PDA

View Full Version : Powder or Liquid Laundry Detergent

merlinmagic4
05-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Was just thinking about this! I always use liquid at home but always get powder (small boxes) when we travel to our timeshare. What do you use?

And while we're at it, dryer sheets or liquid fabric softener?

RedSoxFan
05-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I use TideHE (have a front loader washer) and liquid Downey fabric softener.

kakn7294
05-12-2007, 04:43 PM
We use liquid detergent. I heard that powder cleans better but our water is so hard and we use cold water to wash so the powder doesn't fully dissolve. We use both liquid fabric softener in the washer and dryer sheets in the dryer - probably overkill but we get a lot of static electricity if we don't use both. I don't ever do laundry when traveling so I can't comment there.

princessjojo
05-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't use the powders unless I absoutly have no other choice. They never dissolve completely and I end up with matted soap in my clothes, only to rewash them. And I love the smell of the Downey in my clothes. But really the only time I ever do laundry is when we are at our home at the beach and we are usually there for about 10-14 days so we really have no choice. We do keep some clothes there year round, but we still need to wash from time to time.

TheMartellFamily
05-12-2007, 06:33 PM
We are the same, at home we use liquid but while on vacation we use powder. One of the worst things in the world that happened was that they discontinued selling here in the US the laundry tablets. Those are the best when gone on vacation and need to do laundry. I like fabric sheet as for I hate static electricity when pulling items out of the dryer. I like to use bounce sheets, have not tried any others.

Carol
05-13-2007, 07:26 AM
I use both.

I use Tide w/ Bleach Powder in hot water for my whites. I have never had a problem with clumping. Maybe you're packing the washer too full?? :scratch:

I use liquid Tide for my colors.

& Fabric Softener Sheets. :D

DVC2004
05-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Liquid Tide and Bounce dryer sheets. Powder I think makes a mess. I prefer the liquid detergent.

bucky at disney
05-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Always liquid detergent - then I don't have to worry about the white mess I used to get with the powder.

As far a fabric softener - I use dryer sheets in all the loads in the dryer - and some loads I use both - especially the dress pants - cuts down on the static cling when I use both fabric softener and a dryer sheet - especially problematic in the winter!

Tinkermom
05-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Ever since we got our front load washer I always use powder soap and liquid softner. I love that I can put it all in the dispensers at the beginning and not worry about it. I can also use less detergent with the front loading washer. My favorite softner is the Downey Lavender Vanilla.:cloud9:

offwego
05-16-2007, 01:35 PM
We use the liquid kind (but unscented phosphate free) and the dryer sheets (again unscented).

I do however buy the special gentle liquid and the one for darks as well.

I like the liquid's ability to disolve easier in cold water.

Disneymom4ever
05-16-2007, 10:48 PM
We bought our front load washer/dryer recently, and was actually told to STOP using powder detergents! They showed us actual pictures of what the insides of the washer look like (motor, etc.) when using both types. The one using powder looked really bad! They said it has to do with the powder never fully dissolving. They also said that since the powder never fully dissolves, some of the dirt actually stays in the clothes. I don't know, that's just what we were told. Ok, there's my lesson for the day! :D

snifflesmcg
05-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Liquid all the way!

Tinkermom
05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
We bought our front load washer/dryer recently, and was actually told to STOP using powder detergents! They showed us actual pictures of what the insides of the washer look like (motor, etc.) when using both types. The one using powder looked really bad! They said it has to do with the powder never fully dissolving. They also said that since the powder never fully dissolves, some of the dirt actually stays in the clothes. I don't know, that's just what we were told. Ok, there's my lesson for the day! :D

Hmm... that is just the opposite of what we were told when we bought ours. They told us that since the front loader mixes the powder with water it helps it to dissolve prior to hitting the clothes. They said that we could use either powder or liquid but that since we could now use less of either (supposedly the front loaders wash more effectively and with less soap needed) it was more of a cost savings to use powder...

Figgyluv03
05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Liquid Laudry Det. & dryer sheets, as long as they are the Tide Free ones. :thumbsup: My little bro and I are allergic to the dyes and perfumes.