PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #24

King Triton
05-09-2007, 09:03 AM
That you are using a computer while you're reading this tells me you're computer literate. It would be interesting to ask a question asking whether you use a computer to assist in planning a Disney vacation, but it wouldn't make much sense here, since the response would be close to 100%.

But, I'm curious about your computer usage when you're AT Disney World. Other than checking in or getting boarding passes for your ride home and using computers that are associated with attractions (Mission:Space, Innoventions, Imagination, etc.), do you use a computer when you are at Disney World?

A few clarifications I'm adding in:
- Using a Blackberry/Treo, smartphone that can browse the internet, receive email or send/receive messages is considered "using a computer".
- Don't take "Disney World" too literally. If you are staying offsite and use a computer at night, I'd consider that using one.
- If you bring a computer to do nothing more than save pictures from a digital camera, that should still be considered "using the computer".

Y100Q25 will appear in Attractions, most likely on Thursday.

I usually don't refer to past questions, but I placed the previous one in the "Vacation Planning Beyond Disney" thread. In case you missed it, you can find it here: Year of 100 Questions #23 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=104104)

The review of questions 11-20 will come out sometime next week. I'll post a link when its ready.

jodijo
05-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Last year was the first time I took my laptop. I loved it. I used it to blog our daily activities. I also downloaded my digital pictures each day. The kids loved to see the pictures and review the activities of the day!

GrmGrninGost
05-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I can't imagine taking time to use a computer while at WDW! I can do all that once I'm back home. It helps me to remember the trip and the fun times!:mickey:

darthmacho
05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
"Can't blog, eating...(gulping and chewing sounds)" as Darth Macho stuffs his Mickey ice cream into his mouth. :bar:

Mickey91
05-09-2007, 09:39 AM
I don't even write post cards til I get home!:mickey: We totally saturate in Disney while we're there and still don't do all things we want! We would never have time for a computer!:mickey:

avantgardeinker
05-09-2007, 09:39 AM
We bring along our laptop and upload all our pics from our digital camera every night. That way we have a totally empty memory card at the start of each day. Andy believe me... We definitely need it. We come close to filling up the card on some days and it's a pretty big card. Not sure exactly how big, my husband is the computer guru of the family.

211 more days!!
:mickey:

jenperich
05-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Last year was the first time I took my laptop. I loved it. I used it to blog our daily activities. I also downloaded my digital pictures each day. The kids loved to see the pictures and review the activities of the day!

I always thought that being on vacation meant not looking at your camera, your cell phone, or anything else electronic from your busy home life. But, that is a great reason to take your laptop, and we'll definitely think about taking ours in Nov.

merlinmagic4
05-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I use it to download pictures and read Intercot before I go to bed at night!! I would have withdrawal if I had to stay away for 8 or 9 days:rocks: I even started my trip reports while I was still there and asked a few questions, too!

SBETigg
05-09-2007, 09:54 AM
No laptops at Disney. It's vacation and downloading pictures and making trip reports will wait until we get home. The DH does bring his BlackBerry, because he can never truly get away from work, but it's left in the room and he only checks it when we're in room. So, yes, I guess we bring something but no, we don't.

MsMin
05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I always thought that being on vacation meant not looking at your camera, your cell phone, or anything else electronic from your busy home life. But, that is a great reason to take your laptop, and we'll definitely think about taking ours in Nov.
Not looking at my camera?? Vacation is one of the few times I use my camera :jaw: I sort of feel like when I have my camera, I'm on vacation :photo:
I let the kids download the pictures every night but they don't even get online to check email or anything. We took about 4500 pictures last year so we download and recharge every night even with a gig card (and 4 cameras) I don't consider using that "using"a computer but we do take a laptop for that purpose.

BigRedDad
05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
There are necessities. As long is it is not for work, it is ok. My VP was there a few weeks ago for a week. He was on every day doing work. I would only use one to upload digital photos.

Caroleh
05-09-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm on vacation...I don't need a computer. The DH brought the laptop along to download pictures and we didn't even use it. We'll probably bring it along, depending how many pictures I decide to take.;) :mickey:

k_reile
05-09-2007, 11:05 AM
there is no need for a computer at disney world...the point is to be away from your everyday life and do things you would not normally do.

January-2007
05-09-2007, 11:06 AM
No way, we don't ever use a computer while at WDW. We're there, there's so much to do, I would hate to think I wasted it just sitting in the room on the computer! There's too much to explore.

Dreamer7080
05-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I bring my laptop with me, but I answered no because I only use it to empty out my memory card for my digital camera. Aside from that, I dont go online or play any games while I'm on a Disney vacation. I'd much rather spend my time soaking up the Disney magic! :magic:

King Triton
05-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I almost should redo this question. I must not have been clear.

I'm seeing "NO" votes from people that bring their computer and copy their digital pictures. That's still using it and should have been a "YES" vote.

I'll edit the original...

Tynkerbelle
05-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't take my laptop - it's vacation!

I have enough large memory cards for my camera to last me through a two week trip.

If I'm really jonesing for internet, I may spend a few minutes on-line if I go to Disney Quest.

I also make it a point to try to avoid the business center while on vacation, but had to once while teaching an on-line class.....

Figgyluv03
05-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I'd only use to a computer to logon to intercot and let everyone know how our vacation is going or to upload pictures from my digital!

Spaceship Tigger
05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I can get over 600 pictures on one card of our digital camera, so I don't worry about emptying it out on a laptop. If I took more than that many pictures, I would feel like that was all I was doing on the trip. I write down all of our expenses and sort everything out on the computer after we get home.

4ubie1
05-09-2007, 01:34 PM
I have to say that when i am in WDW, I focus completely on WDW. :D A major advantage of WDW is that it let's people completely disconnect from the outside world if they wish to. :badpc: Honestly, a person staying on-site would have no reason to connect with the outside world...food, fun, and housing is all provided for you when you arrive in WDW. It really is a community unto self :thumbsup:

2Epcot
05-09-2007, 01:37 PM
My trip last summer was the first time to WDW since I owned a smart phone. I did use my Palm Treo to check the weather, including up-to-the-minute satalite images, so I could better judge rain showers. I also posted at least one question on Intercot while I was at the Poly, to get a last minute question answered for our group. I finally used the Treo to check in online for my Southwest flight while I was still at the park. As anyone who uses Southwest knows, it's all about the "A" boarding card. That only took a few minutes, then I continued with my last day at the park. I printed out the boarding pass when I got to the airport.

kathiep
05-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I go nowhere near computers. My laptop means is a symbol of work to me and I want to forget about that completely!

When I am in WDW, I like to disconnect from the real world and pretend WDW is my real world!

WDWfeelslikehome
05-09-2007, 10:47 PM
The only time I really need one is the ATM :eyes: and when I go to guest services to print our return boarding passes :sadwave: SO according to the criteria, I don't qualify, which is fine by me.:thumbsup:

Wolf
05-09-2007, 10:52 PM
We just use mine to make room on our memory cards every night. We never use the internet really, we decided "it'll still be there when we get home"

BritCody
05-10-2007, 07:13 AM
My Father always had a rule about vacations "No TV". He said that he didn't spend the money to go on vacation to watch TV. I have the same rule with my kids and I added no computers, portable dvd players or texting friends at home. We have extra memory cards for our camera so we don't need to download pictures. We are on vacation. It is ok on the plane and the ride to the resort, but once we are officially on Disney Property the rule is in place

Mom2princesses
05-10-2007, 08:47 AM
I am in the Information Technolgoy area for work. The last thing I want to touch is a computer while I am on vacation! I'm sure my boss would like it though! So no computer for me!

:mickey:

SurferStitch
05-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Not looking at my camera?? Vacation is one of the few times I use my camera :jaw: I sort of feel like when I have my camera, I'm on vacation :photo:
I let the kids download the pictures every night but they don't even get online to check email or anything. We took about 4500 pictures last year so we download and recharge every night even with a gig card (and 4 cameras) I don't consider using that "using"a computer but we do take a laptop for that purpose.

:ditto:

I don't really consider downloading pics as using the computer, but we do it. That's the ONLY thing we do with the laptop...download pics from our cameras. We also use gig cards and two cameras, plus one video camera. We easily fill the gig cards during the trip, so it's easiest to just download them and wipe them out each night. We sometimes download the video, too.

I never surf the web, email or do anything else with the laptop....just pics. It makes for more work when we get home, but I absolutely refuse to do any sort of work at all on vacation.

Vanlandingham
05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
I've considered taking a laptop in the past, but have never actually done it. I've always looked at my trips to WDW as the only chance I get every year to take a break and get away from everything like that for a while. Besides, if I really want news I just go and pick up a copy of the Orlando Sentinel.

lylone
05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I am in IT also, and was directed to leave my company issued laptop in my desk drawer at work while I was gone on vacation.
My boss knew me too well, because if I would have taken it I would have been connecting to work every night. It was a pill to come back to 10 days worth of emails, but made the trip a lot more enjoyable while it lasted.
As far as downloading pics off the camera to the laptop, I had purchased a 2gig memory card for my camera before I left and could have taken over 2500 pictures.
Also there are places in the world that will download your pics and save them to a CD for a fee.

Kairi_7378
05-10-2007, 01:03 PM
When I am on vacation, no one else exists except for my husband and I! (We don't have kids.) When the computer comes along, it is difficult to resist the temptation to check work e mail and hear about stresses that I went on vacation to get away from. For this reason, I did not take my computer with me. I understand that this makes me sound like a hermit, but that's the only way I can truely relax!

LoriMistress
05-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't understand why people bring their computers on vacation? You would think the whole purpose of going on vacation is to get away from it all.

mm59
05-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Years ago I left a managemant position that was 24 7. When on vacation I called 2 or 3 times a day to check on my store. Now I don't care to call except the Kids an Grand Kids. This is my time now:cloud9: No computers at all, just several cards for my camera:mickey: .

mdricks
05-10-2007, 06:04 PM
I guess im in the minority. I have a job that thinks bugging me once or twice a day is a vacation (and they would be right!)

I would rather get that occasional "i really hate to bug you but..." email on the treo then get home to smoldering ruins...

I do put an out-of-office message that states in no uncertian terms that my response is unlikly but dems da breaks.

dtootsie42
05-10-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't use the computer the entire time our family is at Disney. My hubby uses it to upload pictures that he has taken each day, he usually does that while the girls and I are at the pool enjoying an evening swim.

tinksmom02
05-10-2007, 11:03 PM
How about, we took the computer and didn't use it at all? LOL For me, there wasn't anything that HAD to be done on the computer that was worth the $10/day charge. Next trip, it's staying home!

My mom, on the other hand, wakes up ridiculously early and used her computer every day. She uploaded her pictures and played all her online games each morning.

KAT1811
05-13-2007, 01:21 PM
I leave the real world and all of its devices behind me when I enter those wonderful gates. That is one of my favorite things about WDW, the "real" world just melts away when I'm there!

mook3y
05-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Great place to empty your memory cards at the end of each day!

But surf the web, check email,etc... forgetaboutit! :D

Polynesian Dweller
05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Yep, I bring my laptop, but never for work, just info. Last year with a hurricane forecast during the week we were there, we were able to track it via NOAA much better than via TV. TV kept making it look like we'd get caught down there or have to leave early but the NOAA tracks made it clear we wouldn't. Made the trip much more enjoyable than it otherwise would have been.

Also, check out our pictures, keep track of a hobby we can do on the road (geocaching for those who know about it), weather back home, and intercot. use it about 2-3 nights out of a 7 or 8 night trip.

Bethanymouse
05-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Disney is my escape from all of that! No computers for me!~

Crow
05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
i used it last time at Shades of Green just to check email etc but ive never carried one w me and used

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-17-2007, 10:32 PM
We bring the laptop too, to download pictures and to have another way for the boys to watch a DVD since the Princess takes the portable DVD player. :thumbsup:

TennesseeTink
05-17-2007, 11:05 PM
I have to say that when i am in WDW, I focus completely on WDW. :D A major advantage of WDW is that it let's people completely disconnect from the outside world if they wish to. :badpc: Honestly, a person staying on-site would have no reason to connect with the outside world...food, fun, and housing is all provided for you when you arrive in WDW. It really is a community unto self :thumbsup:

We take DH laptop to upload pics every night. We all love looking at them before we go to bed and dream Disney dreams. We don't use it to connect with the outside world at all.

JCDarzi
05-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Our computer has come in handy sometimes. Mainly we have used it to download pictures from the digital camera. Occasionally we've used it for checking discussion boards for advice before choosing a restaurant while at Disney.

Magic Smiles
05-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Our upcoming Dec 07 trip will be our first time taking a laptop with us. This way we can view both our photos and video which I will be taking with our new camcorder!

iceicebritney
05-19-2007, 11:29 PM
i have to have my laptop in order to store and upload my videos and photos from the day. i also like to have it to watch movies during the daily summer thunderstorms in the afternoons when were stuck at the hotel, and can't go in the pool.

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I say don't even bring the computer unless your there for a confrence! Why would you bring a computer to the happiest place on earth? There is not enough to entertain you?
:goofy: