PDA

View Full Version : Day 1, no park? Advice!

jrpersinger
05-12-2007, 10:25 PM
We decided to go down one night before the rest of our group is suppose to arrive. We won't be arriving until late afternoon and we decided we did not want to go to any of the 4 parks that day. BUT we have two kids who are not going to be that patient. So we were thinking maybe hit the water parks for a few hours (TL emh that night).... still not certain on doing that tho after driving most of the night. But it would get the water parks out of the way so we wouldn't have to do them during the remainder of the trip.

We also thought it would be a great chance to see the electric parade on the water (if they still do it) since we have never seen it before. And maybe do some kind of dinner at the resorts, maybe a late dinner with a view of Wishes????

Everything is still up for consideration. So any advice is welcomed! Esp the best times to do all of this? We are staying at SOG if that helps.

Thanks! :mickey:

tinksmom02
05-12-2007, 10:39 PM
You could do the water parks, and then head to Ohana's for dinner/view of Wishes. I think you can see the water pagent from somewhere on the property, too...???

Our first night we usually like to head to DTD and get some dinner (Rainforest, Earl of Sandwich), stroll around and browse/shop in the stores, get ice cream at Ghirardelli's. I don't recall if you mentioned how old your kids were, but if there's young enough there's a train ride and a carousel ($2 each).

You could always just hang around and explore your resort and let the kids swim, and then head out for a nice character meal at one of the resorts!

Good luck with your planning!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-12-2007, 10:52 PM
We usually do DTD and dinner our first night too. :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-12-2007, 11:31 PM
You can go Mini Golfing,or go to the Boardwalk and see what entertainment is going on, you can even see part of Illuminations from there. Or go to DTD and shop around. Or go to the Character Outlets, take a ride up International Drive and see the sights.
Or go resort hopping and check out how the other half lives. Or just ride the monorail from MK to Epcot and back.

Belle--86
05-12-2007, 11:38 PM
This trip we are doing a no park day the first day. We are planing to go DTD and hang at the resort(this is the first time @ a Deluxe--staying at Poly). We have ADR's for Ohana the first night and then plan to go down to the beach to watch water parade and fireworks from MK.

Mickey91
05-12-2007, 11:50 PM
The electric water pageant is great! We like to watch it from the beach at the Poly. It has a fun tune and is just another magical part of the day!:mickey: Maybe you could have dinner at Chef Mickeys and then head over to the Poly Beach and see the EWP. That way you get in some of the funcharacters as well!:mickey:

We sometimes spend our first evening at DTD. It is fun and festive and puts us in the Disney mood without making us too tired to enjoy our first full day.

This year, we will arrive(we hope) around 2:00PM and will check in and go straight to the MK for a 4:00 ressie at LTT. Then it's MNSSHP time!!:mpumpkin:

What ever you decide, have fun!

HndrdPrcnt
05-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Our first night was a "no-park" night and instead we went to O'Hana and had dinner with a view of Wishes. It was great! That restaurant rocks!

I also liked the idea of doing dinner at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. That would be a great way to get the character interaction in so that you don't have to worry about standing in those long lines to see the characters in the parks.

Enjoy!:thumbsup:

mickeymousedabomb
05-13-2007, 07:30 AM
We like to hit DTD, pick shirts or hats for the next day at MK so we all "match" for our pix in front of the castle. The RC is a great place to eat especially w/ kids. About the water pagent it can be seen from Poly, WL, or the GF I believe it starts at 9:30, but I do not know which way it goes and what resort it passes first. We will be watching that went we go next too from the WL. Good luck picking something!

Mary Poppins fan
05-13-2007, 07:43 AM
This year we're arriving late morning. We usually hit the ground running, but we're not planning on going to the parks that day. Instead we'll do all the things at the Poly we never seem to find time to do - like hang out at the pool all afternoon, take the boats out, participate in the kid activites! Then it's dinner at Ohana's, the fireworks, and off to bed to get a good nights sleep!

wilshade
05-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Something I did the last time I went down to the World is often overlooked, but turned out to be the most relaxing "First Night" I have had at Disney. The campfire and sing-a-long at Fort Wilderness.

Yes, it seems like it might be a hokey thing to do, but I found it fun, relaxing, and it put me in the "Disney Spirit" for the rest of my vacation.

Chip and Dale host the campfire. Folks can sit on the benches or on blankets. People seem to talk freely and it is a fabulously friendly setting.

After dark, they show a movie.

If you arrive at dinner time, Trails End Buffet is one of the best places for casual dining in all of the World.

jrpersinger
05-13-2007, 09:01 AM
For those suggesting Chef Mickeys or Ohana's, what time would you make ADRs for? I was thinking if we choose Ohanas, making them at 8pm or if we did Chef Mickeys, making them 7pm. So we could eat at either, catch the parade and fireworks from the beach at Poly then walk over to our hotel... Then depending on what time we get there, we will decide on water parks.

We are going to DTD the next evening for some beautification at BBB! LOL Didn't want to go there twice.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

dumbo ears
05-13-2007, 11:56 AM
i'd say hit the waterparks. then if your kids still want to do stuff take them to disneyquest.

tink2006
05-13-2007, 12:21 PM
We usually arrive late afternoon/early evening Sometimes we do not hit the parks the first day. We have done mini golf, Boardwalk, etc. This year I am planning on DisneyQuest, our DS14 loves this. Dinner at Wilderness Lodge:thumbsup:

Whatever you decide, I am sure your first night will be magical:mickey:

irish1967
05-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Something to consider... additional days on the passes aren't that expensive - last year, my brother and his family arrived the afternoon before we did. I think he was able to add a day to their passes for less than $20. They spent a couple of hours in the park, had dinner in Cinderella's Castle and did several rides that my older boys weren't be interested in.

We don't do the water parks so I can't help you there (we usually stay 3 nights and just don't have the time) but I think I would vote for dinner at Chef Mickey's and then ride the monorail over to the Polynesian to watch the fireworks on the beach.

Have a great trip!:mickey:

jrpersinger
05-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Something to consider... additional days on the passes aren't that expensive - last year, my brother and his family arrived the afternoon before we did. I think he was able to add a day to their passes for less than $20. They spent a couple of hours in the park, had dinner in Cinderella's Castle and did several rides that my older boys weren't be interested in.

We don't do the water parks so I can't help you there (we usually stay 3 nights and just don't have the time) but I think I would vote for dinner at Chef Mickey's and then ride the monorail over to the Polynesian to watch the fireworks on the beach.

Have a great trip!:mickey:

We are adding a day to our park hoppers when we get there, we would have to do that to go to the water parks. Actually since we are staying at Shades of Green, we don't buy our tickets till arriving anyways... Its way cheaper then actually buying water park tickets alone. Its going to cost us $8 total for 4 of us to add on one day to our hopper.

I think we are pretty much decided on going to the water park (depending on what time we arrive), then going to Ohanas for dinner (if we can get ADRs) and watching the water parade and fireworks from the beach at Poly.

39 days and counting! WoooHoooo!!!! :minnie: :dumbo: :goofy: :malef:

SBETigg
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
The water parade goes by the Poly at 9 as long as fireworks aren't scheduled for the same time. An 8 pm 'Ohana ADR may be cutting it close if you plan to go watch from the beach and there is no guarantee at getting an 'Ohana seat with a view. I would suggest a 7 pm ADR. Service at 'Ohana can be slow and if you're done early, you can always check out the shops at the Poly and meander on down to the beach.

Another fun thing to do to whet the appetite for the coming days is to take the monorail to Epcot. You ride to Epcot, around through the park, and return to the TTC. That glimpse of Epcot gets us really excited.

dtootsie42
05-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Our first day is usally a non-park day. We like to go to DTD and shop and wander around and then we either have dinner there or we go to one of the resorts. Ohana's or Kona Cafe is a good choice and then we go out to the beach area and watch the fireworks. Makes for a great day!

Mikey Piano 23
05-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Depends on the kids...if they are really insistent I would take them to the water parks.

If they are the type of kids to kinda just chill out I would take them to the pool at the resort for a while and maybe just check out the resort.

DTD is also a nice option for a meal and some nice shopping. Earl of 'Sangwich' is the best bet for a quick bite at a good price!! :thumbsup:

irish1967
05-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Something else I just thought of - if you can't get ADRs at Ohana - we really like the Kona Cafe so that might be an option.

35 days for us! Woo-Hoo!

Figgyluv03
05-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I'd say hit up DTD! Then I would have a nice dinner at one of the restruants. You can always go to one of the MK resorts and then watch Water Pagent Parade.

jenperich
05-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm just not sure that I could waste a day at the World by not going to the park. And, it's probably not a "waste", but I still like to be at the parks as much as I can.

IDreamofEeyore
05-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Here's another recommendation for the Campfire & Movie at Fort Wilderness Campground. It's fun...it's relaxing...(how often do you get to see movies under the stars anymore)...and oh yeah...it's FREE!!!!

TheRustyScupper
05-15-2007, 11:05 AM
1) We do a different First Night.
2) We go to Fort Wilderness.
. . . dinner at Trail's End
. . . campfire with Chip-n-Dale *
3) A calming evening after a day of travel

* Campfire: roast marshmallows, autographs with Chip-n-Dale, sing-along, outdoor Disney movie

jrpersinger
05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Fort Wilderness sounds more my speed... actually crashing in the hotel and ordering room service after driving all night sounds even better! LOL

DH is now saying he wants to go to MGM since its the last weekend for Star Wars Weekend and we won't be able to go on Sunday once everyone else gets there.

DD#1 says she is going to the water parks.

DD#2 says she is going to have Belle read her a story.

Yeah, so its gonna be interesting once we get there. We decided against making ADRs since no one can make up their minds what we are doing. I told DH last night him and DD#1 could go to MGM (I am not a SW fan) and the water parks and me and DD#2 will go to Magic Kingdom. That isn't happening either.... Ugh, and here I thought the first day alone would be easier planning then the planning I did with 10 other people! :marg:

grumpycajun
05-15-2007, 03:46 PM
We're rolling in a day early too, so we're going to do the water park, grab an early dinner somewhere, and stay at an inexpensive off-property hotel. Then, it's up very early to check in at POP. Can't wait! 48 more days!

BW Fan
05-15-2007, 05:23 PM
You can go Mini Golfing,or go to the Boardwalk and see what entertainment is going on, you can even see part of Illuminations from there. Or go to DTD and shop around. Or go to the Character Outlets, take a ride up International Drive and see the sights.
Or go resort hopping and check out how the other half lives. Or just ride the monorail from MK to Epcot and back.

I could not have responded better myself. This is exactly why my family has done for many visits. It not only gives us a chance to recover from the long drive from Texas, it also gets us in a strong Disney mood and makes the first day at the parks even more special. Plus it is fun.

Donald Duck 224
05-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree with the majority. DTD is great to go on the first night. If your kids are older i say walk over to pleasure island, it is fun there also.

Donald Duck 224
05-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I could not have responded better myself. This is exactly why my family has done for many visits. It not only gives us a chance to recover from the long drive from Texas, it also gets us in a strong Disney mood and makes the first day at the parks even more special. Plus it is fun.

HAHA! I have done that. One time, We just rode the monorail from TTC to Epcot and back around 4 times and people kept looking at us when we didnt get up.:D

scootch713
05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
I am not going to the parks the first day either(i go by myself with my two girls age 5 and 7) We will swim, unpack, get oriented and do a character meal for dinner... then watch wishes from outside the park and early to bed as we have 8am breakfast reservations the next day.

jpcns50
05-16-2007, 08:45 PM
We are arriving around 4:00 on our first day of our honeymoon, and I'm a firm believer that our first park has to be MK on the first FULL day, because the morning show is what makes the day. I couldn't imagine arriving at 4:00 and going to a park, but I do understand with kids it is probably very tough!!

Our first night (since its our honeymoon) is just to have dinner at our hotel (AKL) and then do some hotel exploring!!:mickey:

disneymom2000
05-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Downtown Disney at DisneyQuest. Man all of these suggestions are so great, we have changed our minds about doing the parks on our arrival day. It will definately be DTD with dinner, DisneyQuest and then hit the soda fountain and do a little shopping. It always seems I am so rushed at all the parks during vacation, I never take time to see DTD. This time it's a must.:rocks:

Mousefan29
05-17-2007, 06:50 PM
What about dinner at the Animal Kingdom Lodge? Boma is a favorite of ours -- a nice buffet with a lot of very different options. Then, you can explore the resort and head out to the savannah to see the animals. In the evening, they usually have a story teller around the firepit. Since that resort is out of the way, it might be nice to head over there on a non-park day.

Otherwise, I agree with the other ideas... DTD, Monorail ride, resort hopping, Boardwalk. You'll have fun no matter what!

Pop Centurion
05-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I usually rest at the resort for a bit after the trip there then walk around and take pictures. Then do to DTD for shopping and dinner.

BashfulMom
05-18-2007, 11:13 AM
My family and I are facing the same situation. We decided to just wing it and see how everyone is feeling once we arrive. Right now we are torn between going to Epcot in the evening and just hanging out at our hotel (WL).

jrpersinger
05-18-2007, 12:06 PM
I am glad to see we are not the only ones planning to do this. I felt weird at first because I didn't want to hit the major parks. Like I was breaking some sort of rule! LOL

I guess we are just going to play it by ear. I know the girls will be well rested since we are driving all night and they will sleep in the car. My DH probably will too. He can sleep... and I mean sleep... anywhere, any place, anytime. So since I will just be napping here and there on his driving shift on the way down, I will probably have to hit up the coffee shop for a big caffine boost and **** it up. Cause they are are going to be fully charged. I'll just sit in the strollers if they make me go to the park, they can push me around! LOL

Grace
05-18-2007, 02:04 PM
:mickey: How about-

1. Spend the afternoon swimming and relaxing.

2. Then go to Hoop-De-Doo Review!! It would be a great Disney way to start the vacation!

JCDarzi
05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Our favorite 1st day/nights at WDW have been either DTD...It doesn't use a ticket but has plenty of Disney magic. Our other favorite is just to hit the hotel pools and have a table service meal at one of the resorts.

We enjoy having a low-key start before ramping into the full-force must-do-everything Disney touring plan. :mickey: