PDA

View Full Version : Packing Lite - Is that possible?

LeeAnn
05-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Party of 5: Me, DH, DD4, DS3, DD1

4 Airlines Tix - 2 Bags Per Tix - Total of 8 Checked Items

3 Car Seats (will be checked/not used on plane, just too much to carry).
1 Double Stroller
1 Single Stroller

That's 5 and only 3 Remaining

So we have 2 Large and 1 meduim luggage for all of us and we're going for 2 weeks (5 days elsewhere).

Don't want to do wash. It's a vacation.

Kids need an outfit a day. Just don't know what they will do. The adults will mix and match and wear items more than once.

That seems allot w/o even mentioning toiletries, misc items.

How do you pack lite?

Also, I would like to try the kids clothes in ziploc bags. I think this will make easier for dressing in the morning but does this help in packing your luggage? Does it take up more space?

Any advice will be helpful. Must pack by this weekend. Under the gun.

Pipalotta
05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Dont forget for every ticket you can pretty much bring 2 carry ons, one for under the seat infront of you and one to put in the compartment above you. That would give you 8 more bags you could bring athough I can hardly imagine how you would hall of that around with you and 3 babies.

Ive done the whole zip lock bag thing and I dont know if it helped save space or not, i put what ever in them and then sat on them to get most of the air out of them as possible. Also something most people dont thing about, but if you roll your clothing rather than folding that saves lots of space. That is how things are in my dresser and I probably fit twice as much stuff in a drawer.

And remember your checked luggage can be as big as you need it as long as it doesnt weigh more than 50lbs or else you will be paying for it.

Are you renting a car? Or having a car service? You can always not bring your toiletries with you and stop at the store and buy them.

tinksmom02
05-11-2007, 09:58 PM
I did the ziplock thing for DD last trip, I don't know if it saved room, but it was easier for getting dressed in the mornings.

I know you said you didn't want to do laundry, but I think that's one of your best bets for packing light. DH insists on doing laundry one night halfway through our trip, and then the night before we leave. I always think he's crazy, until we get home and don't have mountains of laundry--we just unpack right into our dressers!

The time of year you're going could help, too. Summer clothes are a lot lighter than winter clothes. Our suitcases were busting at the seams b/c of winter coats, long pants and sweats, etc. (We hit a weird cold snap on our last trip.)

I've never done this, but I've heard that some people ship stuff to the resort before they arrive, via FedEx or UPS. Have no idea what that would cost...

I was going to suggest just taking one stroller for your 1 yo and renting at the world for the other 2, but then I saw their ages, and you want them in strollers at the airport ;)

I don't know, if I were you I would just take the bare minimum that you think you would need.

Actually, I don't know why I thought I could help you...I always pack WAY more than I need, just because I'm nuerotic. I've heard that packing light is possible, but it's not a feat I've accomplished. :blush:

Good luck...I'm sure someone will come along with better tips for you!

RockChalkKimball
05-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Pack only 5-6 days worth of clothes and sacrifice an afternoon at the pool to do laundry. While I don't enjoy it, I also hate lugging around so many suitcases. Are you renting a car or taking a town car? Might check and see if they can provide cars seats so you don't have to take them through the airport.

dtootsie42
05-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Pack only 5-6 days worth of clothes and sacrifice an afternoon at the pool to do laundry. While I don't enjoy it, I also hate lugging around so many suitcases.

I agree, I hate doing laundry while on vacation but we usually put one afternoon aside to lounge at the pool and do all our laundry. I rather do this then drag around extra luggage.

kakn7294
05-12-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm going to assume that because you are taking carseats you are renting a car - however, if you are not renting a car, you do not need those carseats as you cannot use them on Disney transportation, even DME. I assume that your airline said only 2 checked bags per person? I ask because Southwest allows 3 - and some others will allow additional bags for a fee. The ziplocks help with clothing coordination but I don't think they help with space in the luggage - I tried it last trip with underclothing and it didn't do much. I also tried rolling and it didn't seem to have much effect for me either (maybe I didn't do it right?). You could try SpaceBags or similar item - I haven't tried them myself. Don't forget about your carry-ons. You can pack clothing in them and send the toiletries in the checked bags. Just remember, most airlines charge for any bag over the size or weight limit (usually 50 lbs). Check with your airline again and be sure how many bags you can bring and if the seats and strollers count against.

merlinmagic4
05-12-2007, 07:28 AM
I have to agree with the posters suggesting doing laundry. It's easier for us because it is right in our condo but it makes it much easier to pack light!

