PDA

View Full Version : Planning days spreadsheet or program?

iheartmickey
05-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Now that we have every thing set ... meals, flights, party tickets, etc. I really want to start organizing what we want to do each day.

I was wondering if any of you have a cool way you (Disney planning experts) keep track of all your plans. I was thinking like a spreadsheet or daily calender or something.

I've made lists of things we haven't done but would really like to. And list of each of our favorites.
We're going for 10 days :cloud9:, and I want to make sure everyone knows what our agenda is each day. ie, if we're going to go to park opening, sleeping late, pool time, nap time, fireworks, etc. That way the others on our trip will know what's in store and be less likely to rebel against MY plans! LOl! I also think if they know say Friday we'll be up very early they'll be more likely to retire early the night before. Also if they know we have a lazy morning later in the week they will be more likely to get up early a few times to catch the park openings.

Sorry that's so long .... just rationalizing my controling everything about our trip! LOL!

SallyfromDE
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I start by making a calendar with as many days as we're going. In each day, I mark the busy park days, (to avoid), the EMH (I also avoid). Then I figure out which day I want to spend in each park. Now I put in the hours of the park, parades. I make my ADR's, then fill in the confirmation #'s. When it's time to get ready to go, I print this information out on business cards so I can carry them around with me. I have a business card case and put them in that. I also use the back of the card for notes. If i have a special CM I want to remember. If there are other adults with me, I give them a copy to. I do bring the main calendar down with me, so if something changes. If the weather is bad one day for example, then I will still have what day a park is busy and the hours. Hope this helps you.

maizey05
05-09-2007, 02:06 PM
There is a place to do this on the Disney site. Go to where it says something like, "plan my Disney days". It lets you make a calendar with what you plan to do each day, and where ADRs are at and what time.

prttynpnk
05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I start by making a calendar with as many days as we're going. In each day, I mark the busy park days, (to avoid), the EMH (I also avoid). Then I figure out which day I want to spend in each park. Now I put in the hours of the park, parades. I make my ADR's, then fill in the confirmation #'s.

We download it into a palmpilot before the trip and just to be even more geeky- I add the sunrise and sunset times for each day and high and low temps. :secret:

Pipalotta
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I havent used this for vacation planning, but instead use it for work since I am a nanny for 3 girls. Google has a function to creat a calander and it is really easy and it is free.

disney100%
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I am a complete control freak when it comes to planning our trips. I actually create my own excel spreadsheet (yes, I am a little nerdy too) that I can customize. I'll send you a copy of the one I am working on for our 2008 trip if you are interested. I usually do all the planning for my family when we go - there will be 11 of us next time with three that are 3 and under, so I plan to have a very specific itinerary to share with everyone before we go. I also fill in all my confirmation numbers from my ADRs before we go too.

iheartmickey
05-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Thank you everyone for your great advice. :number1:

After the mention of Goggle calendar I realized we have iCal. Has anyone ever used it to plan a trip?

If I can't figure that out I might try the excell spreadsheet method.

I already have the spreadsheet for our ADR's and confirmation numbers, the ADR planning one from Intercot :thumbsup:. Just need to figure out the whole day planning method.

MsMin
05-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I am a complete control freak when it comes to planning our trips. I actually create my own excel spreadsheet (yes, I am a little nerdy too) that I can customize. I'll send you a copy of the one I am working on for our 2008 trip if you are interested. I usually do all the planning for my family when we go - there will be 11 of us next time with three that are 3 and under, so I plan to have a very specific itinerary to share with everyone before we go. I also fill in all my confirmation numbers from my ADRs before we go too.
:ditto: here. I have an excel sheet or sheets I use for the trip. There is a sheet for each park, special events, other activities, dining, resorts schedule, ADR's etc. I haven't updated it for this year yet but since I love stats and my kids are older I make them rate each ride as from 1-5 on whether they want to do it or not. They I put it together and we eliminate or add rides according to the groups input for that trip. We were very surprised to find that some of the thing we did b/c we thought everyone else wanted to do them and actually nobody wanted to spend their time doing it. It helped reduce the stopping to decide what to do next or someone worrying about not getting to do what they want. I started it in 2003 and the program has 12 sheets. You are welcome to it if you think you could use all or part. When I update I add the park times for the upcoming trip and new rides etc.

jenperich
05-10-2007, 04:58 AM
I am a complete control freak when it comes to planning our trips. I actually create my own excel spreadsheet (yes, I am a little nerdy too) that I can customize. I'll send you a copy of the one I am working on for our 2008 trip if you are interested.

I would actually like a copy of that if it's possible. :blush:

disney100%
05-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I would actually like a copy of that if it's possible. :blush:

I just e-mailed it to you. Enjoy!

Figment78
05-10-2007, 01:57 PM
I use an excel spreadsheet too. Each column is one day, each line is a 1/2 hour (times run down the left side.) At the top of each column I write the extra magic hour park(s) and what time it opens or closes. Then I write the regular closing times for each park at the bottom of the columns. I start with the parks that have the early or late hours we want to attend and I block off the morning or evening at the park. Each park has a specific color (Pink MK, Orange AK, Blue Epcot FW, etc). This helps me visualize how long we will have at each park, which park needs more time, if there is an early morning right after a late night, etc. I shade the "travel" times grey, factoring in 30-45 each time. Finally, I take our list of meals and plug them in, which always results in me moving parks around to make sure we aren't eating too much or too little each day!

Once I've made my ADR's I'll put the confirmation # right on this schedule and then I print it out in color. I take a few copies on the trip with us and take one to the park each day. That way if one gets wet or demolished, I have backups!

I'm such a nerd!

sgdisney
05-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh, what a bunch of geeks we are! I use an Excel spreadsheet too. Mine has the days across the top and each day is broken down into sections for Breakfast, Morning Activities, Lunch, Afternoon Activities, Dinner and Evening Activities. At the top under each day I list park hours, EMH, etc.
I usually fill it in my hand until plans are pretty much underway, then add all the info into the spreadsheet, print it out and take it with me. I've used it for about 5 trips and hope to use it again sometime soon!

mdricks
05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
TheRustyScupper had a great one. I used it last year. It had all the prices, EMH days, DDP credits...It rocked. I cant seem to find it anywhere though. The version i last used i think was ver.22.

wendy*darling
05-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I use an excel spreadsheet too. Each column is one day, each line is a 1/2 hour (times run down the left side.) At the top of each column I write the extra magic hour park(s) and what time ... Each park has a specific color (Pink MK, Orange AK, Blue Epcot FW, etc). ... That way if one gets wet or demolished, I have backups!
I'm such a nerd!

Oh, what a bunch of geeks we are!
...each day is broken down into sections for Breakfast, Morning Activities, Lunch, Afternoon Activities, Dinner and Evening Activities. At the top under each day I list park hours, EMH, etc.

This is exactly what I do!! (Total planning geek here! :thumbsup: )

But I started back in 1993 with a piece of poster board. I divided it up by marker into the parts of the day (as described above!) x 10 days (since I planned to use this for more trips). Each little box is the same size as one of those mini post-it notes that come in a ton of colors.
Then I write the park names, restaurants, etc on the post-its (which are color coded of course) and stick them on the board to start planning. Since they are post-its, I can easily move them around over and over again until I get it "just right" :D . That's when I put it all into Excel.

I still have the same board I started with in 1993 and use it for every trip. I think that is 14 trips now and the board is still going strong! :thumbsup:

iheartmickey
05-10-2007, 10:26 PM
I knew you guys would have great planning tools!

I love it all! Thank you for sharing!

I get made fun of for planning out our days. I'm glad you all understand.

iheartmickey
05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I knew you guys would have great planning tools!

I love it all! Thank you for sharing!

I get made fun of for planning out our days. I'm glad you all understand.

Harriet
05-11-2007, 05:08 AM
The Rustyscupper spreadsheet is on his website just google it and you will find it. I believe the last update was Aug.06. He updates I believe around July thru Sept. His last update includes the option if you have a DDE card as well as the DDP. Iuse this one for all my ADR'S It works like a charm for budgetting my expense.

Figment78
05-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Wendy Darling - I LOVE the idea of using a poster board and sticky notes! I'm so going to steal that for our next trip!!!! I'm sure the board could make it a really fun family project too. You could use pictures cut out from old brochures or maps. How fun!

What a great thread idea!

(Can you tell I get a little excited about planning trips to WDW? :blush: )

disney100%
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
(Can you tell I get a little excited about planning trips to WDW? :blush: )

Me too! I am probably driving my family crazy - I send them weekly tidbits about restaurants or rides we'll be going to, and our trip isn't even until February! My Aunt and Uncle haven't been since 1982, so I am trying to give them some useful info before we go.

septembergirl
05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I am in good company, it seems. My family makes fun of me but I am constantly printing off menus, park hours, maps, tips and other things of interest re: WDW. I am compiling several folders with this info so I can share it with my fam on the way there to get everyone pumped up. My kids don't know :secret: we have even reserved for September so they really think I am crazy.(They think I am just wishfully thinking.)

ALSO, I am a graphic designer so I have created my own itinerary sheets as well as a kind of survey for us to fill out at the end of our trip - kind of like a scrap book pages. Now I have exposed my self for who I really am.:blush:

tundramom
05-12-2007, 07:02 PM
;)
This is exactly what I do!! (Total planning geek here! :thumbsup: )

But I started back in 1993 with a piece of poster board. I divided it up by marker into the parts of the day (as described above!) x 10 days (since I planned to use this for more trips). Each little box is the same size as one of those mini post-it notes that come in a ton of colors.
Then I write the park names, restaurants, etc on the post-its (which are color coded of course) and stick them on the board to start planning. Since they are post-its, I can easily move them around over and over again until I get it "just right" :D . That's when I put it all into Excel.

I still have the same board I started with in 1993 and use it for every trip. I think that is 14 trips now and the board is still going strong! :thumbsup:

Oh Wendydarling-maybe we were twins seperated at birth:drama: That is EXACTLY the way I've been doing it since "98:secret: Kind of makes you want to:bolt: knowing there's another one out there like you doesn't it?

angedeaile
05-12-2007, 10:54 PM
OH I LOVE SPREADSHEETS!:number1:

Seriously...I make a spreadsheet for everything!

In regards to DW trips, I make one for my current budget and my disney savings, my DW schedule, my adrs and hotel information, packing list and must get suvies...pretty much any important info needed for the trip.

I even made one with every restaurant included on the DDP. It also mentioned locations and links to menus. That sure helped me when it came time to decide what ADRs to make.

My favorite is when folks ask me about my upcoming Disney trip.
"Hold on! Let me show you my spreadsheet!"

I was always this way. It is like an illness. Excelitis.

Whenever my brother complains about college life, I offer to make him a spreadsheet. Same for my mom whenever she complains about "busting the budget".

I am a nerd :blush: