PDA

View Full Version : Ohana or Boma

mpoppinsgirl
05-10-2007, 06:14 PM
My Monica ;), DH, and Monica's DH are going to WDW in December and we are currently trying to plan our meals. We have heard good and bad reviews. Which one is better for dinner: Ohana or Boma?? :lei: :chef:

GenieOfPA
05-10-2007, 06:26 PM
i can't be of great help since i have actually never been to Boma, but i CAN say that O'hanas is my favorite restaurant in all of WDW! the food and atmosphere there is simply amazing! and a tip: try to find out what day you would want to go to O'hanas and then find out what time Wishes will be playing in MK that night. make your dining ressie for about an hour before the fireworks start. O'hanas looks out over the 7 seas lagoon right at MK and offers a brilliant view of the fireworks! its a great addition to a great meal! they even play the music over the restaurants PA that is played when you are watching Wishes.

tinksmom02
05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm not going to be much help, either, as we're eating at both on our next trip! I've heard very good things about both, and I think the consensus is that each is wonderful in its own respect.

Disney Doll
05-11-2007, 07:40 AM
We ate at both in Feb. I would highly recommend either, but if you can only do one I'd choose Ohana. Also, if you have any picky eaters Ohana might be the safer choice. There will be plenty of foods at Boma that a picky eater could be happy with, but sampling all the exotic dishes is half the fun. You'll be happy with either choice.

pox24
05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Both are super places to eat, however its no contest... O'Hanas.

illini
05-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I always hate to post this, but I did NOT like Boma. I found it to be quite bland and not particularly indicative of the African food I've had elsewhere.
I'd go with 'Ohana. I'm not a meat fan, but the appetizers, salad, and dessert are yummy! It's also a more fun atmosphere and *much* easier to get to.

Disnamic Duo
05-11-2007, 09:53 AM
These are 2 of our favorite restaurants at WDW. Both VERY good choices - you can't go wrong with either.

I'd say if you LOVE meat, go with 'Ohana. If you don't LOVE meat, go with Boma. Not that the meat is bad at Boma - it's not - it's actually very good. It's just that you get meat, meat, meat at 'Ohana (fine with this carnivore).

At Boma, you'll get a much wider selection of things, with a little different flare than you may have ever had (African spices/not hot).

Another consideration: Boma is a buffet - you go up and get in lines at different "stations" to get your food. 'Ohana is "family style" - waiters bring your food to your table. They'll bring as much as you want. You may prefer to stay seated and be waited on, or you may like the buffet where you never have to wait for what you want, but you have to get it yourself.

I hope you enjoy whichever you choose.

BigRedDad
05-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Boma and Ohana's are awesome for dinner. Boma has many traditional African dishes to choose from, but they also have many American dishes as well. Boma does not have any audience participation events like Ohana's. Basically, you go to Boma for a nice atmosphere and to eat great food. Ohana's has food that is equally as good as Boma. There seems to be less of a menu at Ohana's because it is not a buffet like Boma. However, they bring the food straight to your table on huge skewers from the firepit.

You will not be disappointed at which one you choose. If at all possible, try to do both. They are both very much worth it.

ThanxForNoticin
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Absolutely the two restaurants at the top of our list. Awesome food and excellent service - plus a lot of fun. I'd recommend eating at both! As posted above, whichever one you choose is a good choice. You can do the other on a future trip. Enjoy.

Beckybalz
05-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I have eaten at both and although I enjoy them both, if I could only pick one I would choose Boma.

Disney4
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
O'Hana's food is nothing special, and the service is just so-so. I have eaten there three times and found that to be consistent.

Boma, on the other hand, has been wondelful each time I've eaten there. Keep in mind however, this is not your typical Disney fare. The food is quite different from what you might be expecting. It is, however, the best food I've eaten non-ala carte at the World.

From the deep-fried Oreos to the Pepper Pot Soup, you can't go wrong with Boma.

Suz36
05-11-2007, 02:59 PM
We ate at both on our last trip, and both were excellent. If you have any picky eaters, Ohana is the way to go. My mother-in-law has digestive problems, and even she ate great there, probably the best she has in years! And my 2 picky-eater kids both stuffed themselves! Boma was much more adventurous, but equally delicious. If you go this route, definitely try the carrot soup - yum!!!

baby minnie's mommy
05-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I've eaten at both and would definitely return to both! 'Ohana I would pick first, though. Windows look out over lake and MK, love the family atmosphere with the games, etc., and enjoy having the food brought to me. :) Also like the monorail access.
I love trying new foods, too, which Boma has a great selection of. It also has plenty of "regular" food, and an awesome dessert selection! The windows at Boma look out onto the lush path to the pool (no animal views).

Disdad13
05-11-2007, 04:30 PM
We ate at both places on our last trip and, if you could do both, I would suggest you do, simply because they are so different and each is good in it's own, unique way. However, if you can only do one, I would DEFINITELY choose Ohanas. We think it is the best food (and value) at DW!

SBETigg
05-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I've been to 'Ohana and loved it. We're trying Boma on our next trip. I don't know which is better but I am really looking forward to exploring the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

The good thing about 'Ohana, besides the food and atmosphere, is that you can eat at a time that allows you to catch the Electric Water Pageant and Wishes from the beach. Both good choices. You won't regret either one, I think.

luvdiznee
05-11-2007, 07:30 PM
BOMA all the way!

mpoppinsgirl
05-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Thank you for all of your advice. They both sound great. Hopefully we can try to do both, if not I think it might be O'hanas. I like the idea of being able to see the fireworks from there. Monica is choosing, but I think she is leaning towards that choice. I know that one place that we have to eat is LeCellier steakhouse. I LOVE IT!!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
We've been to both and I prefer O'hana's. Boma's was good, but I was more comfortable with the familiar food at O'hana's.
And I can't wait to eat at LeCellier's too. I haven't eaten there before.

LandFan
05-12-2007, 07:39 PM
I've eaten at both. We like BOMA - great ambiance and great food! O'hana's is good, but we just LOVE BOMA and walking around the lodge.