PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #25

King Triton
05-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Wow, we're a quarter of the way thru this already.

Today we go to the Magic Kingdom and the original deluxe monorail resorts. Which do you prefer:

Contemporary Resort
Polynesian Resort

Y100Q26 will appear in Dining, most likely on Friday.

mook3y
05-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Just love the theming of the Poly!

Now if they would just figure out a way to stop the erosion and turn back on the wave machines!

DDuck66
05-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I voted for the Poly even though I have not stayed there. The last time I had ressies for the Poly, they ended up moving us to the CR due to some overbooking. We enjoyed the view from the MK tower room but I have always loved the POLY.

Tynkerbelle
05-10-2007, 09:17 AM
I grew up staying at the Poly - it will always have a special place in my heart! :tikki:

princessjojo
05-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Hands down, there is no comparison! It must be the Polynesian. When a side by side comparison to the Contemorary, the Poly is the epitomy of Deluxe. I know there are those who love the Contemporary, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all. To each his own I guess.

BigRedDad
05-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I went Polynesian in general. However, if I could get one of those Tower rooms facing MK near the top, that would be it for CR.

darthmacho
05-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Great job on 1/4 of the way to your 100!

Thanks a lot, by the way, because for the past three or four weeks, Ive spent my mornings hanging around the computer, waiting for these YOOHQ posts to appear! :surf:

I've visited both, and have had meals in each. It's not that I dislike the Contemporary, in fact I love it, and I think if any one resort defines WDW, it is that. Nevertheless, the Poly has the better theming and is incredibly gorgeous. Probably the most popular resort and the prices reflect that too!

I think this will be a landslide, because I think everyone loves the tropical setting of Poly. :lei: :papple: :tikki:

Tygger7
05-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I've always wanted to go to Hawaii, but will NOT get on a plane...so the Polynesian is the next best thing for me. :mickey: Never had the pleasure of actually staying there, but we always go over for a visit to experience the tropical atmosphere. It's just a beautiful, welcoming place...HIGHLY recommend.:papple:

biodtl
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I'd happily take either, but I had to vote for Poly, because of the theming. It has such an island vacation feeling, and the food is great.

As a child, I was fascinated by the monorail going through the CR and my kids would be, too, but that would wear off quickly.

c&d
05-10-2007, 09:44 AM
I chose the Polynesian, it's the only deluxe we've never stayed at and I can't wait to stay there.

I've never been over impressed with the Contemporary, just not my style. I just don't get the "Disney feel" when I'm there.

Spaceship Tigger
05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
I've never thought much of the theme of the Contemporary. The garden wings are really unappealing and the tower rooms are overpriced. We're heading for the Poly for the first time in a few months and can't wait.

k_reile
05-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I have never stayed at either one. I have visited PR but I think the monorail going through CR is pretty cool...that is why I choose CR.:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
05-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Obviously for us its the Poly, theming, theming, theming. :mickey: I can stay at a CR type hotel almost anywhere but a Poly type is harder to find. :number1:

Mickey91
05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
We haven't stayed at the CR yet, but I can't imagine spending that much money and being at the Poly! It is beautiful!!! Very relaxing!! We do want to stay at CS sometime. My DS is hoping it will be soon!!

Rodders
05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I do like to buck trends :thedolls:

I voted for the contemporary.

I have to say that the Poly looks a whole lot nicer but I have always dreamt of staying at the CR. The Contemporary is iconic and is something that I have admired since I was a very young child. When I see the monorail gliding in it screams Disney to me. It's one of my first ever Disney memories from the TV adverts in the UK in the 80s. We Brits tend to holiday for 2 weeks so if I did stay there I would probably have to move back to POP after a couple of nights because I personally can't justify the extra expense for a room and hotel that I am hardly in.

BrerSchultzy
05-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Now, if the question were 1985 Contemporary versus todays Polynesian...I'd have a hard time thinking about it. But the new Contemporary just seems too...I don't know...impersonal...UNDisney...

Give me the Contemporary with a beach, the old Food and Fun Center, and a quick hop over to Discovery Island...now THAT was a great resort.

2Epcot
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
I've stayed at each resort, and it was tough for me. There are things I really like about both of them. The Contemporary was the very first Disney resort I stayed at WDW. I stayed at the Polynesian on my last visit. The theming of the Poly is great, and I love the landscaping. The Contemporary always feels like WDW to me. I love that the monorail comes right inside. My vote went to the Poly, but only by a little bit.

Mom2princesses
05-10-2007, 11:49 AM
:lei: I voted for the Poly. I just love it there. My first stay at WDW was at the Comtemporary too. It does have sentimental value since my mom took us there. But, the Poly is home for my family and I just love it. The atmosphere just takes you away! :tikki:

DizNee143
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
i have never stayed at either resort..but i voted for the contemporary...because that is my dream resort..and i will eventually get to stay there one day!!! :mickey:

Figgyluv03
05-10-2007, 12:22 PM
I'd like to say both, but my dream has always been to stay at the Contemporary. If I had the money though, I'd do a week Contemp and a week Poly!

Belle--86
05-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I nener stayed at either -- that will change in July, because where staying one week at the Poly.:tikki: I feel the Poly has better theming and since this is the first time at Deluxe resort, will be spoiled and become our favorite place to stay.

GrmGrninGost
05-10-2007, 02:15 PM
I have to vote Poly.:mickey: It is so beautiful! We have stayed there and loved it! On the other hand, I can't wait to stay at CR! We have eaten there often, and I think it's a really cool place.:thumbsup: Don't think anyone could be too upset staying at either!

avantgardeinker
05-10-2007, 02:21 PM
We've never stayed in either, but we've explored both resorts and the Polynesian's decor and theming way out weighs the Contemporary. There's such a nice, relaxed feel to it. If we had to choose it would be the Polynesian hands down!!

210 more days!!
:mickey:

TIdoubleGR
05-10-2007, 02:39 PM
From the time I was 7 and first saw the monorail go *through* the Contemporary, I swore that I was going to stay there if I ever got to WDW. It'll always have a special spot to me (always have to visit). However, I've grown to appreciate the amazing theming at the Poly so much that now I'm swearing the first time I stay in a deluxe, it's going to be that one.

Had to vote Poly, but Contemporary is a very very close second.

The 1,000th Happy Haunt
05-10-2007, 02:48 PM
I voted for CR! Growing up that was where I always wanted to stay (we were always in Fort Wilderness). It's the #2 resort I want to stay at just behind WL!

January-2007
05-10-2007, 03:12 PM
I voted for the Contemporary Resort. I always dreamed of staying there when I was a kid. I've been to Hawaii, but I've never been to the future...

Crow
05-10-2007, 03:16 PM
cant afford either and have never stayed, but like the Poly theme. and the Lapulapu.

dumbo ears
05-10-2007, 04:35 PM
i voted for contemporary because even though I haven't stayed at either hotel I like contemporary better.

Kairi_7378
05-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Another tough question! We haven't stayed at either and swore that we'd eventually save enough $ to stay at the Poly. Loved the theming. However, when we went to the CA Grill, DH fell in love with the architecture of the CR. He said that it would be like staying at Epcot. I guess our optimal trip would include both resorts with a switch in the middle. :cloud9:

denygold
05-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Poly seems quite nice, but we are left coastees, and can get to Hawaii just as fast as Fla.. Besides - how can you top the monorail thru the lobby ?

SodaPopMGK
05-10-2007, 07:50 PM
I had to vote for Poly, my husband and sons love it as much as I do, I just find it very relaxing, it really gives me that feeling that I have escaped from the real world.

dtootsie42
05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
We have stayed at both the Poly and the Contemporary. We love the theming of the Poly, it is simply wonderful!

tinksmom02
05-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Haven't had the dough to stay at either, but Poly is on my must-do list!

BritCody
05-11-2007, 06:44 AM
This is another question where I like both but my preference would be with the Polynesian

Bethanymouse
05-11-2007, 07:03 AM
It isnt just the tropical feel that sets the Polynesian apart from the other deluxe resorts it is the feeling that you get when you walk through there doors. It is like they were waiting for you to arrive the entire time! And who can deny that great disney lobby smell! Talk about magic!:tikki:

4ubie1
05-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Another vote for the POLY :tikki: I love the tropical atmosphere...all i can say is heavenly :cloud9:

WDWfeelslikehome
05-12-2007, 07:18 AM
DW and I had a short stay at the Poly last Dec, although we do enjoy the CR, we love the atmosphere of the Poly.:thumbsup:

jenperich
05-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I've never stayed in either one, but I have a great desire to stay in the Polynesian, and no desire to stay at the Contemporary. But some people absolutely love it there...it's not for me.

WDWTEXAS
05-12-2007, 05:17 PM
I voted for Poly. I have never stayed in either of them, but eaten at both. I like them both, but the theme at Poly put it over the top. CR seems like it needs more work, and Poly kind of has a "homey" feeling.

FalconeNJ
05-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Definately the Polynesian due to the theme of the resort.

DizneyFreak2002
05-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I prefer the theme of the Polynesian Resort... Disney has done a wonderful job of making you feel like you are really in the Polynesian area of the world.... Ohana is one of the best restaurants on property... Also, the view you get of the fireworks show from the beach is worth the price of admission....

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I would love to spend a night in a MK view room in the CR. It must be so cool to sit on your balcony and watch the fireworks high above the World.
:goofy: