PDA

View Full Version : Spring Fling April 20-29, 2007 Day 1

Mickey'sGirl
05-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Me: Jennifer (Galactic Hero -- 37yr old in a 60yr old body with a 12yr old approach!)
DH: Brian (39) – my partner in crime for 14 married years (on Apr 17) and numerous WDW adventures!
DS8: Harry – seasoned WDW veteran, lover of the shooting gallery and arcades – usually patient and accommodating older sibling.
DS3: Euan – knows his way around the parks – fan of Splash, Test Track, TTA and Spaceship Earth. “If he’s not running; he’s asleep!”

Day 1 – Friday April 20, 20007

We got up at our normal time and let the boys sleep in until about 7. All we had to do was pack the car up and leave to take the doggies to the Pet Nanny at 9:30. We left them and all their gear and were on our way just after 10 am. We were driving from just east of Toronto to Buffalo New York, via the Queenstown-Lewistown Bridge. Our airfare was about 1/3 of the cost because we were flying out of Buffalo, so we decided to give it a go. We hit a bit of traffic and crossed the border at about 12:30, and then we were parking our car at the Buffalo International Airport within the hour. A little shuttle bus picked us up to take us to the Terminal (after Euan “accidentally pushed” the emergency panic button on a pole). Brian had printed our boarding passes on Thursday, so all we had to do was check our bags in and feed the kiddies. There were no lines to speak of at the check in kiosk, nor were there any at Security. What a painless way to travel! We are so used to the constant queuing and waiting at Pearson – Give me a small airport any day!!! We killed some time in the Fisher Price Play Area, and then boarded the plane at about 2:30. We had a great flight – landing in Orlando a bit early at 5:11 – Unfortunately we had to wait over an hour for our bags to arrive on the luggage carrousel…… That was a lot of fun….especially with an active 3-year old who had just been restrained for the past 2 ½ hours. My shoulders are still aching!! Our luggage finally arrived, and we crossed over to the parking area to retrieve our rental car. Brian had joined the “preferred” club at Avis – so check in was a breeze – and we were on our way to the French Quarter by about 6:30. We were anxious to get there, as my Cousin Pogo and his bride were going to meet us for dinner at 7.

It was an easy ride over to the resort….Brian and I checked in whilst the boys got caught up with their Channel 96 shorts playing in the lobby…..We were assigned room 3101….Ground floor and non-smoking – so what we asked for – but it was also a corner room near the parking lot….Terrific! We popped out to the pool bar to let Pogo and Patti know that we had finally arrived then quickly went to our room to freshen up. We had a 7:40 reservation at Boatwright’s over at Riverside – and it was Pogo and Patti’s anniversary dinner – so we didn’t want to be late! It was a lovely stroll over to Riverside – Brian, Pogo and Harry were ahead of Patti, Euan and I – and talking with them was like talking to old friends. We feel like we have known them forever, although this was our first meeting!

I had advised Dining last month that it was a special anniversary dinner, and called the restaurant directly Friday morning to emphasize the fact – and then told the CM at check in that we were celebrating a very special anniversary with our friends…..but nothing came of it. Not a word….nobody seemed to mind (and good thing Mr. Romance (aka Pogo) had a surprise carriage ride pre-arranged for his bride! We ordered drinks – Riesling for Pogo and Patti, a beer for Brian and a Hurricane for me. I assume that my drink was very refreshing, but since about 95% ended up on my stomach and lap, I will never know for sure. Euan knocked it over while reaching for something. Of course my dear Cousin had to remark on my drinking problem….. I just ordered another to prove that I could indeed hold my liquor. Dinner was good – we all had Jambalaya (very ricey portions – quite filling), Harry had pizza and Euan had plain buttered pasta and some chicken noodle soup --- Fortunately for Harry, and unfortunately for Euey, DS3 fell asleep on my lap just after burning his tongue on the soup, and just prior to the arrival of his dinner. Pogo and Patti had to excuse themselves at 9:15, as they had a special anniversary carriage ride arranged for half past.

