PDA

View Full Version : Disney in December!

Volksjager
05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
We are booked for this December (2-14), since we have never been in December we are looking forward to an extra-special time.

Do you have any 'must do' things for this time of year? Anything specific I should be looking out for?

Thanks!
:snowman:

Jeri Lynn
05-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Enjoy all the Christmas decorations. Consider going to the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party that is held in the Magic Kingdom.

Make sure you have some warm clothes in case it gets cold out, the weather can be warm or cold that time of year!

Enjoy, the decorations are beautiful!

Speedy1998
05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Candle Light Processional
Illuminations (They usually do a Holiday addition that adds about 10 Minutes)
Osborne Family Lights.

Strmchsr
05-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Check out the "Holidays" section in Info Central for lots of good ideas.

GrmGrninGost
05-10-2007, 02:53 PM
:congrats: I wil recommend MVMCP. It is so much fun!!:mickey: It is well worth the extra money to attend! Also, don't miss the Osborne Family Lights at MGM, the special Illuminations at Epcot and the Candlelight Processional at Epcot! They are all very good!:thumbsup:

On another note, bring warm clothes. NOT light jackets! We were at WDW the first week of Dec. 2006. First couple of days were 80 or so. Then a cold front moved in. We had all our heavy winter coats, scarves, gloves, etc. and still almost froze at night! Don't think this happen regularly, but be prepared! We had packed everything from t-shirts and shorts on up and wound up using it all!

mickey-mouse35
05-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Oh, you're going at a great time of year!
Definitely DO NOT miss the Osborne lights at MGM, the candlelight processional at Epcot and Illuminations. We did the dinner deal with candlelight processional, which was fun. Also, if you can, visit as many of the resorts as possible, especially the deluxe resorts. The decorations and trees are fabulous, and you can't miss the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian. I especially liked the teepees on the tree at Wilderness Lodge and the mardi gras type decorations at Port Orleans. Each one has a theme. Main Street is beautiful too, with wreaths/garlands hung down the middle. I agree with the above poster on what to bring. It's sunny/shorts weather in the day but nippy in the early morning and cold at night. We had coat, gloves, hat, etc. and still froze our tails off when waiting for Illuminations--I think it got down to 36 that night--first week of December a few years ago. Have fun!

mpoppinsgirl
05-10-2007, 06:29 PM
We went last year and we are going back this year. I loved the MVMCP. We have already gotten our tickets for this year!!! YAY!! We are going to do the Candlelight Processional also. And you should really see the Osbourne Specticle of Lights. It is awesome. One thing that was my absolute favorite last year was the Christmas Tree Lighting at EPCOT. I still get teary eyed just thinking about it...Amazing!!:santa3:

mickeys_princess_mom
05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh, you're going at a great time of year!
Definitely DO NOT miss the Osborne lights at MGM,
Absolutely! Unbelievable!!!
Also check out the "Santas" from around the world in Epcot....

Mickey91
05-11-2007, 12:35 AM
MVMCP, Osbourne Family Spectacle of Lights, Illuminations, tree lighting ceremonies at MK and EPCOT, all the parades, check out the gingerbread houses, the Christmas around the world is neat, you meet different "Santas" and traditions. Also, WL has a sleigh ride. It is very nice.

Be aware that it is Dec. and can still get very cold. We had on shorts one day and winter coats and gloves the next.

All in all, it was beautiful and we will definitely go back at that time one year.

Harriet
05-11-2007, 04:58 AM
I went last year just after Thanksgiving and the year before the second week of December. This is a great time to go.Just be sure and pack for both warm and cold weather. My must do are MVMCP,Osbourn Lights,Candlelight Processional,Wishes Cruise I like this one better then Illumination Cruise,Winter Lights,and be sure and tour the resorts for all the wonderful decorations. Also if time permits stop at each country for the Santa story times.

DisneyorBust
05-12-2007, 02:10 PM
MVMCP:santa:
Holiday Illuminations
Santa at each World Showcase Pavillion:santa2:
Osboune Family Lights
CandleLight Processional
Decorations in each theme park
If you have time, check out the decorations at each resort. The gingerbread house at The Grand Floridian is fantastic!
Have a great time in WDW!:mickey:

mickey-mouse35
05-12-2007, 02:53 PM
I forgot to mention how much we love the holiday version of Country Bear Jamboree--too cute!! :santa3: :deer:

faline
05-12-2007, 03:13 PM
I forgot to mention how much we love the holiday version of Country Bear Jamboree--too cute!! :santa3: :deer:

I believe they did not transition to the Christmas version this past holiday. I don't know what they'll be planning for this year.

skisurf2
05-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Great time to go, however very crowded.

faline
05-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Great time to go, however very crowded.

I've never found early to mid-December to be very crowded. It's my favorite time to be at Disney World.

Strmchsr
05-15-2007, 07:56 AM
I believe they did not transition to the Christmas version this past holiday. I don't know what they'll be planning for this year.

My understanding is that they've done away with the Christmas version for good.

As Faline noted, the exact dates you're going have been growing more crowded in recent years, but they are still only moderate crowds at most. Possibly skisurf2 was referring to Christmas week.

debandbub
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
We've gone a few times in the beginning of December (two birthdays to celebrate that week!), and it really is a great time to go (although, like a previous poster said- the secret is out and the crowds are picking up a bit) We still didn't wait too long for rides, though. What not to miss...definitely the Osborne Spectacle of Lights, and the holidays around the world at Epcot. Also- for the nightlife--the Christmas show at Adventurer's Club was HYSTERICAL this past year. And, if you have a day where you're not visiting the parks, do some resort hopping, and check out the decorations at each resort. They really look beautifully themed.

DisneyNut2005
07-10-2007, 09:24 PM

As I just stated in another thread, the real reason why the CBJ holiday overlay didn't happen last year was because they needed to re-clear certain copyrights for some of the songs used in the show, particularly for "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", and they couldn't obtain them on time. It's not because of cost or attendance as some other sources proclaim.

So, the CBJ Xmas show IS returning this year.

As a matter of fact, the Rudolph song was cut out of "Celebrate the Season" and "Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas" this past year, due to the same copyright issues that caused the Bears' Xmas show to get cancelled for that year.