PDA

View Full Version : Jr leaving DEI

baldburke
05-09-2007, 10:47 PM
When I came on tonight I was surprised there was no post for this. But the word on the street is an announcement is coming down tomorrow that Jr. (and Truex) are leaving DEI to expand JR Motorsports into cup racing. I'm not a Jr. fan (which is probably sacralege to most -- we're Dodge fans), we respect him as a driver and person. He has shown good maturity and made some wise decisions of the years. So good for him.

Marker
05-10-2007, 07:47 AM
He does have a press conference scheduled for later this morning to announce something. But at this point it's still speculation by "insiders". Who knows if those "insiders" are trying to make a story or if they have valid information. In the past couple of weeks I had also heard speculation that they had negotiated for the 51% they wanted at DEI. Either way, I suspect the press conference today will clear up the speculation.

JanetMegan
05-10-2007, 07:52 AM
I heard the same as you guys last night, NASCAR Now said it was re: him starting his own team. Then this am on the way in on the radio they said it was about him taking over DEI. I honestly wish almost that he and Truex would go out on their own instead of taking over DEI...I guess we'll find out at 11am.

Stich8818
05-10-2007, 07:58 AM
I read on Yahoo this morning that the "word" is that he will continue with his JR Motorsports banner with Martin Turex Jr(his contact is up too). They will still drive Chevy's and there is the talk of them getting engines from Hendrick or Childress. I think that Teresa really dropped the ball on this one, she could have done the right thing and given him the stake in the company wich was rightfully his and this could have been done and over with. Now DEI will be nothing more then a museum to the man who did build that company for his kids.

JanetMegan
05-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Now DEI will be nothing more then a museum to the man who did build that company for his kids.
Just wanted to say, that was VERY well said and I think a very accurate description of the future of DEI if all this goes down as it is predicted.

JanetMegan
05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
He's leaving DEI...

Marker
05-10-2007, 11:49 AM
nothing set for next year yet.

Stich8818
05-10-2007, 12:21 PM
I think what's going to happen is that JR will go drive for Richard Childress(which leases his engines to JR motorsports). JR will drive for RCR while in the process build his own team. This is were Martin Truex Jr will go. Then eventually Shane Huffman (Busch 88 navy car) will be the second car. It will almost be like what Dale SR did with RCR. Not to mention that he will be without a number...Hum..there is a certain number that is not being used that RCR owns the rights too..But for the life of me I cannot think of which one it is....:D

Marker
05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
But does the Childress team need another driver? Where would they put him? Don't know what the contract status is for Harvick, Burton or Bowyer... but frankly I'm not sure I'd be jumping to replace ANY of those guys with Dale Jr.

It occurred to me that perhaps this is a power play on Dale's part. If Budweiser says they'll follow him, that'll leave a big sponsor hole with DEI, that might be leverage.

on the lighter side....

Maybe he'll go drive for his former team mate, Michael Waltrip. HAHA. That would really irritate the Earnhart faithful...... Dale driving a TOYOTA!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

Or maybe he'll join Hendrick and become Jeff Gordon's team mate.... his fans wouldn't know who to throw their beer cans at. :cheers:

Earnhardt321
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
I am in a little bit of shock right now. I never thought that Theresa would actually let him go. There needs to be some major changes at DEI and I am not sure that they will ever happen now. I hope Jr gives his buch team somemore time to grow before he steps in to the owner/driver roll. Just look at Waltrip. I hope he would end up at Childress that would be awesome and he does have that extra driver spot since they can only have four drivers. I don't think he will go to Hendrick just because they already have 4 drivers. I just wish it hadn't come to this. I am and have been for a while wondering what on earth is going on at DEI. Guess I am going to have to ware out all my 8 stuff so I can buy new gear next year. Well that is just my :twocents:

BrerSchultzy
05-10-2007, 05:06 PM
The speculation around these parts is focusing on the possibility of Jr. going to Gibbs racing. The facts the local hacks are pointing to are as follows:
Jr. is a Redskins fan (and was wearing a Redskins cap at Charlotte qualifying)
Hamelin, Stewart and Jr. are friends (I hadn't heard that, but it's apparently a "well known fact")
Jr. wants to drive Chevys.

Personally, I think there's more of a chance of Jr. starting his own company...he's already got some great drivers, he and his sister have built a really special company, and, IMHO, Childress racing would be far more likely to give Jr. the #3 than Theresa.

Just thought I'd stir up the pot a bit.

Marker
05-11-2007, 07:43 AM
I had thought about the Gibbs possibility also. But it seems like I've read that Joe Gibbs avoids Alcohol products as sponsors, such as Budweiser.

But, if Jr is to stay with Chevy, that pretty much says Childress, Hindricks, or Gibbs, at least if we went with one of the big teams. The other option would be to do it under his own company, JR Racing. I don't really see any of the small teams having the $$$ to hire him.

BrerSchultzy
05-11-2007, 10:39 AM
There are rumors on a couple of websites that Childress Racing is holding a press conference this afternoon.....:secret:

Marker
05-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Another thing to consider, if NASCAR leave qualifying as it is today, if any of these owns ADD a new team, Jr will be forced to qualify on time next year. Otherwise, they have to put him in an existing ride.

But now, if NASCAR changes qualifying and backs off or gets rid of the top 35 (in owner points) automatically getting in, then everyone will say they did it just for Jr. You know how hungry people are for controversy and conspiracy (whether it exists or not).

BrerSchultzy
05-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Well...Richard Childress DID hold a press conference in Darlington...but all he said was he would love if Dale Jr. picked Childress (they would happily add a fourth car), but Dale Jr. said he's going to take a couple of weeks to make any kind of decision.

Oh well. Here's to hoping Tony Stewart does something really dumb, so we'll have something else to talk about for the next couple of weeks.

Scar
05-11-2007, 03:54 PM
As someone brand new to this sport, (thank Juan Pablo Montoya for that ;) ) I have a question:

How could Dale Sr. own DEI and race for a competing team? That sounds like a conflict of interest that would not be tolerated in any other sport.

Marker
05-11-2007, 05:13 PM
As someone brand new to this sport, (thank Juan Pablo Montoya for that ;) ) I have a question:

How could Dale Sr. own DEI and race for a competing team? That sounds like a conflict of interest that would not be tolerated in any other sport.

Not only is it allowed, it's not even all that unusual, especially in the Busch series. For that matter, Jeff Gordon is listed as the owner of Jimmy Johnson's car.

WDWfanatic742
05-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Would be kind of cool if he went to Hendrick though. Don't know if they want to give up Mears for him though. With Mears being on their team he has done alot better this year than before. What I have heard most though is Childress or Gibbs. If he goes to childress, they could always give him his father's number too. You never know...

Marker
05-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Something I can't help but wonder....

I know a team would be happy to have Jr, especially if he brings Budweiser (and their $$$) with him, but is Jr all he's built up to be? Is he really all that good? Without the nane "Earnhardt" would he be as popular as he is.

Stich8818
05-12-2007, 09:52 AM
In my opinion I dont think that he will go to Hendrick. I mean I know if Hendrick wanted it,it could probly happen. I think that Gibbs wont get him cause of the sponsorship as mentioned in previous posts. Ginn Racing owner Bobby Ginn has said as of last night he is interested in JR and wants to bring him in. But as JR said that he wants to compete right away and they are a couple of years off to compete. So that leaves RCR. Richard Childress was on ESPN's prerace show in the studio. The host flat out asked him "Are you interested?"...Richard looks at them and answers "Yes"..and Childress looked soo unconfortable he was really short on the answers and just tried to move on. It was very interesting. Childress did say that when JR is ready to talk (even though we all know they have already talked) he will be in front of the line. I guess we should know something within the next 3 months. I know the marketing people have to get all their ideas in to get stuff ready for Daytona so there has to be some sort of decision on what he will do.

handmaidenofprincesses
05-12-2007, 10:51 AM
If he goes to childress, they could always give him his father's number too. You never know...

i know a lot of ppl want him to drive the number 3, but i'm sorry, if i were him i wouldn't be able to do that... i don't know if i could handle driving in the same # that my father died in.... however, i do think it would be a cool tribute to him...

Anyways, the fans on fan sites are talking about every fan in earnhardt nation putting down twenty bucks and fielding a car for jr. idk if that will work, but it certainly sounds interesting!

SallyfromDE
05-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm glad to see Jr. leave TE. She seemed to forget that Dale wanted DEI for all his children, not just the one he had with her. When she runs the team into the ground, Jr and his sibs can buy it out from her. I thought it was pretty unsavory of her to be negiotating with Jr. and Kelly on ownership with the team, yet be "secretly" negioting a team merger. I can see Jr. going with RCR, he has a good relationship with him because of his Dad. RC doesn't own the #3, Nascar does. RC "leased" it from Nascara and I'm pretty sure that time frame has long ended. If JR. does start his own team, I can bet Kelly will be taking care of the owner "duties". Not that Jr. can't, but his focus is in the car. That seems to be where the problem lies when a car driver owns his own car. If Jr. doen't take the #8 with him, I'd like to know what all his fans are going to do with thier #8 tattoos?

Earnhardt321
05-12-2007, 01:43 PM
If I am not mistaken you can "lease" a number form NASCAR as long as you want. RCR still holds the rights to the #3 and has had it as an inactive number since 2001. I am glad I talked myself out of that 8 tattoo!!!

stormy57
05-13-2007, 08:54 AM
My guess is Jr will be driving #33 for RCR in 08.
It makes sense that he would follow in is fathers footsteps to RCR. I also think TE made a terrible mistake and DEI will not survive without Jr and the money he brings in.
Jr in #33 in 08!:thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
05-18-2007, 11:40 PM
My guess is Jr will be driving #33 for RCR in 08.
It makes sense that he would follow in is fathers footsteps to RCR. I also think TE made a terrible mistake and DEI will not survive without Jr and the money he brings in.
Jr in #33 in 08!:thumbsup:

I agrre. I think he'll go with RCR as well. He has a great relationship w/ Richard. His team as whole is improving again. I think he would be in something like 33 or 08 or something like that. I don't think he wants to get into the 3 yet, maybe in something like the all-star race or something as a tribute to his dad but I don't think he wants to run it full time.

SallyfromDE
05-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I just read that RCR and DEI have merged thier engine programs. I don't think JR. will being going to RCR, and that has been my thought all along. Kelly is doing "research" for JR.

Bethis26fan
05-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Sounded like Gordon is hoping Jr will come hendricks way.

Jeff
06-12-2007, 07:08 PM
JR to Hendrick!!!!!!!!!
YES! YES! YES!

Sorry Gordon haters but this makes me one very happy NASCAR fan. I never understand those who hate a driver because he is good (ie. Jeff Gordon). I have been a Gordon and a JR fan. Now they will be working together. IMHO it is GREAT! Jr and Jeff have always been class acts. It's great to have them together. '

At last we will see what JR can do with a good car and with the respect and backing of a owner who will put the kind of money and research needed into JR's operation. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

AnnieBananie
06-12-2007, 08:50 PM
I 2nd that hooray!!! I get tired of hearing all those J. Gordon haters. I've got no problem with Jr., either. Just seems that some people love to "hate" Gordon because he wins!! Hendrick will have an unbelieveable team next year!! It will be interesting to watch. (I live in Nascar country - about a mile from Lowe's Motor Speedway.):mickey::mickey::mickey:

SallyfromDE
06-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm a huge Jeff fan. And I happen to like Jr. to. Jr. hasn't had a mentor since his Dad passed and I'm glad to see that Rick can give him the help he's needed. I know from Jeff's boards, they are upset that Kyle is leaving. I say good ridance. I've never liked him. There is speculation on whether he was asked to leave or asked to leave. I think he asked. He's pulled a few stunts the last few months that I'm sure he's had an owner "chat' about and in all his cockiness, feels he can go someplace that will treat him better. I just hope Dale leaves the beer bottle throwers back at DEI.

BrerSchultzy
06-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I just hope Dale leaves the beer bottle throwers back at DEI.

That's pretty much a given...since he's going to their favorite target's team.

Problem is...they'll still be at the track.

Nascfan
06-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Congratulations and welcome to HMS Junior! :thumbsup:

As a Gordon fan, I welcome him with open arms. I really hope he'll be happy and successful at HMS. I can't understand people who claim to be his fans who are so upset about the move. Isn't the purpose of rooting for a driver in hopes that they'll win races and championships? It seems like this will certainly give him that opportunity to do just that.

Stich8818
06-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I told my wife when he left DEI that he would be going to Hendrick. She told me that I was crazy. Ha..showed her I guess. This was a good move for him. He's got the chance right now to win, compete every week , and give his fans to be happy every week.