PDA

View Full Version : Christmas/NYE 2008 with little ones

mook3y
05-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Hiya Gang, :mickey:

After many discussions, my DW and myself are pretty sure we want to take our children to WDW for Christmas 08. They will be 4 and 6 at the time.

Our original thoughts were we wanted to wait until they were older, because of the crowds.

So looking for a little input from others out there who have taken their kids around the same time.

We will be staying in a 1 bedroom DVC for Christmas day, so that there will be room for a christmas tree. What have any of you done for a Christmas tree in room? - We are thinking to buy a 5 ft fake tree and have it shipped down.

We know the parks are going to be crazy busy. We want to go to Magic Kingdom in the morning to at least see the Christmas parade. Is there any "MUST DO's" on Christmas day in MK? (besides be there when they open). Not too worried about rides, we will be staying a few days after New Years day and plan on getting most of the riding in after then.

For New Years Eve, since our children are so young, we are thinking to maybe just spend the night in the room and have our own little party. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

We plan on spending a fair amount of time resort and pool hopping (DVC) during the time between Christmas / New Years. What shouldn't be missed?

Do they do anything special for Christmas day at the resorts?

As always, looking forward to all the great advice! :thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
I'll try to address a few of your questions:

As far as a Christmas tree, I've heard of people shipping them, and decorations, down as you've suggested, and others have bought an inexpensive tree once they've arrived in Orlando and then they've just left it behind. If a smaller tree is feasible, you could also pack it in your luggage.

As far as must dos for Christmas Day, I think the most important one is to be as patient as possible. I would think this might be a little tough on the kids though.

I would think a party of your own for NYE would be fun and much less stressful with kids of those ages.

I'm not sure if they offer any special activities at the resorts on Christmas Day or not. I know they do for other holidays though, so it's possible.

Hopefully someone with some first hand experience will be along soon with some helpful hints and suggestions...

vamaggie
05-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Don't know about WDW at Christmas time--have never been lucky enough to be there then. About NYE I would also suggest a party for yourselves vs a resort/hotel type party. My kids were always the "early to bed" kind when they were little so we would celebrate "Bristish New Year's" with them at 7pm EST. We watch CNN which shows Big Ben striking midnight and we have blowers, confettit and "champagne"( sparkling cidar), everyone hugs, dances a bit, then we have dessert and off to bed. If they can stay up til "real" midnight maybe you could watch fireworks (if they have them) or do some sparklers, confetti poppers etc yourselves. What a great vacation it will be to be at WDW at that time!! I'm jealous.