PDA

View Full Version : To the Philadelphia folks (cheesesteaks)

DisneyDog
05-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi all! I don't want to turn this into the great cheesesteak debate:) However, I am meeting some folks for cheesesteaks next week. They are from the western part of the country, and I am totally a suburban girl. They are staying at the Comfort Inn on Columbus Blvd (they are coming in for the Tut exhibit). They want to go for cheesesteaks, but won't have a car. They can either walk or take the bus.

I figure either Pat's or Jim's, but I'm up for suggestions if there is someplace closer to their hotel that's good.

I'll be coming from the western suburbs. I am not a city driver and I don't parallel park (hey, you don't need to parallel park in the suburbs!!). I want to go someplace that won't be a disaster for me to park. I'll probably be meeting them at the steak place.

Anyone have any suggestions??

PirateLover
05-10-2007, 12:12 PM
If they are staying in the Comfort Inn, Jim's Steaks at 4th and South would be the closest for walking purposes. It's not just around the corner, but it's doable. If you are going in the afternoon then it should be easier for you to find parking around the area. **You should be prepared to parrallel park here if you don't want to pay ridiculous lot rates.

You can take Columbus Blvd straight down to Oregon Ave, make a right, and go to Tony Lukes. They probably wouldn't be able to walk it unless they are accustomed to walking long distances, but if you were to offer to pick them up there is almost always a place to pull over around there. (and a good chance you won't have to parallel park, but I can't promise. We usually pull over along the sidewalk under the I-95 overpass)

Geno's and Pat's would be the hardest to get to. They are on 9th street where it crosses with Wharton/Passyunk. Parking can be a nightmare and walking is out.

As far as public transportation I'm not sure. I gave up on SEPTA awhile ago and I know they recently changed some of the routes around here. They do have a website but the route finder always seemed to give me goofy directions and I don't have the patience to look at all the routes myself.

Good luck!

Figgyluv03
05-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm not big on cheesesteaks but when I'm in the mood for one, I want to go to Pat's. I know it's a bit away from where they are staying and parking isn't always the easiest especially after concert and games let out or the clubs close, but I say Pat's all the way. Then there's always Gino's across the street, but I'm a Pat's girl.:thumbsup:

crazykids
05-10-2007, 12:42 PM
I would vote for Jim's. Not to far away & I prefer them to Pat's.

As the OP mentioned, Tony Lukes is pretty good, but you would have to consider the distance (I've never had any problems parking here)

Figgyluv03
05-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I completely forgot about Tony Lukes. I have only been there once a few years ago before a Linkin Park concert. They have pretty good food too.

BrerSchultzy
05-10-2007, 03:22 PM
It has been a while since I had a great Philly cheesesteak (as I have entered the land of Biscuits and Gravy), but I do remember being very partial to Jim's.

However, if this is their only chance to have a genuine Philly Cheesesteak....then I have to say find a way to get to Pat's. There's nothing else in the world like it (but make sure to give them the primer on how to order).

DisneyDog
05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
HA! I don't even know if I could do it correctly. I have visions of the soup nazi...or in this case, the cheesesteak nazi -- "no cheesesteak for you" because you didn't say wit onions!

Jimenyfan
05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
It has been a while since I had a great Philly cheesesteak (as I have entered the land of Biscuits and Gravy), but I do remember being very partial to Jim's.

However, if this is their only chance to have a genuine Philly Cheesesteak....then I have to say find a way to get to Pat's. There's nothing else in the world like it (but make sure to give them the primer on how to order).

Yeah Steve we dont find many good cheesesteaks here in greenville. Before I moved here from South Jersey I was partial to Pats.

PrincessEmmasMommy
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Pats is the only way to go. Worth the trip and frustration with parking, etc.
Good luck!
Jen

Marilyn Michetti
05-10-2007, 08:09 PM
AHHHHHHHH......the memories. When I was stationed at the Phila. Naval Hosp., a bunch of us would walk to Pat's, (or was it Gino's), for cheesesteaks, or take the D bus and somehow get to 9th St. - the Italian Mkt.

After we were married, we lived in East Falls and would go to Delasandro's in Roxborough.

Oh, yum !!!!:tasty:

GenieOfPA
05-11-2007, 12:20 AM
pats or tony lukes would be my vote for the best steaks in proximity, but steves in the northeast is m favorite. thats a biut of a hike from columbus though...

Figgyluv03
05-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah Steve we dont find many good cheesesteaks here in greenville. Before I moved here from South Jersey I was partial to Pats.

Pat's must be a South Jersey thing. All my friends and family choose Pat's over anything else!

DizneyRox
05-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Pat's is really the best choice IMHO.

DisneyDog
05-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Well, I figured I would let you all know how the evening worked out. It was quite complicated to plan, but it all worked out in the end.

I ended up driving, thanks to my magical GPS. One friend met me at my house (another was sick, who was supposed to ride from my house), another, coming from Harrisburg, met us at the King of Prussia Plaza. We hit a lot of traffic on I-76, but made it there exactly when I predicted, at 6pm on Thursday. We parked at the hotel, and it was only $9.00 for the evening, and we took the hotel's shuttle directly to Jim's Steaks (and they picked us up there afterwards too). The folks staying at the hotel were from Oregon, and had never ever tasted a cheesesteak before :eek: . They now understand what all of the fuss was about, and thought that it was definitely worth it. We had a really great evening, and I'm wanting a cheesesteak right now as I type this message!! (lucky for me, there are about 50 places around here where I can get a decent one!!)

Thanks for your help, everyone!!

SteveL
05-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Next time, try a John's roast pork sandwich with sharp provolone. They're in a little shack behind the Lowes on Columbus Blvd. Gotta go there in the daytime though.

mrsHerbie53
05-21-2007, 06:14 PM
When in the area of the Reading Market, I've had Rick's. How do you all feel about that one???

I need to expand my cheesesteak horizons for sure, but I will say that several years ago I had a FABULOUS one from a street vendor!! PERFECT cheeeezzzzzzeeee! Ah, how I wish I had one now!!!

There are nutbags in central PA putting Cheeze Whiz on theirs....:ack:

DisneyDog
05-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh, they will put cheese wiz on them in Philly too. Really not so odd.

I would never get one outside of the Delaware Valley, though. I once had one at a food festival in Naples, Florida. They really don't have a clue down there. It was filet mignon on a hard roll. Now, the filet was tasty, but it was NOT a cheesesteak (and they called it "Philly cheesesteak"). Totally wrong roll as well. Clueless!!!