer restaurants because that is what we enjoy.

Everyone enjoys WDW in their own way and no one way is either right or wrong. To me, so long as everyone has a good time is what really matters.

caryrae
05-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Could you split the week between different resorts. You pick a resort the 1st 3 days and she picks the last 4 days. She gets more days of course because she is the wife. You could stay at POR for 3 days than go to the BC for 4 days.

floridamom
05-15-2007, 02:36 PM
I think you're a good-hearted and wise person for being willing to forgo the extra day to accomodate your wife's desires, extravagant as though they may seem to you. I can only hope that she does the same for you in some other area of life, since good marriages involve give-and-take on both sides.

Having said that, IMHO, if you had to upgrade, you did well to choose a resort that has a great pool and close proximity to Epcot and MGM. Just try to savor the time you spend there so that on Day 7 when you are headed home instead of staying one more day, you can at least know that you did things at Beach CLub that you would have been unable to do at Port Orleans.

Have a great trip !:mickey:

Clotho
05-15-2007, 02:54 PM
My initial reaction was "what the?! NO WAY! HOW DARE SHE!" LOL

And then I realized that this is the choice I make, it's just built into the original plan.

I suppose we could go for a two-week WDW trip instead of a 10 day for the same price, but I chose Deluxe resorts for my trips at the outset, so the length of the trip was limited by my desire to stay at a nicer resort (though POFQ was the only moderate I have ever wanted to try--looks so lovely, and the boat to DTD and all sounds fab).

I do love where I stay at to be "nice". We don't spend a lot of time there, but the time we do, I really like to be special. I have a nice home, but am not the Queen of Clean and Organization in general. So a hotel is always a chance to be surrounded by utter cleanliness and order for a week or more. The theming can either make you feel serene or grated upon. The size of the room can determine if you feel you are climbing all over one another or not. The service...well you can't go wrong anywhere on Disney property!!, but there are a few more perks built into the Deluxe experience that are subtle but nice to have.

The amenities of the resort can make you feel even more at home, and offer you a leisurely day away from the parks where you don't feel you missed out on anything, because there was so much to do and see right outside your door. And as others have pointed out, the swiftness of the transportation from your resort to your desired attractions can make a difference--both in the morning when you are eager to get out there, and in the evening when you are tired and potentially grumpy and just want to put your feet up or take a refreshing shower.

So while my first reaction was indignance, in the end it is resignation. This is the choice I make every time I go--your wife just got to chime in a little late on her opinions. :)

snifflesmcg
05-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Remember your THE MAN, You are in charge...:blush: Ok, now that that statement is overwith:foot:
What a sexist remark. I'm glad I'm not YOUR wife.....ANYWAY.....

$700 more to get one day less??? :eek: My portion of my trip, with free dining, is $750 and that is for 8 nights 9 days and includes the plane tickets back and forth to NJ. What you have to ask yourself is "How much time are you going to be spending at the resort?" I personally like the Value since I am only there to sleep. How much different is your bed when your eyes are closed? I would never pay an extra $700 and get one day less. We are actually staying an extra day just to save on the plane tickets.

kgoulash
05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
as has already been stated it depends on how interested you are in everyone having a good time. we always go with my parents and my mother refuses to stay anywhere but the yacht/beach, in fact she feels she's compromising by staying at the bc. oh well, i grew up staying at the deluxes and truthfully would rather save and go fewer times and enjoy a more convienent resort, but perhaps that is because i have 2 small children in tow.
i would love to go 12 days but no one in my family is interested in values so i compromise and enjoy being there all together
whatever you choose have a great trip!

berri_boo
05-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Luckily my DH & I share the same opinion when it comes to WDW. We would rather spend more time & stay in a less expensive resort for 14 days or more then stay at a more expensive resort for half (or less) of that time. We are the type of people that are on the go and are only a the resort to sleep, shower, eat and take a break during the day. We spent our honeymoon this past July at PO-FQ and had a great time but couldn't see spending a lot of money on a resort when we didn't really spend all that much time there.....it just didn't make much sense.

When it comes to WDW we think "QUANTITY over QUALITY" because when it comes down to it do you really need all those frivolous perks?

Who wouldn't want to be able to spend a glorious 17 days/16 nights at WDW??????? Unless of course you don't like Disney!

DisneyGiant
05-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I've stayed at Deluxe, Mod and Value. I really didn't find the Deluxe all that exciting. My favorite has been some of the Mods. The kids love the gawdiness of the values. So I just save my money for souvenirs. Sally

I'm not saying the deluxes are more exciting - reason why I love to stay there is that I can walk right into the parks! Its such a major time and aggravation savings. And we've been staying at the Epcot resorts because we love to eat there for dinner! :wine:

As much as I love the Disney transportation - we don't even rent a car any more - waiting for that bus after the various night shows (Wishes for one) can be agonizing! Kids exhausted - standing room only - its the one bus that never comes - three CSRs to one YC/BC, etc).......... Its so nice to just be able to walk across the street back to the Contemporary. In fact, I can't wait for the day that the DVC is built there!! (Hoping and wishing!!!!) :yay:

So I don't think I'm really paying for a "better resort" - I'm paying for a better location...... and at YC/BC - I'm paying for the privilege to swim in that unique pool!! :vacation:

What's great about WDW - there's different strokes for different folks!!!! :thumbsup:

darthmacho
05-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Geez, we're thinking of staying at POR next year, and we're considering that an upgrade!

Maybe you should remind your wife that extravagance is a deadly sin. :laughing:

llamaface
05-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I've actually been having this argument not with my DH, but with myself!! Half of me wants to give up the deluxe, so we can stay for a longer amount of time, but the other half of me does not want to give up the Poly. Unlike many of the PP's, we do spend alot of time at the resort. To be quite honest, the resort is the reason my DH and I like to go (my kids feel differently though!) Wish me luck - I think arguing with a spouse is much easier than with yourself....'cuz usually against DH, I win;)

Mickey91
05-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Could you split the week between different resorts. You pick a resort the 1st 3 days and she picks the last 4 days. She gets more days of course because she is the wife. You could stay at POR for 3 days than go to the BC for 4 days.
That would mess up having the free dining plan.

I guess since it is just a day, it is okay. Ashame to have to pay an extra $700 and lose time at WDW. I would rather stay at a value than give up time at WDW.

jedigrrrl
05-15-2007, 07:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!

You sound like my mom who always tells us (in Spanish!) "Do you think you're Rockefeller's kids?!?"

AllDisney
05-15-2007, 10:46 PM
If staying in a value resort to get an extra day out of our vacation, it's fine with us. However, if it means that much to your wife.....then give up a day and stay at the resort that will make her happy.

Have a great time!

mouselvr
05-16-2007, 12:48 AM
1 more day=unhappy wife
1 less day=happy wife

This really is an easy equation! ;)

SpecJoe Magic
05-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Keep in mind that since you are on the free dining plan you will also be losing a snack, a CS meal, and a TS meal by reducing your trip by one day. So, you will be spending $700 extra for accommodations plus losing $38 per person worth of food that would be free. Losing the one day wouldn't be the biggest issue for me. The extra money and less free food would concern me the most, but if you don't mind giving that up then staying at the Beach Club is the way to go because it will make your wife happy.

Carol
05-16-2007, 08:55 AM
We actually do like to spend time at our resort. Not to mention the pools, restaurants, transportation ..etc. are much better at the deluxe resorts.

Give me the deluxe resort any day!

mook3y
05-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Here's an idea - why don't you join the DVC? Then you'd always be staying deluxe-like - for years to come even!!!

What Disney Giant Said :number1:

That is exactly why we bought into DVC. We know that we will be going year after year. We prefer Deluxe resorts and they do offer amenities that moderates and values don't. However, we as a family also enjoy spending a fair amount of time at the resorts. So far, we go for 10+ days and have always scheduled a day or two that we just hang out at our resort.

We were fine with POR and POFQ. They are nice, but can we say... Jacuzzi tub? :D

disneycharm
05-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Hang in there ginny57. You'd be surprised on how strong you can really be in situations. I've been on my own with my boys for many years now and I do enjoy planning our entire DW trip without much compromise (except for the kids).
As far as Resorts go, for us the place we stay is an important part of the trip which adds to the whole disney experience. Since we don't go every year, it gives me a chance to save and stay at a moderate for at least a week. We stayed at POR last year and absolutely loved it! Perhaps an upgrade to a river view? I'm saving real hard this year becasue next year we are going for ten days (three at the Poly and seven at POR) hopefully disney will have the free dining again.
If you cannot split the time between the two resorts then she should pay for the extra day. As long as the other party is not too spoiled, something can be worked out where you can stay at a nice Resort for the full seven days.

Dedivah
05-16-2007, 04:01 PM
So I being a husband and knowing who ultimately calls the shots (because an unhappy wife on vacation makes for an unhappy husband!) changed it from 7 days at POR to 6 days at the BC for $700 more. A mere drop in the bucket for Mrs. Gates.

So please help me. Good decision to upgrade and lose a day or bad decision to lose a day but upgrade to a beautiful resort?

Another Wife's perspective:

Both DH and I are huge Disney fans, so we would be in the cardboard box afew garbage bins away with the kids.

However, It all come down to common sense. You are loosing by giving up the day and upgrading. You are spending more for less in my opinion. How much time are you going to spend at the resort? If the Disney Dining is a limit of 5 days then you won't be loosing anything there by staying for 6. But to pay $700 more to loose a day is not a good thing.

BUT then again, If she is as difficult as you say, what price would you put on your peace of mind?

caryrae
05-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Maybe you should just switch off every vacation. If you go every year she picks what you do one year then the next you pick. If she is as loving a wife as you are a husband she should consider your feelings too. I hope she really wouldn't ruin a vaction just because she had to stay in a moderate instead of a deluxe. I have been to Disney many times and have never been able to stay in even a moderate. We have always stayed in a Value or even of Disney property because we can't afford better.

Momof2boys
05-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Just like Carol, we also enjoy spending time at our resort. Our trips are usually 8-10 days in length and we look forward to that down time. We usually try to have 1 or 2 days where we don't even go to a park. On our first trip we stayed at Shades of Green and after staying at WL the next trip I said to my husband that I'd rather stay at a Value than Shades of Green if it came down to $$$. THankfully I haven't needed to make that decision as we've stayed at the Poly twice and Caribbean Beach as part of a split stay.

For us the selling point on the Deluxes are the queen beds - with 2 sons, 9 & 6, the only way to have a peaceful night of sleep is the 2 queens. Those full size beds at CBR made for a grumpy family in the morning. We'll be staying at AKL this October for 10 nights after a discussion on whether or not to try a moderate again because of the length of our stay. I didn't want to suffer nights of sleep.

Why not go for the extra day AND the deluxe ? ? A happy wife is PRICELESS.

mdricks
05-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Here is the solution i settled on (different problem but the solution would work here too)

Solo trip. Long weekend, once a year.

For two, full glorious days i do what i want, when i want. Oh, and i stay in values.

Its much cheaper than a divorce lawyer.

caryrae
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
I hear alot about, do what makes the wife happy.

Us husbands are just as important and deserve to be happy and do what we would like to do too.;) and if you don't think so I am going to tell my mommy.:crying:

CuteAsMinnie
05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Stop the complaining about your wife.... The fact you made the rese for the additional $700 shows the additional cost is not that HUGE a deal to you anyway. I'm sure we all drop that much in a few trips to Wal-Mart. You're still getting the free dining so go, enjoy yourself and hats off to ur wife.

jakeybake
05-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks to all who have weighed in so far.

Quick update. We switched to the Beach Club but kept the vacation at 7 days, 6 nights. So a real win-win situation for all involved!!!

Now let the planning begin!!!!!

Thanks again to all of you and keep chiming in if you so desire!

Jay

SallyfromDE
05-17-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm not saying the deluxes are more exciting - reason why I love to stay there is that I can walk right into the parks!

There is only 1 park, you can so called "walk into". There are 4 parks, not including the WP. Epcot if your staying in those resorts, and MK if you staying in those. They all require some sort of Disney transportation or your own car. If your in a Epcot resort, you need a boat to get to MGM. How do you get to the MK? If your in the Contemporary, how do you get to Epcot? You need a car or Disney transportation. You can do just as well in a MOD or Value.

gueli
05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Great News jakeybake !:magic:
I am happy all is well.
:thumbsup:

Seasonscraps
05-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks to all who have weighed in so far.

Quick update. We switched to the Beach Club but kept the vacation at 7 days, 6 nights. So a real win-win situation for all involved!!!

Now let the planning begin!!!!!

Jay

That is definitely a WIN - WIN situation!!! HAVE FUN!!!

vamaggie
05-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Glad it was able to be resolved to all parties agreement (just don't let the kids start to chime in now!:secret: ) Have a great trip and happy planning!!!

rnin02
05-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Great decision! We decided on a longer vacation and a moderate hotel. Not that I don't love AKL...but I'd rather be WDW for 7 days vs 5.

DisneyGiant
05-18-2007, 04:07 PM
There is only 1 park, you can so called "walk into". There are 4 parks, not including the WP. Epcot if your staying in those resorts, and MK if you staying in those. They all require some sort of Disney transportation or your own car. If your in a Epcot resort, you need a boat to get to MGM. How do you get to the MK? If your in the Contemporary, how do you get to Epcot? You need a car or Disney transportation. You can do just as well in a MOD or Value.

