PDA

View Full Version : Value: Is POP or All-Star Best?

disneyvivi1980
05-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Good morning everyone!

On my two (2) most recent trips to the World, I stayed at Fort Wilderness (and I camped).

Now, there are fairly good odds that I will be going at the end January 2008. I will be staying at a Value.

Now, which one do you recommend best and why.

Lucille
05-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I have enjoyed both resorts but Pop is my favorite. I prefer the choices at the food court.

angedeaile
05-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Get ready to hear nothing but POP!

I personally have posted and have read TONS of other posts with this exact question...and the majority of Intercotees say POP. That is why I chose that value for my next stay!

Typically, the reasons are...

Pop has it's own busses. All 3 All-Stars share busses.
SO, with Pop, you have less stops. That rhymed!

Another is the food courts. If you compare the menus, there are some awesome differences. Where else can you get frozen cokes?! OH and don't forget the tye dye cheesecake. I can't wait for those :)

And finally, Pop is newer. I have heard that it isn't as wore down as the All-Stars tend to be.

GrmGrninGost
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
We have stayed at all three All-Stars and POP. I would definitely go POP!:mickey: Nothing wrong with All-Stars, but POP is newer, has a better food court, bus service is better and I like the theming better!:thumbsup:

Pipalotta
05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
We will be going in January as well and if we can get a room we will be getting one at POP. Ive stayed at both POP and ASMu and POP is much better.

The food court is better.

The buses are just for one hotel and you seem to be a little bit more centralized as far as location goes.

It is newer but the rooms still arent any bigger. And all the stuff from the different decades is pretty neat.

Even though we were in the 90s building which is about the fartest building from the main, it seemed like it was alot shorter of a walk then to the Rock building at ASMu.

Lucyrella
05-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Can you all tell me more about Pop? I love hearing about the food, and the cheesecake sounds very interesting, but what about the room itself, size, locations, bathroom layout, and the other things to do. Like the waterjet playground, and other amenities. We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and we would like to know what they might like at this resort. Also would like to know which part is the best for the smaller kids, walking doesn't bother us, but we do want to sleep at night, the parents need to be able to recharge for the next day ahead. Thank so much,

disneyvivi1980
05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Well, it seems like the Pop would be my best option from the comments I read here.

Now, onto my second question: which building is best without being a prefered?

Thank you again all Intercotees :)

DisneyMomma23
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
when we stayed at pop in jan 2006, we had a room on the 4th floor of the 50's building and loved it. you had the bowling pin pool close by and we never had a late night noise problem, plus we could see part of illuminations at night from the balconies. the 50's building also isn't a very far walk from the food court/bus stops.

DisneyMomma23
05-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Can you all tell me more about Pop? I love hearing about the food, and the cheesecake sounds very interesting, but what about the room itself, size, locations, bathroom layout, and the other things to do. Like the waterjet playground, and other amenities. We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and we would like to know what they might like at this resort. Also would like to know which part is the best for the smaller kids, walking doesn't bother us, but we do want to sleep at night, the parents need to be able to recharge for the next day ahead. Thank so much,

the size of the rooms at pop isn't huge but adequate, there is room for 2 full beds, a dresser/tv stand, and a table with 2 chairs. then on the back wall is a sink/vanity and an open closet. the bathroom is just a shower/tub and the toilet. as far as other things to do around the resort with the kids all that comes to mind is the waterjet playground, the pools and walking the grounds looking at the different icons. when we stayed at pop we were in the 50's building and it was pretty peaceful even though we were close by the bowling pin pool it was never loud or noisy at night.
we love the POP b/c when we vacation at disney the only reason for the hotel is to sleep and shower, we spend majority of the day at the parks so we feel it wouldn't be worth the extra money to stay at a mod or deluxe.

Bringonthemouse!
05-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Now, onto my second question: which building is best without being a prefered?

When we stayed at Pop we were in the 50's section, 4th floor with a fantastic view of EPCOT's Spaceship Earth. (back of the building that has the giant Jukebox in front). We could see the fireworks from Illuminations at night and nothing could beat waking up in the morning, looking out the window and seeing Spaceship Earth. We will definately be requesting this view again for our upcoming trip to the World!!!

Mickey91
05-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Pop!!:mickey: :thumbsup:

Pipalotta
05-10-2007, 11:59 PM

I sent you a link to the site I found pretty helpful.

pox24
05-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Never stayed at AllStars but I picked a client up there and it reminded me of a giant ant farm. What a rat race or ant race. I saw the room and it was definetly no frills. Pop on the other hand reminded me of almost a moderate or upraded value. We stayed one night while passing through and thougth it was ok.

Lucyrella
05-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks to all for the positive feedback, the link that Pippalotta sent was just what I was looking for. It answered all of my questions, and I think we will be fine there. With 2 small children, I will request the 50's section, it seems to be the best layed out for parking and such.

:mickey:

Leaving in like 112 days I think....

Pipalotta
05-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks to all for the positive feedback, the link that Pippalotta sent was just what I was looking for. It answered all of my questions, and I think we will be fine there. With 2 small children, I will request the 50's section, it seems to be the best layed out for parking and such.

:mickey:

Leaving in like 112 days I think....

Im glad you found it helpful! We are like 238 days away from our trip to POP, hopefully it will go fast for both of us!!

AdventurerKim
05-12-2007, 09:29 AM
We love POP and have stayed there three times now and will stay a fourth time in 188 days. We love the atmosphere and the mix of music. We like the 1950's buildings best, although we've only stayed there and the 80's. While we grew up in the 80's, the buildings were too far away from everything. The best part about POP is...ONE BUS STOP!!! :number1:

wilshade
05-13-2007, 09:17 AM
I have stayed at Pop twice and at a moderate once. I liked Pop better than the moderate!

Firstly, its a value resort where you can get a "water view" room! Many rooms overlook Hourglass Lake and surprisingly, not all of these are listed as "preferred" rooms.

The 60's building is the closest to Classic Hall. But, there is something to be said for each of the other buildings.

You can see the Epcot fireworks from the rear of the 50's building. The 80's and 90's are much quieter, but are farthest from Classic Hall.

If you like an early morning walk . . this is a great resort! A walk through the property will take you by all of the big icons, and many more subtle things like the perma- Twister game! Wont tell ya where it is. The fun is in finding it.

Pop also has the best ice cream counter of the values. I know many who have stayed at All-Stars and have made a special trip to Pop for that.

Oh . . and if you order pizza for delivery to your room . . make sure you step outside and see the delivery vehicle. ;)

LudwigVonDrake
05-13-2007, 11:40 AM
My suggestion is to stay at Pop. I stayed there in 2004 and LOVED it. The bus service is more efficient and a little more centrally located. All-Star Movies is a close second based on Theming alone :smickey:

DizneyFreak2002
05-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Pop... it is nicer, newer, better themed, and cleaner....

dumbo ears
05-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Pop

TheMartellFamily
05-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I am sorry but I can not comment on the AS facilities but I can talk all you want about POP. We have stayed here a total of 4 times and each time we have stayed at a different location. We have not stayed in the Preferred 60's, but the 50, 70, 80, 90 buildings we have. The way the resort is set up it really is not that far for anything in any directions. Even the 90's which are the farthest away is only less than a 5 minute stroll to the bus stop and food court. the 70's have the playground and splash area and closest to food court and bus stops without paying preferred prices. 50's has the bowling pin pool and laundry facility. 80's and 90's has the computer pool and laundry facility. We love POP. The rooms in all theses resorts are the smallest but we believe that we only are in to sleep so we do not need all the extra ammenities that you pay for in the other resorts. It truly is a great resort in the way of value and will keep staying here as long as possible.

snifflesmcg
05-13-2007, 02:12 PM
I stayed at POP and All Star Music and I do like POP better. It's a bit newer, better themed and only one bus stop. The rooms in both are pretty generic but all in all, it's cute. The only thing I didn't like about POP as much is.....it seemed like the bus stop were further away if you stayed in the back. Not great if you have foot problems.

mttafire
05-13-2007, 03:09 PM
IMHO, You CANT beat All Star Movies. to us it IS the best value resort. It is soo much more Disney than pop. :thumbsup: POP is nice, We just like movies better.

LandFan
05-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Definitely Pop!:thumbsup: I can't live without those frozen cokes - especially when you come back hot and worn out from the parks!!

Mikey Piano 23
05-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Awesome my girlfriend and I are staying at Pop in August. Cant wait! :mickey: :mickey: :mickey:

pawshoney
05-15-2007, 08:42 AM
hello.my name is hayley and we are going to disney in october for the first time..am i staying at an okay resort.the movie is what we booked.and is there any more info for first timers?

wilshade
05-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Haley! Welcome to the boards!

All-Star Movies is a good choice. We're just expressing personal preferences here. While I prefer POP, I wouldnt dismiss AS Movies out of hand.

AS Movies has its own theming and is just as interesting in its own right. A friend of mine has stayed at AS Movies 14 out of 20 visits to WDW. can't get a better testimonial than that.

Enjoy your vacation!

Dizneyfan
06-30-2007, 10:44 PM
I have never stayed at POP before. I love the ASM resort. I think that it just has a great disney feel to it. I'm sure that POP is great but with two young kids they can associate all of the big icons from their beloved disney movies.:mickey:

Mickey26
07-01-2007, 12:35 AM
I've read on some other boards that the walls are very thin and you can hear all the surrounding noise while in your room. Is that true?? I would love to give Pop a try, but my friend is concerned about the noise.
Thanks. :mickey:

Mommy2boys
07-01-2007, 09:33 AM
We will also be going in Jan 2008 and have decided on Pop.

Lorraine444
07-01-2007, 10:04 AM
This is what I've requested, but everyone seems to say the 50's? should I change?
I've already paid in full for preferred can I get a refund?