PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian~What should I know???

Jen66
05-08-2007, 02:15 PM
I just changed our AKL standard view room to GF Theme park view. I have never been here and would love to know what to expect. Anyone have any good experiences? It seems to be an absollutley beautiful hotel. My kids are 10 and 12, will they enjoy the pools?
Thanks!!

Bruegge
05-08-2007, 03:34 PM
get two rooms and I'll be your guide....LOL

You're gonna love it. Beautiful, the peach of disney hotels, Great spa, nice pools, food is wonderful, I got to do narcoosees each visit. Monorail stop right out front just like Poly, Boat to MK, Boat rental onsite... tough to beat this place... Only downside is no wild animals outside your window ...but hey,

Scott

SBETigg
05-08-2007, 03:44 PM
It's a lovely resort, amazing pools, hot tubs, spa. Your kids, and you, will probably really enjoy it. It's our favorite resort. We honeymooned there and we're going back this year for our 17th anniversary. We had a room facing the marina and we could watch them bringing the Electrical Water Pageant out every night. Try to catch that from the beach (or from your balcony) one night- it passes the GF at 9:15.

Great restaurants, nice shops, with a feeling of relaxed elegance all around. And the proximity to the MK! So magical. Enjoy!

Aunt Kitty's friend
05-08-2007, 08:36 PM
We have stayed there every year for the past ten years. My son was 11 when we first stayed there and it is by far our favorite resort. Hope you enjoy being pampered.:mickey:

TammiMcMan
05-08-2007, 09:04 PM
We've had nothing but great experiences at the GF. It continues to be my families favorite resort.

When are you going? They are going to start rehabbing the rooms over the summer and should be finished by the holidays. We were there in 2000, which was their last full rehab and can honestly say, that it didn't affect us in the least. There's a restaurant rehab going on now with 1900 Park Fare, so they've moved the character dining into the Cafe.

alpro2
05-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I have stayed at AKL and love it, but IMO, it doesn't come close to the GF. You and the kids will have a great time. :thumbsup:

Namine'
05-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I have stayed at both AKL and GF. AK was great and had alot of fun but GF was the best of the best. We had a great time with royal treatment. I know you and your family will enjoy it too. Have a great time.:mickey:

cinderellagrl
05-09-2007, 09:34 AM
GREAT CHOICE! I just returned in a couple of months ago! There is nothing like riding the monorail back from MK at night, seeing the GF lit up and saying, "wow.. I am staying there!" The resort is gorgeous! My group loved the pools... the newer pool is gorgeous with a waterfall and a great slide! The quiet pool is also quite nice. There are activities throughout the day such as ladybug releases.. fun fun! I also suggest slowing down and taking time to just sit within the lobby, listening to music and relaxing. If the kids can't/won't sit still allow them to browse the giftshop while the parents enjoy a few minutes of "alone" time.

I would also recommend dining at 1900 park fare (character meal) for the kids and/or dinning at Narcooses about an hour before Wishes! They dim the lights and stream in music just like at Cali Grill, but personally I like the view from Narcooses better!

Make sure to take the time and explore the resort. Walk slowly and take it all in!

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
05-09-2007, 09:40 AM
You'll have a tough time staying anywhere else in the future. Enjoy some afternoon time in the main building and listen to the orchestra (or piano player).

TammiMcMan
05-09-2007, 09:43 AM
There are activities throughout the day such as ladybug releases.. fun fun!Oh thank goodness, hopefully someone with answers on this subject..... Does your GF newsletter state the times and days of the week that the ladybug release is available on, or do you remember them? We've been having the hardest time getting any type of confirmation on this activity.