If you stay at Contemporary - you can walk to the Magic Kingdom. - And now if you stay at Swan\Dolphin or Boardwalk - you can also walk to MGM (not that I'd want to cause its a longer walk) as well as Epcot.

We tend to eat alot of dinners at Epcot - so its a major advantage to us to be able to walk in - is all I was trying to say.......

Yes - we still have to bus it to AK and MK (unless we walk across Epcot to the monorail. Monorail is so much nicer than the buses isn't it?

GeminiAngel
05-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Remember your THE MAN, You are in charge...:blush: Ok, now that that statement is overwith:foot: I hope my wife doesnt read this. Seriously though, I would not sacrifice even a day for a nicer resort. If we stay at Disney for a week but need to do it with less money we would NOT hesitate to stay at all star movies. The time we are there is VERY important to us. If i were you...Id try to convince my wife that the extra day is worth it. My wife on the other hand does EVERYTHING i tell her.:bolt:

You my dear, are a very brave man! :ambal:
I'm guessing your wife doesn't visit the boards?:hide: LOL!!

thejens
05-19-2007, 08:46 PM
That is my kind of solution!!! The one I was going to recommend. Let's face it, you both have equally important feelings about what makes a vacation special for you! I happen to like the Deluxe resort AND as long a stay as possible. It's great that you are both able to splurge and not resent the other. Hope you have a wonderful time. And Ginny, I hope the world is even more magical for you in the future! Sending you some pixie dust!

spoiledraf
05-20-2007, 06:48 AM
We are strictly shorter and at Deluxe people. (BC, YC, BW, GF) Last year we added a day at Riverside just for a less expensive last night so we could stat late at the parks and compared to a deluxe check in, it was like a cattle call. The room was fine but the ammeneties and personal service are lacking. But then again, we go for the leisure vacation and don't run from attraction to attraction in the parks. Late breakfast and late fine dining every night is our style. If we can only afford 3-4 nights instead,, to us, it's more relaxing.

princessjojo
05-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Jay

Looks like you BOTH can have your cake and eat it, too! Now that what I'm talking about.

garymacd
05-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Looks like you BOTH can have your cake and eat it, too! Now that what I'm talking about.

Just think: if you were staying at POFQ or POR, you could be both having your beignets and eating them, too!

garymacd
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
We are strictly shorter and at Deluxe people. (BC, YC, BW, GF) Last year we added a day at Riverside just for a less expensive last night so we could stat late at the parks and compared to a deluxe check in, it was like a cattle call....

I don't know how many others do this, but we found this to be a wonderful alternative to spending large amounts of money for the first and last nights. We usually drive down from southern Ontario and take about 3 days to get there and 3 more to get home. It always seemed like a waste to arrive at 8 pm and not have use of the parks, and then leave the parks at 8 pm and only be able to drive a short while before stopping for the night, or have no use of the parks on the last day.

We always find a cheaper place off-site near the Maingate so we can enjoy our full first and last days at the parks.

That is kinda what I am doing...hmm...TODAY! I am leaving for the airport at 6pm TODAY (Monday) and staying in Orlando for two nights while I wait for my beloved wife to catch up to me, fresh from the POTC premiere in Los Angeles and just in time for the grand opening at WDW! (Yes. I spoil her. She deserves it!)

We both win: she gets to spend time with her friends, Johnny-watching; I get to spend some time at Kennedy Space Centre and Ron Jon's Surf Shop.

julieunruly
05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I'd sleep in my car for an extra day. :D

Dawneeeey
05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
So I asked my DH your question, only I messed it up and said All-Stars vs Deluxe to which he responded, less time at a Deluxe would be his preference given those two options. I was like, really????? I wouldn't go as far as staying in a cardboard box, but I would seriously consider staying in a value again. But then I re-read your post to him and he agreed, POR for longer would be better. :thumbsup:

What if you chose a different moderate resort???

:tink:

Goes4FastPass
05-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I've stayed at some of the deluxes at WDW. Isn't a medium sized room with queen size beds, a balcony and polyester bedspreads called "Holiday Inn" everywhere else in the US?

When WDW talks to us as we talk to each other we say "deluxe" when we say "Grand Floridian" to our friends they hear, "the amusement park with the mouse."

As far as convenience goes, even the deluxes are a trade-off. BC guests take a bus to the MK or AK. CR guests can walk to the MK but everywhere else is less convenient to get to.

Now, to your situation. A day less and $700 more, especially since the person requesting the change it willing to pony up the cash, sounds swell to me.

It's fine for people to like the WDW deluxe resorts but I can't see being 'snobby' about it.