PDA

View Full Version : Ty Pennington Arrested for DUI

PirateLover
05-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Ty Pennington Arrested for DUI

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" star Ty Pennington was arrested early Saturday morning in Los Angeles on suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol and drugs while driving.

The carpenter, who got his start on the TLC hit "Trading Spaces," was arrested at 12:35 AM. He was released two hours later after posting $5000 bail.

bleukarma
05-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Oh that makes me so sad!!! :( I love Ty!!!

Jasper
05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Hopefully this is just a one time mistake on his part and not an indication of bigger problems in his life. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't advocate drinking and driving under ANY conditions but at the same time we all make mistakes now and again.

If this is his one big oops then he needs to deal with it and move on. If however, he continues to exhibit bad judgement in his choices than he needs to get help. Only Mr. Pennington and his family and friends can say which is the case.

Ian
05-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm not going to say I'm shocked, because I think a large portion of stars abuse drugs and alcohol. I just think most of them don't drive themselves when they do it. They have drivers, bodyguards, etc. who drive them around.

It's a shame, though, because it will taint EM:HE and I think that's a decent show. I wonder if Disney will dismiss him?

PirateLover
05-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm not going to say I'm shocked, because I think a large portion of stars abuse drugs and alcohol. I just think most of them don't drive themselves when they do it. They have drivers, bodyguards, etc. who drive them around.

I agree. It is one thing to abuse your own body. But once you get behind the wheel, you are endangering the lives of everybody else, and that is just not cool. I will never understand why celebrities who can certainly afford a driver (or at least a cab!) choose to drive themselves when they know they will be partying or indulging...

DizneyRox
05-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm not terribly shocked either.

Disney is in a bit of a pickle on this one. He should be dismissed, but the show would certainly go downhill without him. Maybe Paige Davis could fill in.

mtown71
05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Oh that makes me so sad!!! :( I love Ty!!!

:ditto: :ditto:
I am shocked about this one.

PirateLover
05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition host Ty Pennington, who was arrested for suspicion of driving while under the influence of alcohol and drugs, just released the following statement:

"I made an error in judgment. We all make mistakes, however this is about accountability. Under no circumstances should anyone consume alcohol while driving. I could have jeopardized the lives of others and I am grateful there was no accident or harm done to anyone. This was my wake-up call. I also want to apologize to my fans, ABC Television and my design team for my lapse in judgment and the embarrassment I have caused."

2Epcot
05-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Most of these stars can easily afford to have people drive them around, but they choose not to. They also can afford to buy the nicest luxury cars, so they want to drive them themselves as well. Unfortunately hundreds on non-celebrities do this every day as well, they just don't make the news like the stars do ... at least not until they kill someone.

Clotho
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm not terribly shocked either.

Disney is in a bit of a pickle on this one. He should be dismissed, but the show would certainly go downhill without him. Maybe Paige Davis could fill in.

This kind of reaction always shocks me. Really? He should be fired? Because the very NATURE of being under the influence is not being able to make sound decisions. He drank too much and made a bad choice. I am grateful no one was hurt.

Now if this was a repeat offense, or we knew he had recurring drug or alcohol problems and this was a symptom, then I would say, "Maybe it's time to rethink his contract." But one mistake does not an "EVIL DRUNK" make.

Queen Stephanie
05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Sad, sad...:(

DizneyRox
05-07-2007, 09:08 PM
This kind of reaction always shocks me. Really? He should be fired? Because the very NATURE of being under the influence is not being able to make sound decisions. He drank too much and made a bad choice. I am grateful no one was hurt.

Now if this was a repeat offense, or we knew he had recurring drug or alcohol problems and this was a symptom, then I would say, "Maybe it's time to rethink his contract." But one mistake does not an "EVIL DRUNK" make.
He was only caught once, that doesn't mean he doesn't do it all the time. I think he's more sorry he got caught, not that he was drinking while driving.

They make a lot of money under contract from ABC (Disney). Part of the deal I'm sure is to maintain a certain image, obviously the Disney image doesn't include driving while drunk. I'm fairly certain that at least one of the shows was made to help a family who had lost someone to a drunk driver, or something along those lines. How can they have the host of the show be taken seriously when he's been caught doing the same thing.

So yes, I stand by my statement...

It was a decision to get drunk in the first place, how the decisions made after that point can be excused is something I just don't understand. I also think that killing under the influence is murder, not manslaughter.

NotaGeek
05-08-2007, 01:40 AM
He was only caught once, that doesn't mean he doesn't do it all the time. I think he's more sorry he got caught, not that he was drinking while driving.

They make a lot of money under contract from ABC (Disney). Part of the deal I'm sure is to maintain a certain image, obviously the Disney image doesn't include driving while drunk. I'm fairly certain that at least one of the shows was made to help a family who had lost someone to a drunk driver, or something along those lines. How can they have the host of the show be taken seriously when he's been caught doing the same thing.