We headed back to our room, taking turns carrying our very large sleeping child. We put Euan right to bed, and Brian and Harry went out to the Arcade to play for a while – and to bring me some yummy Nescafe. I stayed in the room to unpack our belongings and organize ourselves a bit. I wish I had have thought to send the camera along with Brian and Harry so that they could seek Pogo and Patti out and get some pictures for them. Ah well….hindsight is 20/20. It was a very full first day and we had to get up early to get over to MGM to ride RnR in the morning.

HndrdPrcnt
05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Great start!! Too bad about the hurricane in the lap. Oh well, what do you do?!?!?! It could be worse, you could've not been at Disney!:thumbsup:

poeticeclipse
05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Great start!! Too bad about the hurricane in the lap. Oh well, what do you do?!?!?! It could be worse, you could've not been at Disney!:thumbsup:

Just what I was thinking!

Love the trip report... will read more!

pogo
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
:hi: Cousin,

I was wondering where your trip reports were.

We loved getting to know your family. We were very comfortable with you and could just be ourselves, which we really enjoyed.:thumbsup:

I wasn't going to tell everybody about your drink accident. To me it was no big deal. O.K...... so I laughed:funny: ..... I was thinking.... better on you than me !;)

Patti and I hope we can get together again with you at WDW. :hug: It was a blast !

I love your discription of your self. :D

offwego
05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
A great report..glad the airport part went smoothly. Sorry the anniversary thing didn't work out.

I had birthday dinner go that way (not my last one the one before) it's much worse for the planner then the person celebrating according to dh.

Glad you've got such a neat room.

disneydrmr
05-07-2007, 02:58 PM

You got that right! A Hurricane in the lap at Disney is SO MUCH better than a Hurricane in your lap anywhere else! :D

Sounds like you are off to a great start Jenn!

KylesMom
05-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Glad to see your posts are up, Jenn! I guess you'll be flying out of Buffalo more often, huh? Wonderful that you were able to meet Pogo & Patti your first night.

Well, I'm off to read Day 2!:mickey:

sleepingbooty
05-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Off to a great start! Now, I'm curious, Is Pogo an actual cousin, or is that a term of endearment, Ohana-style? Would be amazing to run into a blood relative on Intercot!

Mickey'sGirl
05-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Now, I'm curious, Is Pogo an actual cousin, or is that a term of endearment, Ohana-style? Would be amazing to run into a blood relative on Intercot! It is a term of endearment -- 'Ohana-style for sure. Rochester is right across Lake Ontario from Toronto, so we could very likely be cousins from generations ago.....

BriarRose0708
05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Doesn't the Buffalo airport rock????? I am actually surprised you didn't run into more delays on the bridge, that is usually the worst one, in my opinion.

Great report, off to read the rest!:mickey:

faline
05-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Travel days are always so tiring! At least you had a nice, relaxed meal to top it off! Better, yet, you got in a mini-meet as well!

January-2007
05-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for reporting. :thumbsup:

It's so interesting to read two different perspectives of the same events (your trip report, Pogo's trip report). Such a lovely start to your vacation, so glad you enjoyed yourselves (for the most part). :mickey:

DizNee143
05-08-2007, 02:10 PM
what a long and busy day!! sounds like your trip is starting off very nice...cant wait to read about the rest of it!! :mickey:

Dsnygirl
05-09-2007, 12:52 AM
:mickey: Sounds like you had a great first day, even with the Hurricane in your lap! ;) I'm jealous you got to meet Pogo & Patti - that must have been fun. Thanks for sharing Day One - now I'm off to read Day Two!

Christine
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Jen, sounds like a great start...even wearing your hurricane vs. drinking it! Off to read day 2...

pdrlkr
05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

mrsgaribaldi
05-12-2007, 02:31 AM
Sounds good, even with the hurricane;) Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
05-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for sharing your report.

ElenitaB
05-13-2007, 11:33 PM
What a long first day but glad that you got to meet Pogo and Patti!

As for the hurricane, I can assure you that it's definitely better to have one on your lap at WDW, than to actually be in one at WDW! :rain:

marlyn
05-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Jenn...your flight sure sounds a lot less stressful than mine!! Your first night sounds wonderful. I agree about how wonderful Pogo and Patti are! I laughed about your spilled drink...I can so relate to that!