Watch those big suitcases. Ours was overlimit on the way home and cost me 25.00 extra for 8 pounds!

We traveled with 1 large, 1 medium, and 1 very small (child size) suitcase for 5 people. We also had a stroller and a carseat. The thing I would limit is carry-ons. I found that to be the most complicating factor of our trip. Next time we are getting on the plane with ONE bag and that's it!

The other thing I am questioning is whether the baby items count as checked luggage? I have this thought that I read that they aren't. Does anyone know about that? You can gate check your strollers which would not count against your checked baggage, leaving you two more suitcases if you need or want them.

Have a great trip!

Jen66
05-12-2007, 07:29 AM
As mentioned before, definitely roll your clothes. It really makes a big difference in space (also less wrinkles). I also agree that you should probably do laundry once. If you do not want to do it, you can pay to have it done. It may seem kind of silly to pay to have your clothes just washed and dried, but we do it on vacation so we don't miss fun time. Compared to all the other vacation expenses it is not that expensive. Maybe you could have it done off-property during your other 5 days because laundromats are probably cheaper than WDW:D

faline
05-12-2007, 03:09 PM
And remember your checked luggage can be as big as you need it as long as it doesnt weigh more than 50lbs or else you will be paying for it.

Actually, most airlines also have limits on the size of the luggage you can check. Be sure to check the restrictons with your particuarl airline. Most often, you can easily find this information on the airline's web page.

angedeaile
05-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Ziplock bags are great..but something that helped me LOADS were these nifty packing bags that you can find at most stores like Walmart and Target.
They are in the luggage/travel section and surprisingly affordable.

They are like ziplocks in the sense that they are plastic and you seal them up.

The catch is that they are thicker, more durable and easier to release & keep the air out of.

On one end of the bags are a one way release seal, so when you roll them... poof. You have squished your clothes to take up only half the space it normally would in your suitcase.

I was able to pack a week worth of clothes into my small carry on, with all my valuables and odd and ends. I didn't even need to check anything when I got to the airport.

It was a lifesaver and..spacesaver.
Oh geez....I have turned into an infomercial!

PrincessEmmasMommy
05-13-2007, 08:14 AM
My suggestion is Space Bags. They compress a lot of stuff into a small space.
Also, when I have flown, they didn't count the strollers or car seats as luggage.
We have a car seat bag for ours and shove a lot of other things into the bag with the car seat. When DD was smaller, this was the perfect place for diapers and special toys and stuffed animals. In the winter this is the perfect place for coats.
Good luck and I'm sure you'll figure it out!
Jen

vamaggie
05-13-2007, 09:55 AM
I would also say to gate check the 2 strollers. They will not count them as checked luggage and you will be able to contain the kids in the airports (mine knew they got in at the car and don't get out til they board the plane!). I always make a list of what to pack, then lay everything out. I try to strategically pack so space is utilized to the best we can and don't worry that DS's socks are in with DD's shoes or my clothes end up in the 'kids' suitcase". Everyone's stuff goes into whatever bag it fits best in. I would also say to try to stop on the way from the airport to buy the bulky things (like diapers etc) rather than waste space if you are limiting bags. I would not try to use carry ones for stuff other than valuables, baby stuff and things for the plane--with kids out numbering adults you don't want to be monkeying with extra bags!! Good luck & ENJOY your trip!

TheRustyScupper
05-13-2007, 10:31 AM
1) We used to pack A LOT.
2) At times, one expected the camels for the caravan.
3) We used to wear out airport Recaps.
4) And Bellmen.
5) Now, we pack ONE carry-on each.
6) Works like a champ.
7) We have become WDW packing pros.

momof3boysinTN
05-13-2007, 03:09 PM
I didnt notice if you were renting a car and needed the carseats but you will not need them if you use DME so you oculd leave those behind. We took one once and it was such a hassel but if you are renting a car I know they would be a must. You can also use the darseats on the plane if you purchsed tickets for the kiddos. But again a real hassel becasue its another thing to carry on and keep up with.
Also I always wash clothes. I hate coming home with suit cases full of dirty laundry.

I have also found with my bigger kids they tend to want to wear what is comfortable so I stopped packing an outfit for everyday and let them carry what the feel comfortable in...another reason to wash clothes!!

We do check the stroller at the gate. Our son does as one poster said and he gets in the strooler when we arrive at the airport and stays in untill we board unless we have a good wait and then we let him run off some energy.

I would only recommed a couple of carryones maybe even backpacks so that you have your hands free for the children.

Good Luck and have a magical vacation!!:thumbsup:

DestinationWDW
05-13-2007, 03:14 PM
With little ones the ages you have, would sacrifice and do the laundry :laundry: ! At that age group I always pack extra outfits and used almost all of them! Never know when you'll end up with a leaky diaper, an exicited or scared child who :ack: or an especially messy treat! And it inevitably ends up covering mom and dad too! On our last trip my SIL brought the exact amount of outfits needed for my 2 year old nephew and he ended up with an undiagnosed food allergy.....he had problems coming out both ends.....My SIL ended up with an unexpected cash outflow of a new Disney wardrobe for him!!!! Another tip for you - those "toss away" bibs (I think Pampers makes them) are great! Have a great trip!!!:mickey:

princessjojo
05-13-2007, 03:30 PM
When we travel, we look like immigrants coming off of a boat. I think we have everything for every possible occasion. And we do laundry, too.

I agree with many and would say to bite the bullet and do laundry at least one day if not two. The one thing you have going for you is that since your children are still small, their clothes are smaller and take less room to pack. I would also agree with gate checking the strollers.

I saw that you were vacationing somewhere else or 5 days so I assume you will be renting a car/van. One thing to think about is that some car rental companies offer car seat with their rentals if needed. I would look into this as it would make your trip MUCH easier not having to drag around 3 car seats, and I say that with as much compassion as possible. I did 2 and it was a nightmare.

Still though, I think the laundry issue will be the biggest space saver option for that length of time.

Good luck and have a great time.

irish1967
05-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Maybe you could not bring the double stroller and rent one at the parks? That would give you two more bags for clothes!

jpH/keD
05-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Packing really isnt my thing so I love all this conversation! It helps me be more organized. I do have a question. Somewhere I printed a packing list w/ 3 million things on it that is somewhat helpful. One of the things listed was moleskin. What IS that? :confused: It sounds like something you try to get rid of like gout or a rash??? The list had in in the first aid supplies?? Any clues??

Mickey'sGirl
05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Maybe you could not bring the double stroller and rent one at the parks? That would give you two more bags for clothes!
I agree. We just flew down with DS9 and DS3....and did not take a stroller for DS3 (he will not sit in one). We rented a stroller for 8 days at the parks ($56 with a multi day rental)...it was tall and comfortable to push... and did not look like a stroller, so my 3 yr old WOULD ride in it (win win!) I'll bet your 3 and 4 yr olds could share one (they don't sit down for long at that age!) :D I think taking your own for your little one is a good idea though!
Laundry will be your saving grace, I think. I always do it on a pool outing so that it isn't as much of a chore! :laundry:
Good luck with everything! :thumbsup:

angedeaile
05-14-2007, 12:38 PM
....One of the things listed was moleskin. What IS that? :confused: ...

I think I used the same list last year...because I too was like, "What they hey is moleskin?!"

I found that they are bandages that are used to prevent blisters. It only works if you know where you will get blisters.

SO I just get blister band-aids and use them when I do get a blister. I don't get blisters often enough to see into the future.

doodleboy
05-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but car seats and strollers do not count toward you 2 bag per ticket total. Car seats are checked in at the counter and strollers are rolled right up to the gate and tagged. They will be given back to you as soon as you get off in Orlando. I travel with my two children every year in this fashion.