PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's dog have hip dysplasia?

murphy1
05-11-2007, 01:39 PM
I took my 7 yo Border Collie, Murphy, in for her Kennel Cough vaccine and she has been a little stiff so I told our tech about it. She is very active and does frisbee, runs with me, but she is getting older and has gained a little weight (she went from 40 lbs to 44 lbs in the last year or so. ) He wants to X-ray her before we go to Florida at end of the month and see if we can give her some meds for comfort. Anyone have advice or stories? Honestly, she is my great buddy and like a fourth daughter to me!

DVC2004
05-11-2007, 04:48 PM
I have only cats so I can't offer any advice , but I just wanted to say I'm sending some pixie dust for your girl!

GA girl
05-11-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a Toy Poodle who has Hip Dysplasia. He does not weight but about 4 pounds so it does not bother him very much. He was actually born without hip sockets. The vet said that the only thing to do was surgery to remove to ball from the femur bone then scar tissue would form and hold his leg in place. You would never know to look at him that anything was wrong with him. He runs a hundred miles a hour all over the back yard. He can also walk on his hands/front feet.
They said that this is very common in purebreed dogs because they are inbreed alot of the time. I did not know this when I purchased him, but once we brought him home he was part of the family.
We have not had the surgery yet, but will if it becomes painful for him. The only time that it ever seems to bother him is when it is really cold outside.
Good luck! and lots of pixie dust.

DizneyRox
05-12-2007, 06:04 AM
4lbs may not sound like much, but at 40lbs, it's a lot. That's a 10% weight gain, like someone going from 200 to 220.

Concentrate on shedding that 4lbs, it will help not only any hip problems, but other joint problems as well, which is critical for an aging dog.

Hip Dysplasia is not the end of the world. If you dog does have it, it sounds mild enough to treat with some medications to ease any pain. Rimadyl is often used. You may want to start Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements as well. Our dogs (85lbs at 8yrs and 4yrs) are on one 750mg/600mg a day, Dr. said we might need to up that as they get older.

It could also be arthritis as well... From what I understand, the treatment is much the same.

d_m_n_n
05-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Our beloved Golden Retriever has hip dysplasia and it is really taking a toll on him. He is huge (104 lbs.) and since he can't put all that weight on his back legs, his front legs are taking the strain. To help him, we give him joint medicine and also doggy aspirin. He will still act like a puppy (he loves taking rides in Daddy's truck and hunting), but after the fun he pays the price. Sadly, we are going to have to put him to sleep at the end of the month. We found out he has cancer and the vet suggested that with his condition and at his age (11 on May 31) we probably shouldn't try the surgery/chemo route. :(

DizneyRox
05-13-2007, 05:07 AM
... To help him, we give him joint medicine and also doggy aspirin. ...
I just want to send a word of caution (to anyone reading this), aspirin is aspirin, not ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Aspirin is OK for dogs, at least one of the later will damage your dog's stomach. Always check with your vet before giving a dog any kind of medication or supplement.

murphy1
05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
She is actually still within okay wt. range, as these dogs can be 35 to 45 lbs. so he was fine with that, but I do want to try the glucosamine, someone else mentioned it to me, too.
dmnn, I'm so sorry about your Golden. To be honest, if my pup gets to a really bad point, I am going to be in the same boat and just do comfort measures. I used to work for a vet and can tell when they just need to "go home".

Thanks everyone!

Stitchahula
05-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Mine doesn't have hip dysplasia but she does have really bad arthritis in her spine. On her really bad days she gets a doggie pain killer. She also gained a lot of weight quickly so that didn't help. We found out she has thyroid disease so she's now on meds for that and has dropped alot of the weight and it has helped alot. Have them check for that see if that explains the weight gain. My former grooming teacher had a dog with really bad hip dysplasia and she brought her dog to get acuupunture. She swore by it you would never know her dog had anything wrong. I hope it's just arthritis though it's so much easier to treat. Now that the warm weather is here let your dog go swimming to work off some of the weight but, don't over do it even though swimming won't put as much pressure on the joints they will still end up sore. Check with your vet about giving an asprin after any exercise. Good luck.

murphy1
05-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I dropped her at the Vet for the X-ray and it didn't look too bad, just some minor wear, but she is 7. Wants her to take it a little easier and such. Is giving me some meds for her and said the Glucosamine would be good for her too, I am so relieved, she is going to the Pet Hotel this weekend where she always goes when we go away, so she will get some TLC and rest there and I am not so worried about her. Thanks for the advice!