PDA

View Full Version : never been to DL

Nicki'sMom
05-12-2007, 03:20 PM
I have never been to DL, what is the best time of year to go when the crowds are small and what is the best hotel for kids?

Marla
05-12-2007, 08:10 PM
WOW! You have never been to DL. Well, you have found the right place for lots of opinions. I have never stayed at the Grand California, but I'd say that would be the place I would stay with your Disney expierence. They have lots of Kid Friendly things to do. Depending on your time of year, there could be storytellers in the lobby, a arcade and a beautiful and fun pool area. The other two hotels are awesome too, with themed pools, aand character meals. That's a hard choice, I would say let budget be your guide. As, for the time of year with less crowds, I would say late October and February and early March. The down side to that is alot of attractions are down for refurbishment. Have a ton of fun, DLR has a much different feel than WDW, but you won't be disappointed.:tink:

BrerGnat
05-12-2007, 10:59 PM
The best time (lowest crowds) are Monday-Thursday during September (after labor day), October, November, Early December (before christmas week), January, February, and March.

Avoid weekends year round...they are ALWAYS busy, but Sundays are less busy than Saturday, as a general rule. Avoid holiday weeks and spring/summer from April to August is generally ALWAYS crowded.

How old are the kids? Older kids will enjoy the Grand Californian because it's "fancy", plus it's right in the middle of Downtown Disney. It's reminiscent of the WL, but in a more upscale way. It is very expensive, though, and I feel that the rooms are very small (WL size, in fact) and it is a poor value for the dollar.

For the ultimate "Disneyland" hotel experiece, stay at the DISNEYLAND HOTEL! This hotel has it all...awesome pool, very large rooms with lots of DL nostalgia around, koi ponds, waterfalls, several restaurants, an arcade, etc. It's right next to the monorail station as well. It would be my recommendation if your kids are 10 and under.

mook3y
05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Definately recommend staying at one of the Disney hotels if $ is not a problem. Nothing like staying on property, no matter which Disney Park you are at.

If you want to save some $, and still be very close, the Carousel Inn is located directly across harbor blvd from DLR. It is actually closer than some of the rooms at the Disneyland Hotel.

They are reasonable, clean, A/C works great and have a free continental breakfast each morning, in a room with a great view of DLR.

mjm12000
05-30-2007, 06:35 PM
I have been in November for the Christmas Decor and in February, both times were not to bad for crowds although November was a bit crazier as it got closer to Thanksgiving weekend. I preferred my February trip personally.

I agree with the others, if money is not an object and you want an incredible first visit I would stay at the Grand Californian with a resort view, I did on my first trip and my view of California Adventure park literally made me cry the first time I stepped out on my balcony. The hotel is magnificant and the service is awesome.

If you are on a budget I would stay at either the Tropicanna or The Camelot Inn, I have stayed at both and they are both great options for the budget concious. Also they are right across from the park on Harbour BLVD with access to some great cheap places to eat like Millie's. When I stayed at the Camelot Inn in November last year I had a view into Tomorrowland from my balcony which was awesome. I actually find the walk to the parks is much shorter from these hotels than the Grand Californian unless you are using the private entrance into California Adventure.

Either way Disneyland and California Adventure are magical.

mook3y
05-31-2007, 08:32 AM
I have never been to DL, what is the best time of year to go when the crowds are small and what is the best hotel for kids?

I just realized that I didnt address when crowds are small.

Far and away, my favorite time of the year to visit DL is between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday breaks. The first couple weeks (especially mid-week) in December have very lite crowds. Plus the parks are spectacular when they are decorated for the holidays!