So yes, I stand by my statement...

It was a decision to get drunk in the first place, how the decisions made after that point can be excused is something I just don't understand. I also think that killing under the influence is murder, not manslaughter.

I think they should fire him and cancel the show because the show has become such a boring and completely self serving commercial for Sears and the other sponsors.

Ty getting a DUI is not the end of the world, and since it's Hollywood odds are he will get off light. It seems that Hollywood's DUI laws are the most lenient int he nation.

Get a DUI in Phoenix and EVERYONE is guaranteed at least 3 whole days in Sheriff Joe's Tent City, and that is NOT including time served ... it's a minimum of 3 days in jail plus all fines etc.

ChipnDaleGal
05-08-2007, 07:17 AM

I always liked Ty and am disappointed that he would be so stupid. And I am sure he isn't an EVIL DRUNK, but he is lucky he didn't get into an accident and hurt or killed someone. That kind of mistake changes the innocent lives of other people. All the good he has done could be completely overshadowed by this. It is a real shame.

LibertyTreeGal
05-08-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm sure torn about this one -- I have had several friends murdered by drunk drivers, and it was never the perpetator's first offense. I myself have been hit by two drunks, and when my father finally got arrested, he had been doing it for 20 years -- he just never got caught.

When you go out drinking and have no way to get home but to use your car, it amounts to premeditation in my book. You have a choice you make with every single drink.

Too bad he didn't have a night like my father's -- he was wearing a kilt "regimental" (with nothing on underneath) at the time. So he had to spend the night in a small town redneck drunk tank in a skirt with no underwear on, and my mom refused to bail him out. He NEVER did it again.... :thumbsup:

If he did this in California he is not going to have fun with it, they nail you hard the first time nowadays.

Marker
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM

And it doesn't mean he does either. And how does anyone KNOW what he is or isn't sorry for, other than the man himself. All we have to go on is a "news" story, not really enough for me to make judgements.

I think they should fire him and cancel the show because the show has become such a boring and completely self serving commercial for Sears and the other sponsors.

He should be fired simply because you don't like the show? Wow, I don't know who your cell phone carrier is, but hope you are satisfied with it, otherwise you might want me fired too.

I'm not going to say I'm shocked, because I think a large portion of stars abuse drugs and alcohol.

Can't disagree, but don't really think you can single out "stars". I think a large portion of the population abuses drugs and alcohol, at least at one time or another. I would wager there are people around you in your every day life, even right here at good ol' Intercot, who are just as guilty.

All I'm saying in all of this is, I think we need to be cautious of how quickly we are willing to make such harsh character judgements and cast stones based on VERY limited factual information. And to me, it doesn't sound like he's trying to hide from the accountability, that speaks to character also.

Clotho
05-09-2007, 01:58 AM
All I'm saying in all of this is, I think we need to be cautious of how quickly we are willing to make such harsh character judgements and cast stones based on VERY limited factual information. And to me, it doesn't sound like he's trying to hide from the accountability, that speaks to character also.

Yes, Absolutely. As I was saying, I know people who have made this mistake, and yes it is a blessing that they did not harm others or themselves. But they were not "frequent abusers of alcohol and drugs", nor were they "just sorry they got caught", or any other harsh accusation that has been leveled against Ty. Surely it is a wake-up call as to how easily one can MAKE this mistake, and sometimes having a does of reality is the only way any of us learn. We are human. So let's not be so hasty to throw those stones...:(

Melanie
05-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Moderator Alert: It seems like we've been having to do this more and more recently, and it saddens me. :(

Please remember that your own point and opinion can be voiced without disrespecting another's opinion.

LibertyTreeGal
05-25-2007, 05:25 PM
LOS ANGELES - Ty Pennington, host of ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," pleaded no contest Friday in a misdemeanor drunken driving case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Pennington, 42, had been charged with two misdemeanor counts — driving with a blood-alcohol level above the 0.08 percent limit and driving under the influence of alcohol.

He pleaded no contest to the first count and the other count was dismissed, said Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the city attorney's office. Mateljan said it was a normal disposition for a first offense.

A judge placed Pennington on three years' probation, restricted his driving privileges for 90 days and ordered him to participate in a 90-day alcohol program and attend a Mothers Against Drunk Drivers meeting, Mateljan said.

He faced up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine if convicted of the charges by a Superior Court jury.

Pennington was arrested May 5 and released after posting $5,000 bail.

"I'm happy to bring closure to my recent court proceedings," Pennington said in a statement released by publicist Stan Rosenfield. "Drinking and driving is never acceptable. I have pleaded no contest and will abide by the court's ruling."